(S) Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising mod (Old Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redleg

Sergeant Knight at Arms
Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising v 2.5 has been released!  I have re-vamped this post to show the main feature and credits for the original mod. 

This mod will work for Warband versions 1.172 down to 1.153.  NOTE: If you are having trouble playing this mod in Warband 1.172, try Warband 1.168.

The following are the main changes for version 2.5 of the mod.  The changelogs for previous are shown in spoilers below.

I.  Installation
Copy the Calradia 1050 A.D. Mercenary Uprising v2_5 folder into your Warband Modules folder.  This mod will work with Warband versions 1.153 and higher.  Please note that version 2.5 is not save-game compatible with any earlier versions.

Features and Credits for the mod are shown below, starting with the changelog for version 2.5.

II.  Changelog from Version 2.01 (with patches) to Version 2.5

A.  TROOP CHANGES

* Each faction (except the Khergiz) have two footman lines that diverge from the tier 3 footman.  One line is armed with regular one-handed spears while the other line is armed with a special two-handed pole-arm.  For example the Nord Skilled Spearman upgrades to Nord Veteran Spearman or Nord Veteran Halberdman.  The Nord Veteran Spearman upgrades to Nord Spear Leader and the Nord Veteran Halberdman upgrades to the Nord Halberd Leader.  (In the previous version 2.01, the two veterans upgraded into a single sergeant).

* Each faction (except the Khergiz) has a skirmisher line that can upgrade from the tier 2 infantry.  The skirmishers are designated as infantry rather than archers and I have added a script that forces them to be equipped with throwing weapons.  The advantage of this change is that the player's constable will always upgrade troops to archers if the player requests this.  Under the old system, the troops might upgrade as skirmishers or archers since both are ranged troops.

* Each faction has an elite troop at level 35.  The Swadian, Eastern, Sarranid, and Khergiz elite troops are mounted while the Vaegir, Nord, Rhodok, and Kelton elite troops are not.  Thus, the elite troops for the Swadian, Eastern, Sarranid, and Khergiz factions is part of the mounted professional upgrade path while the elite troops for the Vaegir, Nord, Rhodok, and Kelton factions is part of the infantry professional upgrade path.  Only the Nords and Custom Troops (hired from castle/town barracks) can upgrade to their Elite troops from both of their professional lines.  Only the kings' party templates include the elite troops, which is the same as in prior version.

Faction Troop Changes:
Swadians: 
* I have added a mounted commoner troop for the Swadians.  The Swadian Veteran Militia (level 20) upgrades to either a mounted sergeant or foot sergeant (level 25 common).
* Added a Senior Man-at-Arms (level 30) to the professionals line.

Vaegirs:
* Added a Druzhina infantry to the professional line (level 30).
* Added a Vaegir Druzhina Archer to the Vaegir professional line (level 30).

Eastern:
* Replaced the Guard with the Skutatos (Level 25).
* Added a Noble Guard to the professional line (Level 30).

Nords:
* Added a Mounted Raider to the Raider line (level 25 common).
* Added a Hirdmann to the Professional line (level 30 professional).
* Both the Hirdmann and Huscarl can upgrade to Nord Elite, the Nords are the only faction that has two different upgrades paths to elite.

Rhodoks:
* Added a new line to the Rhodok professionals, starting with Rhodok Comite (level 25), which upgrades to Rhodok Equite (level 30).  The Equite is mounted.

Sarranids: 
* Added the Sarrandid Ghulam to the professional unmounted line (Level 30).

Keltons:
* Added Kelton Dryhtmann (level 25) to the professional infantry line.  The Dryhtmann upgrades to either the Kelton Gesith or Kelton Mounted Gesith, both level 30.

Khergiz:
* The Khergiz Trained footman (level 15 common) upgrades to either the Khergiz Veteran Footman or the Khergize Veteran Skirmisher, both level 20.

New Commoner Troops (non-faction)
* I have added an archer option to the adventurer line of troops that starts with the "Farmer."  The Farmer now branches off to either Novice Adventurer or Warder Archer.  The warder archer is armed with longbow and axe.

* I have created two new higher tiers for Caravan Masters.  Caravan Master is level 10, Veteran Caravan Master is level 15, and Senior Caravan Master is level 20.

New Outlaws
* Coastal Pirates spawn in Kelton Lands and have lairs.
* Black Khergits spawn in Khergiz lands and have lairs.

New companion changes
* Added dialogs for the 4 new companions permits player to send them on missions.
* Each of the 4 added companions is equipped with armor and weapons from the faction they had served. 

