Why is Tactics so focused on simulation?

Users who are viewing this thread

The game did have quite a few bugs and a hilariously awful translation, but if you could look past that, it had some very interesting design ideas in it. I always tried to recommend it to mod authors, who might be able to borrow some of its ideas. Like, it had a freelancer system that was actually pretty fun and rewarding, and probably the most complex and in-depth custom troop systems I'd ever seen. Too complex to be fun, but interesting nonetheless.

It also had something very similar to Distinguished Service. That was when I first realized how cool it was to have companions who were elevated troops rather than tavern ornaments.

I like the idea of said perks enhancing troop performance while in formations, like choosing between higher shield resistance while in shield wall or increased mount charge damage while in skein, but I think we would benefit more from additional options in pre-battle, like being able to create an ambush while engaging in a forest, or positioning cavalry to sally out during sieges.

Maybe we could even have an option to prepare a battlefield, so when you see that pesky Khuzait 2k army incoming you could set up a camp to build defenses such as placing spikes or digging trenches (not WWI like, but smaller holes to deter cavalry).

Maybe orders such as Shield Wall should be something that you unlock through a Tactics perk.
Or they could add some new advanced orders that you can give to troops, and you need high level tactics to learn them.
giphy.gif

If only...

Am I missing a large section of the player base that chooses to mostly auto-resolve fights? And if so, what else do you do in this game??

If you are gonna put a lot of points in roguery, you might as well put a lot of points in tactics, since they share the same attribute and you are gonna be capturing more slaves than the roman empire in it's whole timespan if you ever wanna get enough roguery xp.

There's your reason to auto-resolve battles: grinding for xp. Is it a good reason? No, but a reason nonetheless...

Maybe orders such as Shield Wall should be something that you unlock through a Tactics perk.

That's going to create a situation where you dump attribute points in to Cunning and focus points towards Tactics on every single character, regardless of what you actually want to do with them, just so you can have an effective defense against Khuzaits and Vlandians.

Or they could add some new advanced orders that you can give to troops, and you need high level tactics to learn them.

On the other hand, unless they add bonuses to the troops themselves, most of the advanced formations probably won't function well enough to justify doing a damned things with the Tactics tree.

I'd prefer if it just brought back Battle Advantage, but I'll be the first to admit you could absolutely cheese that feature in Warband.

Imho this is a bad idea. It locks core parts of battle tactics behind perks and in turn it forces you to spec into that tree. The whole idea of tactics is just a bad hold over from WB. It should've been dumped or split into other trees it adds nothing to the player's enjoyment.

Imho this is a bad idea. It locks core parts of battle tactics behind perks and in turn it forces you to spec into that tree. The whole idea of tactics is just a bad hold over from WB. It should've been dumped or split into other trees it adds nothing to the player's enjoyment.

+1

If my Tactics skill is high, then i must be sweaty-warrior or war-like commander. If some NPC's Tactics skill is high, then she/he must be a warrior-commander character. Having auto-resolve buffs is good. But not enough. Because, again, if my Tactics skill is high, then i must be a combat-lover person. Then, combats should get the buffs imo...

Something like;

P(erk) S(uggestion)-1: Instead of one, two tier upgrading chance for troops by %33

PS-2: When this perk choosen, your troops combat stats will recieve one tier above troops skill. (like t3 will get t4 skills, t5 will get t6, t6 will get t7-like skills)

PS-3: Ability to bringing supply vagons to combat. (Needs vagon models and ai refill usage programming, needs new order like same as "use this siege engine" order)

PS- Multiple: More formation usage buffs for troops. (Some cases in defending, some cases in attacking. This kind of perks exists in Tactics tree afaik. Getting more this kind of perks would be nice.)

Skill level will attirubute to troops stats. For every npc. Like if enemy npc's Tactics skill was high, his/her troops stats will be a little bit buffed. Same for us too.

Are these OP or reasonable ?

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of restricting game play formation behind tactics forcing me to always level it to access them on every characters.

I don't like the idea of restricting game play formation behind tactics forcing me to always level it to access them on every characters.
But it does make sense however. Who says every one of your characters should be a good tactician? Some leaders suck at commanding armies, others are legendary.

But it does make sense however. Who says every one of your characters should be a good tactician? Some leaders suck at commanding armies, others are legendary.

It's restricting me. (the player) Same thing as fighting looters. Normally, if you're not a combat character, you shouldn't capable to fight multiple looters by yourself. But you can, and you should, if the player uses his/her own intelligence and effort.

(Yep, i have an annoying habit. Sorry for the multiple after-editings.)

Last edited:
It's restricting me. (the player)
depends on what's restricted... i gave shield wall as an example, but as i said they could also add new orders.... those are optional to use, and you could win battles without them, but they would just make it a bit easier to organize troops fast.

depends on what's restricted... i gave shield wall as an example, but as i said they could also add new orders.... those are optional to use, and you could win battles without them, but they would just make it a bit easier to organize troops fast.

Yeah, I was (and am) more concerned with the shieldwall command because it isn't just a nice to have. That command is important enough certain party compositions cannot function without it. Locking it behind a perk or level in Tactics is effectively taxing every character I make by however much XP and FP/Att it takes.

One good thing the BL progression system did was get rid of dumbass tax skills like power draw, inventory management, prisoner management, etc. Adding a new one would be going backwards.

I 100% agree with you. Adding additional formations that are not normally in the game and locking them behind tactics is the perfect way to go about handling this perk tree. Of course we shouldn't lock the basic formation commands such as shield wall behind perks, but if we added new formations and movement options instead this would work so well. As you said, not everyone should be or is an amazing commander or tactician and just as you level up your athletics to move faster on foot, so too should you have to level up tactics skill to become a better tactician and you would unlock formations that aren't normally available. An example of additional unlockable formations could be: Testudo, Phalanx , Spear Wall , Zulu Horns, etc. Also as the player levels his/her tactics skill it could improve the capabilities of the Ai Sergeants that take command of the player army when the F6 key is pressed "Follow you Sergeants". As tactics level increases these Ai Sergeants would become better and better at controlling the units and using them strategically to crush the other Ai commander. This would also apply to the Ai Generals(Lords) that the player faces against in battle, a lord with a high tactics skill would have access to more and more sophisticated and organized troop movements to use against the player. (Surprisingly enough this is actually how the game works at the moment with regards to Ai Lords, although the list of available tactics is severely limited I believe there are only 9 tactical variants listed, one example being: "Archers on High ground" And typically only the highest level commanders really have access to most of these movements.) This system could be improved dramatically if more tactical variations on movements were added instead of just being limited to 9 generic movements that an Ai can use.

Reference:
1036-1589115186-282750980.jpeg

Last edited:
Because even if TW knew how to translate it into the game, they wouldn't care enough to do so.
They are already getting massive support for patch notes that change stat numbers on troops and fix rare bugs, why try harder?

Because even if TW knew how to translate it into the game, they wouldn't care enough to do so.
They are already getting massive support for patch notes that change stat numbers on troops and fix rare bugs, why try harder?

Sad, but true: the sycophants in this community (and in others as well, don't know why people defend big companies so much) are way too vocal and are basically the only ones heard by TW. This in turn, just make the devs think "Oh, we are doing really well, look at these guys defending us!" while ignoring the core problems.

Sad, but true: the sycophants in this community (and in others as well, don't know why people defend big companies so much) are way too vocal and are basically the only ones heard by TW. This in turn, just make the devs think "Oh, we are doing really well, look at these guys defending us!" while ignoring the core problems.

Cute, but I don't think they care too much about what people post on a forum. They probably assess their performance based on sales numbers and concurrent player counts.

Back
Top Bottom