TPW - Faction Preview: Carthage

Users who are viewing this thread

Lynores said:
Gallic Warrior unit added. Sword is just a greek one in the preview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZY2mRG5mzg

Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Romulus, there was an age undreamed of. And unto this, Lynores, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Hellas upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

Sahran said:
Track down Iyiort's Asian faces if you need them too. Course we don't for TPW.  :razz:

I already have. They'll be great for the Khergits.

And that Gallic Warrior is great, though there is a touch of fantasy about him. :grin:

SMST said:
Sahran said:
Track down Iyiort's Asian faces if you need them too. Course we don't for TPW.  :razz:

And that Gallic Warrior is great, though there is a touch of fantasy about him. :grin:

ehm, quite a heavy touch I'd say. I'm not sure what I expected though.

He means the lack of clothes and the moustache instead of a beard. This will be the only half naked unit though, others will have clothing and/or armor.

My bad.  :lol:

Sometimes my english gets in the way. I meant beard instead of a moustache. I see several beards on these guys in my references, which I've just acquired, so I cant really attest anything.

:lol: okay but anyway, Gauls, as the rest of the barbarian celts, got moustache& beard, both, well it´s logical to think that  there were men with only moustache, men with only beards and men with both... as greeks. ( except spartans, remember the beards and long hairs where an arcaic custom wich they saw the correct handsome stereotype)

Some of the references used for braids, torques, beards, etc. No fantasy there, unless sources are incorrect.

15784768.jpg

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Ancient-Celts/book/9623616236/

Merlkir said:
SMST said:
Sahran said:

ehm, quite a heavy touch I'd say. I'm not sure what I expected though.

Part of the 'problem' with the Celts is the almost exclusive depicting of them from the mid to late La Tene period (4th century to 1st). We associate mail armor and montefortino helmets with them, which can make their absence look odd. For comparison even though I know Hegemony is super accurate, I had to do a double take when I checked out their roman Triarii for how "Hellenistic" they looked.

To understand what went behind the concept for this celtic unit:
1) Torcs - self explanatory. Found amongst all range of European peoples from the Hallstatt Period (8th century BCE) at the earliest. Often remarked of being attributed to Celtic warriors

2) Arm rings - again. Common amongst 'barbarous peoples' and especially the Celts. There is a direct reference to them in a duel between Titus Manlius Torquatus and a celt in the mid 4th century. No reason to conclude they were a new found occurrence in the 4th century: http://books.google.com/books?id=YR684C0ryU8C&pg=PA174&lpg=PA174&dq=Naked,+except+for+his+shield,+two+swords,+his+torque,+and+arm+rings&source=bl&ots=RcxU-mjv-V&sig=hGQha_ebuNALPFkxIREhWrV6taI&hl=en&ei=HpsjTfScG8KB8ga7hqzgDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Naked%2C%20except%20for%20his%20shield%2C%20two%20swords%2C%20his%20torque%2C%20and%20arm%20rings&f=false

3) Braided hair - I didn't have any primary resource textual accounts, but like tenerife_boy & Lynores brought up with concept art, it's a frequent depiction. It's commented that (Celt?)Iberian warriors would often tie their hair up into braids, 'caps', or behind their head. It's not an unreasonable assumption that a long haired Celt could braid his hair.

4) Fighting half naked - well testified to the Celts. In fact, so is fighting fully naked. Commentary seems to suggest that it was a declining tradition as the 4th and 3rd century wore on, implying then that it was a stronger tradition in the early 4th and 5th and 6th centuries. There's again the comment of Titus Manlius Torquatus fighting an entirely naked Celt.

Body paint is the only risky feature, a fact usually attributed directly to the Briton Celts but which it sounds like had once been a tradition in earlier "Celtic" Europe. It's certainly clear that other European "Barbarians" used body paint.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Z814AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA8&dq=Gaul+tattoo&hl=en&ei=8J0jTe_SCcP98AazteiXDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Gaul%20tattoo&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=hdMRAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA63&dq=Gaul+tattoo&hl=en&ei=8J0jTe_SCcP98AazteiXDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CFYQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=Gaul%20tattoo&f=false (top paragraph on the right)

I realize that's not as authentic as a primary resource attribute, but I couldn't find the references people make to stone relics from Continental Celts showing leader implied to be tattooed.

When it comes to the armored Celts if we do depict them, the instinctive response may again be of fantasy. Since this period lacks the ubiquitous mail, the armor a noble celt would wear could range from:

A) Bronze Cuirass - a frequent depiction by secondary authors, based off the "Grenoble Cuirass" from France dated to the 6th-7th century BCE: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ac/Bronze_cuirass_2900g_Grenoble_end_of_7th_early_6th_century_BCE.jpg Is it accurate to have an armor 100-200 years old used? Debatable. However, our Thracians still use the Bell Cuirass which as I understand it is practically contemporary to the Grenoble Cuirass. Furthermore, it's more of an 'assocation than emulation' quality - without the invention of mail, with the use of a bronze cuirass a century prior, it's reasonable to conclude a Celtic noble might wear such an armor.

B) Disc Armor - I've seen it depicted by a secondary author once, never attributed to the Celts directly, but Iberians, Mediterraneans, Italics all used it.

C) "Soft Armor" - I've seen P-Italica depict a Gallic Mercenary of the mid 4th century in a linothorax, and Angus McBride in a "Late Halstatt/Early La Tene" series of Celts depicts what at first glance I seriously doubted. That is until I realized he was more than likely interpriting the Hallstatt Scabbard's depictions of armored riders: http://www.laits.utexas.edu/ironagecelts/hallstattsword.php

I believe it's a 5th century depiction (This site attributes the scene of the 3 infantrymen from it to the 5th century: http://www.universalartimages.com/images/427:cool:. What you see with the 4 riders are 4 different types of armor:
1) The first three seem to wear quilted armor, with A/C having box quilts with studded armor? And C wearing striped quilts. The last seems to wear alternating strips of soft armor and metal armor
2) The pteurge-looking features at the skirt area could support being a Linothorax, as could the sleeveless features.

So when you see depictions like these: http://j.imagehost.org/0528/GAULS_Soft_armor.jpg

Your response is going to be like mine was "What the hell is this?" However, compare some of them (The studded armor, not so much the broad battle belts) to the Hallstatt riders and you can realize where Angus Mcbride was coming from in his depictions. Are they accurate? Debatable. Are they authentic? -Yes-.

So bear this in mind when you see the Celts. I am personally inclined towards the bronze cuirass and/or a celtic "Soft armor" which might look a little like a linothroax but wouldn't be explicitly an linothorax, since I suppose I just doubt the Celts at this point would be wearing them wholesale like you see Persians of this period doing - they just haven't had the time to really interact and co-exist with the Greeks (Outside of the Po Valley next to the Etruscans) to adopt it.

Yes, I know all that. I just expected some nicely decorated leather armour, or a bronze cuirass.

(now I'm tempted to start a discussion about the "linothorax" and if it existed at all (which i don't believe it did), but that's not really important for PW. :wink:)

Merlkir said:
Yes, I know all that. I just expected some nicely decorated leather armour, or a bronze cuirass.

(now I'm tempted to start a discussion about the "linothorax" and if it existed at all (which i don't believe it did), but that's not really important for PW. :wink:)

Well that's good, actually.  :grin: We were worried about the planned interpretation of the Celts, which would have provided for leather armor/soft armor and bronze cuirass for the nobility. The depicted Gallic Warrior is just for the rank and file Gallic warrior. Do you have any suggestions for an interpretation of the Hallstatt Scabbard armor? You think it should be leather rather than linen? Would it have pteurges like they seem to have on the skirt?

I'm not an expert on the Hellas age myself, so I can't speak with any authority but I think I could agree with you on that. From a greater point of authority it sounded like more evidence stands for the tube and yoke being leather than linen - not to mention it makes more sense than linen. It's just assumed so much momentum that it's something really difficult to challenge. I just still use Linothroax as a term since it's easier to say than tube and yoke, and it's habitual - same flaw as folks saying chainmail, I spose.

Basically - yes.
I've spent some time in a RAT thread about the linothorax issue (it mostly goes in cycles), and it seems there really isn't any evidence for these armours to be linen at all. There is a fragment of something that could be armour, but not necessarily, but it's either much older, or much younger.
And the word itself is a construct, linen armour mentioned in writing is extremely rare and usually refers to quilted cuirasses of exotic nations.
The arguments for leather are much more convincing to me - mainly the possibility to tan it light/white and its availability, compared to expensive linen.

So, yes. I think the armour of greek-influenced celts would be leather of the tube and yoke style. (it seems quite clear to me from the various statues and other depictions)

I think we've posted links to some really nice reconstructions of such armour.

Really I don´t care about celts, who cares in a mod focused in Greeks! :razz:
Nah just joking, I can understand all what you said Sahran , well let´s see what happens when Lynores come and read what you posted :wink:

I´m only interested in Greeks, the rest are simply "barbarians".. :lol:

Merlkir said:
Basically - yes.
I've spent some time in a RAT thread about the linothorax issue (it mostly goes in cycles), and it seems there really isn't any evidence for these armours to be linen at all. There is a fragment of something that could be armour, but not necessarily, but it's either much older, or much younger.
And the word itself is a construct, linen armour mentioned in writing is extremely rare and usually refers to quilted cuirasses of exotic nations.
The arguments for leather are much more convincing to me - mainly the possibility to tan it light/white and its availability, compared to expensive linen.

So, yes. I think the armour of greek-influenced celts would be leather of the tube and yoke style. (it seems quite clear to me from the various statues and other depictions)

I think we've posted links to some really nice reconstructions of such armour.

Links of the Greek leather tube and yoke, or Celtic reconstructions of the tube and yoke they'd use? Afraid I'm not quite sure where the links are if you meant in this forum (Do know of the great Sardinian ones you provided)

Back
Top Bottom