Troop Attributes:  I modified the way attributes are assigned to troops:
Common troops (not including archers and skirmishers) have defined attributes of str_10 | agi_7 | int_8 | cha_8
Professional troops have defined attributes of str_12 | agi_8 | int_8 | cha_8. 
Elite troops have defined attributes of  str_14 | agi_8 | int_8 | cha_8

Troop pay changes
* The base troop pay was reduced to 76% of the original value.
* Un-mounted commoner troops are paid on this base scale.
* Un-mounted Professional troops are paid 50% more than the base.
* Un-mounted Mercenary troops are paid 50% more than the base.
* Mounted troops are paid 100% more than the base.  Given the reduction of the base, this is only slightly higher than in Native Warband.

Troop Face changes
* Discontinued use of Nemcheck's "improved ethnic faces" codes except for Sarranids.  All other faction troops use Native Warband codes.
* Use several male faces from Jedidiah Q's OSP.
* Changed most Eastern Province lords and Khergiz lords face codes to make them distinct from each other.
* Changed the names of all Eastern Province Lords to reflect a more Byzantine culture.

Troop Recruitment Changes
* Village Manor recruitment of Special Archers- Building a manor in village permits player to recruit normal village troops or better-trained and better-equipped archers/crossbowmen.
* Castle/Town Barracks recruitment of custom troops is unchanged from last version.

Troop Equipment Changes
* I have made numerous changes to the troop equipment, too many to list here.  I have tried to give each faction distinctive weapons and armor to differentiate them from other factions. 
* All commoner foot soldiers will spawn with spear and one-handed weapon. 
* I have made "light" versions of all the bows so that ranged troops having lower power draw can use their faction's bow.  The damage caused by light bows is also adjusted down.
* I have tried to limit the use of pure two-handed weapons for professional troops since a certain percentage of troops equipped with two-handed weapon will spawn without a shield.  Instead I have used the two-handed pole-arms such as the long axes and other similar weapons that I have added to the items.  Each faction has its own special types of two-handed polearm.  Some of the higher-tier mounted troops and lords will be found with regular two-handed weapons.
* I have added a large number of new arms, armors, and shields.  Many of the new armors and shields are of my own design using Native and/or OSP meshes.  I have also improved a number of my armor and weapon textures from the previous versions.
* I have taken certain armors and weapons that did not fit the time period out of the stores.  There are still a few anachronistic weapons but I leave it up to the player to either use or not use them.
* I have tried to standardize the weight, armor values, and prices of the heavy and elite armors.  These armors will be quite expensive to purchase.
* I have used Rongar's Item Factionizing tool to factionize the items in the stores.
* As of now, the total item count is 1800.

B.  SCRIPT CHANGES
* Added my own script to enable the hiring of special ranged troops in villages having a manor.
* Expanded the script for hiring Noble Equites to also include a chance at Adventurers, Warder Archers, and Fighter Women.  You must have an honor rating of 10 or higher to have these troops ask you for work.
* Added a modified version of Tocan's script to have liege give the player armor after becoming a vassal.
* Added a script to force skirmisher troops to have throwing weapons (since skirmishers are now classified as infantry rather than ranged).
* Changed scripts to give new outlaws lairs and starting quest.
* Added scripts for 21 new banners.
I am sure I am forgetting some other script changes....

C.  TOURNAMENT CHANGES
* Win amount is 500 denars.
* Equipment changes- lance replaced with blunt spear, two-handed sword replaced with practice mace, javelins removed.

D.  FREELANCER CHANGES
* Change from 14 days to 30 days to re-enter service of lord before being declared a deserter.  This is important change, especially when either the player or lord the player is serving gets imprisoned.
* After 30 days the player can request to be retrained as a Professional, allowing promotion to the highest tier.

E.  SCENE CHANGES
* I made a few improvements to the siege scene of Ashford.  The defenders should no longer get bottled up as they rush reinforcements to the breach.
* I added starting quest bandit lair scenes to the Kelton and Khergiz lands.

F.  NEW BANNERS
* I have added 21 new banners from the unused banner sheet.  The player can select these banners- they will be the last set of banners to choose from.

The new item OSPs added for ver. 2.5 include:
Raptor OSP- selected weapons.
Stepan Dinavoa OSP- armor.
Battle of Europe OSP- several armors.
Several armors and weapons from previously credited OSPs such as IgorBB OSP (May 2016) and others (see credits lists below).
If I have somehow omitted your own work from the list, I apologize for the oversight.  Please PM me here at Taleworlds Forum.  Redleg is my user name.

I have also taken Charan's Polished Skyboxes out of the mod.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download ver. 2.5 at ModDB  http://www.moddb.com/mods/redleg99/downloads/calradia-1050-ad-mercenary-uprising-ver-25

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising
Version: 2.5
Game version: Warband 1.172 (and down to 1.153)
Category: Compilation
Short Info: It is the year 1050 in Calradia.  The Calradian Empire has fallen and the new kingdoms are fighting to hold onto their lands.  Two new factions are gathering strength to add to the upheaval that already exists in Calradia.  Mod includes Diplomacy 4.2, PBOD .92, and Freelancer 1.51.
Mode: SP
Languages: EN

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following are the main features and credits for version 1.0 of the mod.  The changelogs for versions 1.1, 1.11, and 2.0 are shown in a spoilers near the bottom.

Main Gameplay Features
Diplomacy 4.2.  Credit: Waihti, hessuu, fisheye, rubik, jrider, Mjöllnir, Akmar Nibelung and zParsifal
Pre-Battle Orders and Deployment (PBOD).92 including Formations (with some code from PBOD .96 to fix an error).  Credit: Caba`Drin (PBOD) & motomataru (formations).
Freelancer 1.51 (with several fixes from Floris 2.55).  Credit: Taragoth.
Two additional factions: the Keltons and the Khergiz. 

Other Mini Mods and Codes
Tavern Animations and Sounds.  Credit: Daedalus / Slawomir of Aaarrghh (I included the tavern traveler modifications suggested by Stan233 in the Taleworlds Forum for the OSP Tavern)
Bridge Battles Kit.  Credit: Arch3r
Banking Kit (Landlords and Moneylenders). Credit: Duh.
Outposts Kit v0.8.  Credit: Lumos with help of cdvader, Caba`drin,    bobirov, Dawg of War, L00ter, and Nordous.
Permanent Camp v0.2 (OSP). Credit: Alex_NG
Dynamic Troop Tree Presentation. Credit: Dunde.
Perfect Troop Tree Presentation. Credit: Rubik.
Recruit troops from castles and towns.  Credit: Laszers. (I modified the scripts and created a simple trigger to replenish supply of available recruits every 30 days. The Player must have 200 renown and non-negative relations with faction to recruit young noble troops).
Auto-sort troops in castles.  Credit: Rubik.
Spear Two-Attack Direction animation and code.  Credit: Sahran.
Combat Animation Enhancement v5.0. Credit: Papa Lazarou
Salt Mines to have your prisoners earn you money each week.  Credit: Tocan (code from Tocan's Calradia).
Kill count showing enemies killed by player and by NPCs Credit: Taragoth (from Freelancer 1.50).
Script to guarantee all melee weapons (OSP). Credit: SonKidd, with mission templates modification suggested by Thorberg. I modified and used this script to force all pole-arm or two-handed wielding troops to also spawn with one-handed weapon in their inventory.
Script to disable the fight in alley at game start. Credit: Tocan (from Tocan's Calradia).  Your character will appear on the strategic map and you can decide where to go from there.  You can still do the merchant quest by approaching the merchant in the tavern of any of the starting cities and responding affirmatively to his first statement. 
Code that increases max party size for owning a fief, owning castles, being a marshal, or being king. Credit Caba 'drin. 
Script to buy rest time in taverns to increase party morale.  Credit: Tocan (modified from Tocan's Calradia).
Script that allows raids to be broken off by the player. Credit: Caba`Drin.

The mod adds the following Graphics and Sound mods:

Realistic Colors and Taller Grass v1.22 Credit: Lucke189
More Metal Sounds v2.2.  Credit: Checkmaty
Sounds from Tavern Animation Pack.  Credit: Daedalus / Slawomir of Aaarrghh
Female Faces v1.3 for WARBAND Credit:  Barf and Broken One
Expanded Horizons v1.1.  Credit: Openshaw
Polished Skyboxes.  Credit: Charan
Quapittiy's Banners OSP for 2 new banner sets.  Credit: Quapittiy

The mod adds the following Scenes:

Bridge Battle scenes. Credit: Archer
Native Warband Siege Scenes Pack.  Credit: Lord Samuel
Historic Castles Project - the British Isles v1.2. (3 used for Kelton castles).  Credit: Adorno
OSP 8 Castles by dxaero4 (4 used for Khergiz castles).  Credit: dxaero4
Town of Ashford exterior (for Keltons).  Credit: Lord Canute
Starfall Castle exterior (for Keltons).  Credit: Lord Canute
Outpost and Fort scenes for the Outpost Kit.  Credit: Nordous

I also added a number of OSP arms and armors.  Click the spoiler below to see them.

Alpha Delta's Ancient Warriors- selected armors
Bloc's Northerner Horses- 4 northerner horses
BrustwarzenLenny Nord Armors- selected armors
Brytenwalda Mod Team- selected armors and weapons
Crusader Way to Expiation (CWE) mod team- selected armors and shields
Dejawulf's Viking Packs- selected armors
Dia151 Arab Equipment OSP- selected armors
DRZ Armors- selected armors
Fred's Bunch of Armors- selected armors
Gothic Knight's Dark Ages OSP v 1.50- selected weapons
Gothic Knight's Spangenhelm model and textures- selected helms
IgorBB OSP- selected weapons
Kojjam's Viking Swords OSP- selected weapons
Kovas items BTWK- selected armor and shields
Lucas OSP Weapons packs I,II, and III- selected weapons
Mackie Weapons OSP- selected weapons
Narf's Rus Armour_Pack v1.3- selected armors
Njunja_eastern_1.5- selected armors
Llew's OSP Mount & Gladius- selected armors, weapons, shields
OSP XIII Century Eastern Europe, parts I and II- selected armors
Pino Armor Packs (Vol. 2 v1.4, v1.2, faction packs)- selected armors
Rathos 7-11 Century OSP (Saxon and Norman)- selected weapons and armor
Sonyer OSP- selected armor
TGAA Ancient Armory- selected armor
Talak Unique Armory- selected weapons
Waewulf's Light Armor Pack- selected armor
Wanderer's YesMoreHorses v 5.0- selected horses
WEe's Helmets OSP- selected helmets
Wei Xiadi Armour Project v1.1- selected armor
Yoman's Helmets OSP 1.2- selected helmets

The mod will include a document listing all these features and credits, including my own work, my design philosophy, more in-depth information about troops and the two new factions, and a backstory to set the stage for Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising! 

Download version 2.0 at ModDB.  Patch for version 2.01 is also available
http://www.moddb.com/mods/redleg99/downloads/calradia-1050-a-d-mercenary-uprising-v-20

Known Issues for Version 2.0
I have found that resetting the module during gameplay (only available in windowed mode with cheats on) will cause problems with food- both in terms of availability in stores and will take away the food bonuses.  I don't know if this is s problem coming from Native Warband, Diplomacy 4.2, or my own modifications to the code.  I have not made any changes to the food aspects of the game but a few players have complained about this occurring.

The Outpost Kit has a few bugs but none are game-breaking.  I have not had a chance to delve into the code so any fixes will need to be in later versions.  Scenes have not been created for all the first level outposts.  Refer to the Outposts Kit thread at the Taleworlds forum for more info.

You can still use TweakMB to tweak many of the values but some tweaks are not available since I made changes to the various module files. 

Due to the complex way family affilations and lord characteristics are handled in module_scripts.py and to my inability to completely understand the code, the ages of the lords and ladies of the two new factions might be strange.  For example, a father might be 35 years old and have a 25 year old son.  This is due to the fact that both of the new factions have fewer than 20 lords and 20 ladies.  I had to define ages and family relations in the scripts so that the new faction lords would not be related to lords from other faction.  For some reason, however, their assigned ages get overwritten during the compilation process.  The ages of the lords and ladies is really only a small annoyance but I did want to let you know so that you won't feel compelled to tell me about it.  I spent quite a bit of time working on this but gave up rather than stalling the mod.  I might return to it at a later time.

Changelog for Version 2.0
Bugfixes:
Replaced Aderkan town scene with new “Tulga” town scene by Ruthven.  This should fix all scene problems with Aderkan.

Major Changes:
The main changes for Version 2.0 have to do with recruitment and troops trees/troop equipment.

New Recruitment since V. 1.11:
1. Each faction now has separate common and professional troop lines.  The common troops are hired from villages and tier 3 common infantry troops are hired from towns and castles.  Common troops go to level 25 but do not upgrade into professional troops.
2. Professional troops are hired from towns and castles so long as the player has renown of at least 200 and is affiliated with the faction (either a lord or a mercenary working for the faction).
3. Each faction leader has Elite troops in his party template.  These faction elite troops are not available for hire, however, if the player builds a barracks in one of his/her towns or castles, the player will be able to hire custom troops that upgrade ultimately to the custom elite troop.
4. The player can build a barracks as a castle or town upgrade.  The barracks is fairly expensive and time consuming to build but does activate the recruitment of custom professional troops that permit you to customize their equipment.  Please note that these custom troops are not the default player kingdom troops.  Once you become king, you will be able to select your kingdom culture from among the 8 faction cultures and will still be able to recruit custom professionals from your barracks.
5. Once the player has a renown of at least 200 and honor of at least 10, from time to time special mounted “honor troops” will ask you to hire them. 
6. An additional new troop line starting from “farmer” is also available for hire.  These troops are called “adventurers” and they upgrade to level 25. They are paid the regular wage rather than the higher mercenary wage. Adventurer troops are all good at throwing weapons and are fairly well equipped.  They are certainly worth hiring if you get the chance to rescue some from outlaw bands.
7. The sword sister line has been re-modeled to make them into proficient crossbow fighters.

Changes to Faction Troops:
The changes to faction troops are too numerous to account for here so I will try to summarize the major changes.  Aside from the separate common and professional trees discussed above, faction troops have been equipped with some new armors and weapons, some of their proficiencies and skills have been altered for better balance and consistency among troops, and their skirmisher troops have been developed.  The Nords and Rhodoks no longer have any mounted troops as they did in previous versions of the mod.  The availability of Manhunter troops, mounted honor troops, and mounted mercenaries should make up for this lack.  Each faction infantry line (excepting the Khergiz) now has two level 20 infantry troops, each with specialized weapons.  Both of these troops upgrades into the militia sergeant troop.  As with prior versions, all infantry troops, excepting sergeants, have and use pole-arms in addition to a side-arm. I used a script that forces them to spawn with all their melee weapons.

All non-mounted skirmishers have been re-designated as infantry instead of archers.  The player has the option to rename them back to archers or even a new division if so desired.  I have incorporated a new script that forces all skimishers to spawn with throwing weapons even if they are not coded as archers in the module files.

Changes to Kelton lord faces:
Since Kelton lords were based on some of the Nord's lords code, I customized each of the Kelton lords faces to give them a more Anglo-Saxon look, including distinctive Anglo-Saxon warrior mustaches!

Changes to Mercenary Troops:
The main changes to mercenary troops was to enhance the crossbow and skirmisher lines by creating a new level of troop for each.  I have made some changes to the troop equipment for most mercenary troops.

Changes to Outlaw Troops:
I have made a few changes to outlaw troops, primarily in the equipment, but also lowered the proportion of outlaw leaders in the party templates so that outlaw troops would not be too overpowering but would still pose a greater challenge than in Native Warband.

There is a troop-tree viewer in-game to allow you to explore the faction, mercenary, outlaw, and other troops trees and equipment.  The only troops not shown in the troop trees are the faction elite troops.

Other Coding Changes added since V. 1.11 not discussed above:
I have modified Bismark's custom kingdom troop code from his Native Mod Compilation source to use for my custom troops.  My version fixes a couple of small glitches, and as discussed above, provides a limited version of custom troops that are hired in barracks owned by the player.

I have added the starting scene back into the game.  The player can now also start in any of the kingdoms, including the Kelton and Khergiz kingdoms.  Please note that for the Kelton and Khergiz bandit missions given by the merchant there are only generic scenes for the bandit lair. The generic scenes work fine.

I used Rongar's “Factionize Items” code to help limit faction-specific items to their faction towns.  This code worked fairly well, although there may be a few items that I forgot to designate to the faction that will show up in other shops.

I used Nemchek's “Improved Ethnic Faces” code to improve the faces of faction troops.  The most noticeable changes will be seen in the Sarranid troops.
I used one of Neil's blood tweaks to enhance the blood effects.

Source code changes to “animations.py” to enable a different two-direction spear attack than in previous versions.  The code and animations BRF comes from Hoboistice, who posted at the Taleworlds forum.

My own source code changes in the starting equipment and stats for the new character.  If you choose the Squire route, you will start with 3 tier 2 adventurer troops.
The barracks and recruitment from barracks features are my own code based on native code.

The honor troops recruitment event is my modification of code used for a similar event in the Brytenwalda mod.

My own source code tweaks to:
Give the player a prisoner management point at character creation.
Make the village watchtower more effective in that it now takes 2 times longer to loot the village with a watchtower.
Reduce the build times for all buildings by 50%.
Increase the number of mercenaries available in taverns to 5-9.
Increase mill prosperity in villages to from 5 to 10%
Double the gold gained after battle victory.

Changes to mission templates and scripts to force infantry troops having throwing weapons to spawn with throwing weapons in addition to their melee weapons.
My own changes to mission templates to allow troops and villages to use weapons other than wooden staffs in the “back alley revolt” scenario.  I expected that a tax revolt would involve armed commoners attacking armed troops.

III.  New armors, weapons, and horses added since V. 1.11:
I have added a large number of new items so that the total of items (including native items) is around 1589.  Some of these new items are from OSP packs while others are my own design.  In some cases I have modified textures from OSP packs.

All textures in the Redleg_armors_1, Redleg_armors_2, Redleg_armors_3, Redleg_boots, and Redleg_old_items BRF files are my own textures modified from Native textures.  You may use those textures in your own mod as long as you give me credit.  Some of the textures in the Redleg_and_various_shields BRF are my own textures modified from Native or from OSP textures. 

The new item OSPs added since V. 1.11 include:

1429 Edition mod team - bill weapon
Akosmo OSP pack - various weapons
Alpha Delta's Viking Pack - selected armors
Count of Westeros - armors
Gluck's maces pack – selected maces
BrustwarzenLenny Shields - selected shields
Dariel Indo-Person OSP II - several weapons and helmet
Dia151 - various lances
DNO Historical Wars mod team - various weapons and armor
Faradon Items – weapons and helmets
Frell's Kazakh Armor pack – selected armor
Gothic Knight's HalfCataphracts – selected horses
Hans Weapons Pack - mongol cap
IgorBB – more body armors, helmets, and weapons
Life Erikson - selected weapons and armor
Ohagi's Armor Pack OSP - some armors
Open Source Project Weapons – several weapons
Shik - various weapons
Sly's Armor Pack - helmet
Stephan Dianova- mail armor
Stonehead Saxon - weapon
Thicke OSP Item Variants - various armors
TLD mod team - various armors and weapons

Changelog for Version 1.11
Changelog from Version 1.1 to Version 1.11
Bugfixes:
Fixed terrain borders issue in module.ini.
Replaced Ashford town scenes with "Nibelheim" town scenes by Toffey.

