[WNL7] Suggestions

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OurGloriousLeader said:
It's likely a bit late, but wouldn't a simpler solution to the rematches issue in Div A be to simply make it round-robin? There are 5 league match weeks, 5 potential opponents, and there's been no rematches yet in the first 3 weeks.

because of a mistaken rule change last week there is no way to avoid rematches in Div A. Better to stick with the original ruleset.

Kiano said:
Isn't week 5 the promotion matches? Or do other teams not involved in those matches still play?

all teams not in promotion matches play the laddder as usual.

Aeronwen said:
OurGloriousLeader said:
It's likely a bit late, but wouldn't a simpler solution to the rematches issue in Div A be to simply make it round-robin? There are 5 league match weeks, 5 potential opponents, and there's been no rematches yet in the first 3 weeks.

because of a mistaken rule change last week there is no way to avoid rematches in Div A. Better to stick with the original ruleset.

Explain that to malta, seems a bit unfair for them atm, seemed more fair after the undersntandable mistake, to rematch with the teams who actually had more even scores in the matches already played

Charlini said:
Explain that to malta, seems a bit unfair for them atm, seemed more fair after the undersntandable mistake, to rematch with the teams who actually had more even scores in the matches already played

Thanks mate - it's true, we're not entirely happy with the situation. However we understand that ofc the admins didn't put us in this spot deliberately, so we'll try and make the best of it (:

Rematches are always unfair. The loosing team usually loose twice and the winning ones bs points get the hit. Divisions so small should be round robin. Don't get me wrong. I admire the effort you put into running the tournament, which enormous but you shoot yourself in the foot by not keeping things simple.

It was mathematically impossible to not have rematches, please look at my explanation. It was impossible. We needed to do that change before the season, which we didn't. Then we tried to fix it before week 3, but it turns out it was too late.

Scar said:
It was mathematically impossible to not have rematches, please look at my explanation. It was impossible. We needed to do that change before the season, which we didn't. Then we tried to fix it before week 3, but it turns out it was too late.

Yes, I understand. Do we need to restore rematches for divisions B and C though?

Harman said:
Scar said:

Yes, I understand. Do we need to restore rematches for divisions B and C though?

yes,

It will remain the case that rematches on consecutive weeks will not happen. But rematches in general are to be expected in the nature of the tournament.

what about just forget about all the rules and make everyone play vs each other no matter what points they have or ranking they are in

Normanguy said:
OurGloriousLeader said:

this? hello?

Well gg, good luck for the of the teams in the tourny

Aeronwen said:
I believe the only way for you and OGL to understand is to draw up the proposed fixtures for yourselves. 
(Late and hurried changes made because of this sort of request is what caused the problem in the first place.)

Allowing rematches is what cause 'the problem' in the first place. Last week change only delayed the moment we have to deal with this 'issue' (apparently it couldn't been fixed for division with 6 teams). For future seasons, please consider simple tournament formats, like league with pure round-roubin or swiss system. Introducing even minor modifications to those formats cause problems that show up when there's imposible to fix them. With small divisions, simple round-robin would be enough. It would select the winners of div A and promotions for lower leagues. it's fair, clean and understandable for everyone.

Random rematches + mid-season promos + knock-out stage is just too much of a mess.

One more reason for round robin - it will help keeping player stats clean. With current rules, it will be hard to present them after mid-season promos.

Yes it's impossible to make fixtures now without a team sitting or a team playing 2 in a week, but if round-robin had been planned in advance it would have been possible. In future rematches being disallowed must be made a priority. Harman made a great post here detailing a lot of possible changes the last time for leagues that can't do round robin also.

Let's make this the last time we're all arguing about it 3 days before actual matches and all remember to bring it up at the start of tournaments next time!

The reason we didn't go with round robin was because it would have been done after 5 weeks for Division A, and there wouldn't have been a point in having a KO stage afterwards. We already acknowledged the problems that rematches bring with themselves, which is the only reason we changed the rules last week.

That being said, I believe the way the table is sorted at the moment is not too far off the actual team strength. Considering the mid season promotions actually require the Division A teams to lose their match against their constants from Division B, I don't think they are unfair either - even if you end up in these promotion matches because the ladder didn't sort as it should have. And, at the end of the day, we still have the knockout stage that will cleanly determine the correct placements regardless of how you played in the ladder stage.

Therefore, again, we apologise for the situation that the rule change last week recreated. Before next tournament we will think of a better system. Regardless, we are still confident the tournament will play fairly in terms of final placements.

I don't know where else to post this but since EU switches to Summer Time tonight I assume the matches scheduled at ..:.. GMT will be = to ..:.. BST

Ex. A match scheduled at 19:00GMT = 19:00BST on Sunday meaning that everyone uses the new timezones and not the old ones

Might still sound confusing but it will help people to remember not to convert their timezones to GMT :smile:

The_Cardboard_Box said:
I don't know where else to post this but since EU switches to Summer Time tonight I assume the matches scheduled at ..:.. GMT will be = to ..:.. BST

Ex. A match scheduled at 19:00GMT = 19:00BST on Sunday meaning that everyone uses the new timezones and not the old ones

Might still sound confusing but it will help people to remember not to convert their timezones to GMT :smile:

Yes thanks

If it helps this is a countdown to Sunday 19:00 BST

Question here!

the 6th placed team on the ladder of division A is automatically relegated but this happens after the knockout stages? So what happens if by some miracle the 6th placed team in Div A wins the knockout stage or even gets runner up? are they still relegated

Pretty sure that the team to be relegated is the last team of the knockout stage, thus 5th/7th place matches in divisions A and B respectively.

Erminas said:
Pretty sure that the team to be relegated is the last team of the knockout stage, thus 5th/7th place matches in divisions A and B respectively.
Yeah exactly, the final standings of the regular ladder only matters for the seeding for the KO stage. The KO stages determines the final standings for this season and thus also the seeding for the post season promotions. That being said, was are currently discussing whether we will have autorelegation after the season, or actual promotion matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom