Western European shields during the 12th century.

Users who are viewing this thread

Baron Conrad

Sergeant Knight
Which shields in native warband are best used for western european soldiers in the 12th century?

I assume the closest thing to what mounted knights would use is the vaegir tear drop shield, (Ideal for covering the whole side of the rider) is this best for poor foot soldiers too?

I wouldn't expect them to be using the heater or knightly heater shields as they are all reinforced heavily with metal.

Were round shields like the nords have used much at all by English, French or Germans?

It seems the vaegir one is the most reasonable.

That's kind of a question with many answers. It varies greatly depending on the region as well as the role of the soldier we are talking about. Structuring of a shield changes a lot depending on available wood and other materials. Other things to consider are what kind of soldier we are talking about. Obviously, the wealthy warrior can afford the more expensive shields, which is who I believe you are talking about. Knights  or other wealthy mounted troops would most certainly use smaller shapes as found on heater shields. This is because they need to be able to maneuver around the saddle without the shield restricting that movement. Infantry types would use the taller, more distinctive shields because they didn't typically run around all over the place, and protecting the entire body was of paramount importance due to the greater amount of vulnerability offered by their role.

If you're into shields, though, look into dark ages. Shield usage went down considerably after those times because bigger weapons needed to pierce armor were becoming more popular.

The teardrop-shaped kite shield was the height of shield-technology in Western Europe in the 1100s. Smaller, heater-like shields were used as well, but I can't recall any in Native that look right. Round shields would still be around, but not so much for professional warriors.

I am talking about shields for wealthy mounted troops and lowly foot soldiers.

Remember, I am talking about 12th century this isn't the time of plate armor. I thought mounted knights still commonly used the tall "norman" shields.

I also wonder what types of shields the poor infantry used or if they used them at all.

Baron Conrad said:
I am talking about shields for wealthy mounted troops and lowly foot soldiers.

Remember, I am talking about 12th century this isn't the time of plate armor. I thought mounted knights still commonly used the tall "norman" shields.

I also wonder what types of shields the poor infantry used or if they used them at all.
Well I was reading way to fast and I thought you meant the 1200's. Silly me. I'll adjust my answer accordingly-

Well one good example of armor and such used in Western Europe that I know of is the Bayeux Tapestry. The teardrop shaped shield can be seen used by mounted soldiers depicted in them. Here are some pictures
bayeux_tapestry_odo.png

imgres
As for the poor infantry, it varies greatly. Any professional soldier probably had at least some kind of shield, and they were probably more or less the same as the ones in the tapestry. However, the poorest of the poor soldiers, that is to say, the levy, would probably not have any sort of real weapon, let alone a shield.

Shields in the 12th century were undergoing the transformation from the Norman long shields (also known as kite shields or tear drop shields) towards the rather iconic heater shield (the ones always used for coats of arms).
Focusing upon north Western Europe (purely because its the area i know most about):
Round shields are quite rare though they occasionally seem to have been used by cavalry archers in images (possibly referencing Arabic fighters or turcopoles). These seem to predominantly have been gripped by a web or straps (based upon rivet patterns and a common lack of a boss).
Militias and common foot soldiers seem to have used traditional long shields. Images show them bossed (the round mettle bulb in the centre) and un-bossed. This may be decorative or could indicate that some where "boss gripped" (i.e. by a bar which sits up the back of the shield, leaving the knuckles of the gripping hand inside the domed boss, as per the well known, older, Anglo-Saxon and Scandinavian shields). In images these long shields are shown gripped at a variety of angles.
Knights, and possibly other professional soldiers, during the 12th century seem to commonly use “flat topped” kite shields. These are of the same proportion as a “kite shield” but rather than curving to a smooth semicircular top they have squared off corners.
Finally some images of particularly wealthy individuals show smaller versions of these flat top shields sometimes known as “transitional kite shields” or “transitional heaters”. This has sometimes been ascribed to artistic licence (it is easier to make a fight look dynamic without a load of massive awkwardly shaped boards waving about through the image and blocking the view of the fighters and the gore). Others argue that with the development of cap-a-pie maille (literally “head-to-toe”) and face plate helmets that these smaller shields display a confidence in the armour of the wealthy and a need for increased mobility/ visibility while wearing it. This argument can be further supported by the sudden reappearance/popularity of two handed weapons in the 13th century.

Note: Numerous other shields appear in images dated to this period, though it is very difficult to establish if the image is a flight or fancy of some outside influence. Some soldiers are depicted with oval shields and in one image to duellists fight with small curved section square shields. There are many excuses for such oddities but it must be understood that they may have been about.

Back
Top Bottom