Other Changes:
Minor changes to troop equipment.
Enabled "walk around" cheat in camp menu.

Changelog from Version 1.0 to Version 1.1

Bugfixes:
* Fixed bug where townspeople would spawn during bandit night attack in towns.
* Fixed Akkedan town scene.
* Fixed the Ashford town scene.
* Fixed spot on map near Spahtum Castle where troops might get stuck.
* Fixed skybox errors occuring when HDR not enabled (change to skyboxes.txt)
* Fixed some of the problematic dialogs with Barezan at the salt mine. It appears to work fine now.
* Fixed the faction relations report to correctly show the two new factions and also correctly name the Eastern Province.
* Sebival Noyan now has appropriate civilian clothing.

Other coding changes and improvements:
* I have added some code to allow player to change his/her banner in the camp menus. Credit: based on Caba'drin's instructions.
* I have also added code to allow the player to change party name once they reach 200 renown. Credit: Caba'drin's Custom Player Party Name OSP.
* Integrated newer version of Rubik's Perfect Troop Tree Presentation to also show the troops' equipment, skills, and proficiencies.
* Player can now start in the two new faction capitols (Ashford and Akkedan).  The starting scene that was removed for version 1.0 was put back in.  The town merchant quests will work for both towns. There is only a generic scene for the bandit hideout part of the quest, but it works fine. 
* Changed the banner selection presentation to give the player a choice of more of the added banners.
* Recruitment from castles and towns requires 200 renown (as in version 1.0) and now player must be member of faction that owns castle or town (can be a faction lord or a mercenary in the employment of the faction).
* Buying your troops a feast in taverns will improve morale and costs 5 denars per troop rather than a flat sum of 100 denars.

Troop and Item Changes:
* I have made numerous troop and items changes since version 1.0.  All the changes would make quite a long list so I will just list those changes that seem most significant.
* I have increased the pole-arm capabilities of all melee troops to enhance the effectiveness of pole-arms.  Spears are now even more viable for AI.
* Some of the factions' young nobles (Swadians and a few others) had 0 for athletics. I gave them 3 in athletics.
* I reduced the level, skills, and proficiencies of Masterless Men so they are less over-powered and don't have horses. They are still tough hombres that the new adventurer should avoid. This change also affects the combat capability of Edric Streona's party since he has a bunch of Masterless Men in the party. He will be a bit easier to beat but still tough with 150 good troops.
* Created new armors and added additional OSP resources to provide even more armors, helmets, and weapons to each of the factions.  The biggest changes were made to the Eastern Province, Khergiz, Swadians, and Rhodoks.  The Eastern Province is even more Byzantine in appearance (especially thanks to IgorBB's latest OSP armors) and much more distinct from the Khergiz.  The Khergiz have much of the flavor of the native Khergits.  The Rhodoks troops now have a more consistent look to them in terms of helmets, armor, and weapons.  The Swadians have more and better helmets and better armor (I gave them the most advanced armors of all factions to help balance them a bit better).  Minor changes were made to Nords, Keltons, Sarranid, and Vaegir equipment.

New Scenes:
* I replaced the Native Warband Siege Scenes Pack with Quasar's Siege Ladders pack v1.24.  Several players noted that some of the sieges did not work properly in version 1.0.  I have not compared all of the Quasar sieges to all of the Native Warband Siege Scenes Pack so I can't say which is better overall.  I have used both packs in various version of this mod and like them both.  The advantage of using Quasar's pack is that it doesn't require changes to the module_scenes.py or scenes.txt so that if any of the sieges don't work, they can be replaced by the Native scenes. In the Native Warband Siege Scenes Pack, several changes needed to be made to the scenes.txt, making swapping between the modded scenes and Native scenes more problematic.
* I replaced the scenes for 3 of the 4 Kelton castles with other castles from the Historic Castles Project v 1.2 and renamed those 3 castles. Clifford Castle was changed to Heardburgh Castle (using Classic Motte & Bailey 1), Pevensey Castle to Suthweard Castle (using Classic Motte & Bailey 2), and Llansteffan Castle to Tonbridge Castle (using Tonbridge Castle). The castles's villages were also renamed to reflect the new castle names.
* I replaced the Akkedan town scene with Ruthven's scene of Narra.

New OSP Resources (not listed in Version 1.0):
Al Manseur- selected helmets
Aquietfrog's lamellar texture
ARriad's Mace Pack
Brego's Avar Horse Helm from Imperium Graecorum mod
Dejawulf- selected helmets
Dia151 Mongol Armor Pack- Mongol armor.
IgorBB OSP (2015 update): selected armors and helmets
Rathos Helmets- selected helmets
Rathos Weapons Pack- selected weapons
Russia 13th Century: Way of the Warrior mod- selected armor and weapons.
Spak OSP Items- selected weapons.
Varangian Helmet from AD 1257 mod

My Design Philosophy for this Mod
My design philosophy was to create troops that are armed with the kinds of weapons and armor that you might find (have found?) in the 11th century.  You won't find plate armor in the game or even armored horses, even though some cultures did have them in the 11th century.  An astute observer will almost certainly notice a few anachronisms in the troops' equipment, but I have tried to keep those to a minimum while using the available OSP and Native resources.  For example, you may see a few Swadian upper tier troops having jupons or short surcoats over their mail.  While surcoats where probably not used extensively until the 12th century in Europe, I wanted to make the Swadians distinctive from the other factions.  The Swadians seem like the type of people who weren't happy just wearing a plain old hauberk or mail shirt.  Anyway, if you're bothered by the few anachronisms, you must remind yourself that this mod takes place in 11th century Calradia! 

I wanted to make the army composition a little less cavalry-centric while still making mounted troops important to the overall game.  I also wanted to increase the role of skirmishers and therefore created skirmisher lines for each of the factions, except the new Khergiz, who already have mounted archers.

Since cavalry is a bit less prominent in this mod, infantry plays a stronger role.  Each of the factions, excepting the new Khergiz, now have a tier 6 infantry, whereas in Native, only the Nords had tier 6.  I have also tried to keep each faction's strengths in place.  Swadia still has (arguably) the best cavalry, just less of it.  The Nords still have the best infantry in their Huscarl, and he is now at level 29 instead of 27.  The Vaegirs still have the best archers and also the best bows, the Rhodoks still have the best crossbowmen and the best crossbows.  I think each of the factions, while still excelling is some areas, are more balanced overall without being generic or too similar to the other factions.

For those of you who may be dismayed to hear that there are fewer horseman than in Native, you can still get your kicks by playing as a Khergiz lord.  You'll also find that the Nords, Rhodoks, Eastern Province, Keltons, and Sarranids now have a few mounted skirmishers riding about the battle fields.  The Nord and Rhodok experiments with horses apparently didn't work because 200 or so years later, they are all on foot!

Finally, with the two new factions, I tried to re-create my beloved Anglo-Saxon culture in the Keltons (a hat tip to the Brytenwalda team), albeit a slightly modernized Anglo-Saxon warrior culture with a touch of Welch longbowman added to the mix.  I also used a variety of scale armors for the higher-tier Keltons, not because the Anglo-Saxons used a lot of it, but because no other faction in the game uses much of it, with the exception of the Eastern Province, who use a more Byzantine style of scale and lamellar armor.  I wanted the Keltons to look different from the Nords, with whom they do share some similarities such as face codes, heavy use of axes and thrown weapons, and long-bows.  The Keltons are a fairly well-balanced troop with solid infantry, skirmishers, archers, and some horsemen.  The inclusion of more archers and horsemen indicates that they must have learned a lesson from their narrow defeat at the Battle of Hastings!  There's another anachronism for you.

With the new Khergiz faction, I wanted to introduce my take on the classic steppe warriors of Native Warband.  The new Khergiz was built on the Native Khergit troop tree, with the addition of an even higher-level top cavalryman and also a 4-tier infantry line.  They still have those darned mounted archers that I learned to hate in the original Warband and Mount & Blade.  My play-testing shows the Khergiz to be pretty formidable in battle.

Backstory and Info on the New Factions
It is the year 1050 in Calradia.  The Calradian Empire has just recently collapsed after years of battles with the invaders and bloody internal revolts.  The upstart kingdoms are fighting to hold onto their own lands and to take some of their neighbors' lands.  The Kindgom of Swadia occupies what was the western part of the old Empire while The Eastern Province occupies what was the Eastern part.  The Nords and the Vaegirs have secured their own lands and are threatening Swadia from the north and north-east.  The Rhodoks have split from the Swadians and have formed a republic to the south and are now butting up against the newcomer Sarranids, who are eager to expand their own kingdom into the lands north of the great desert.  The Swadians have just recently lost Kelredan Castle to the Nords and Rindyar Castle to the Eastern Province.  They are preparing to mount a counter-offensive to the north and east to regain their lands.

But there are other forces at work in Calradia.  Two mercenary peoples have grown in strength and are now threatening their neighbors in Calradia.  The Kelton Folcmaegen, many of whom fought ably as mercenaries for the Old Empire, retreated to the fertile lands south of Shariz along the coast when the Old Empire finally fell into ruin. They built three strong castles and prospered in the years since the fall of the Empire. Their troops are seasoned, well trained, and tough, having very good infantry, archers, and skirmishers. Their castles are well-manned and their leaders are eager to take war to their former enemies.  The Keltons have recently captured Starfall Castle from the Sarranids.

In the far eastern steppes, the Khergiz Tribe, long serving as auxillary troops to the eastern Calradian lords, and more recently to the Eastern Province, are gathering their numbers.  They are no longer content with serving others and have set their sight on taking new lands for themselves.  They have already occupied 4 strong border fortresses abandoned by the Old Empire, and are calculating which neighboring kingdom they should attack first.  Whatever they decide, the Khergiz will make their mark, because they are going introduce a new style of warfare to the other kingdoms.  While the other kingdoms of Calradia have only recently begun to develop their own cavalry arms, the Khergiz are masters of mounted combat and will field armies with numbers of mounted warriors never seen before in Calradia. The horde is restless and is galvanizing itself for war.

I should note that this is a single-player mod.  I have not done anything re:multi-player and don't know whether it will work with the changes I have made.

Nice, always wanted to see a mod like this. I have been doing something similar myself just for fun (I have no plans of releasing it), but I'm also nowhere near as far along as you are.

One OSP that might be useful is "You Shall Not Pass". Makes castles in the mountain passes of Calradia actually function as strategic choke-points on the campaign map, instead of armies being able to bypass them.

Here's a link to the thread: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,315422.msg7483400.html#msg7483400

Very nice idea, but rhodoks not having any cavalry at all and nords having cavalry at all is really not right in my own opinion.

Nonetheless very curious about it. :smile:

I think every faction should have at least one cavalry unit, though it is very expensive.  Khergits would have one or two lower tier cavalry units as well though.

ThegnAnsgar said:
Nice, always wanted to see a mod like this. I have been doing something similar myself just for fun (I have no plans of releasing it), but I'm also nowhere near as far along as you are.

One OSP that might be useful is "You Shall Not Pass". Makes castles in the mountain passes of Calradia actually function as strategic choke-points on the campaign map, instead of armies being able to bypass them.

That's cool.  I will check it out.

As I mentioned in my first post, I will likely be making some more changes to the troops trees.  Right now I am just trying to see what the changes to the troop trees and party templates have on game-play.  It's not always easy to see what the effects will be until you start a new game.

I may very well give the Rhodoks a cavalry troop and may also give a lower-tier cavalry to the other factions (except the Nords).  I have also considered expanding the skirmisher (throwing) troops because I like the effects they have in-game.  I will also be tweaking the party templates a bit to get just the right balance.

Thanks for the input. I am glad to see some interest in this mod. 
There are a few other things I am considering adding to the mod.  I am going to add a quest near the game start to allow the player to seek an ancestral sword.  I am also considering implementing the camp entrenchment kit and taking out the outposts kit since it seems kind of buggy.

The troop trees look interesting; I like the look of a lot of the armour, the inclusion of skirmishers for most factions and the lesser importance of cavalry (makes a nice change), though I think it would make historical sense and give variety if the Khergits had more lower level cavalry units. After all, they are a steppe tribe, cavalry is what they are all about. Of course the Khergits are settled in Calradia and may not be so horse dependent as in Native, but having just one cavalry unit seems a bit extreme for them.

DanAngleland said:
The troop trees look interesting; I like the look of a lot of the armour, the inclusion of skirmishers for most factions and the lesser importance of cavalry (makes a nice change), though I think it would make historical sense and give variety if the Khergits had more lower level cavalry units. After all, they are a steppe tribe, cavalry is what they are all about. Of course the Khergits are settled in Calradia and may not be so horse dependent as in Native, but having just one cavalry unit seems a bit extreme for them.

I have similar thoughts.  I might include a mounted skirmisher unit for the Khergits that will upgrade from the yet-to-be created skirmisher line.  I have been testing various troop trees and party templates over the last few months to see the effect on game play and balance.  I know that many folks would be disappointed to see the Khergits not have more horsemen.

I wanted to give a little update on progress.  I still intend to release my mod in early July.

1.  I have decided to upgrade from Diplomacy 4.2 to 4.3.  Yesterday I was able to successfully merge Diplomacy 4.3 with PBOD .92 and Freelancer 1.151. The mod seems to be working fine.

2.  Next I will need to re-merge the other mini-mods and scripts that I had listed at the top of this thread.  I will likely replace the Outposts kit with Camp Entrenchment kit.

3.  The Troop Trees are still a work in progress.  I have been tinkering with different trees and party templates to see the effect on game play.  The Khergits have become more of a Byzantine-like faction, although they still retain some Khergit elements, including some of the armors and weapons.  I still intend to expand the skirmisher line for each faction.  Overall, I am attempting to give each faction a distinctive look in terms of weapons and armor, while maintaining their overall strengths as in the original vanilla game.  For example, Swadians greatest strength will still be their cavalry, the Nords will still have the best infantry, Rhodoks and Vaegirs will still have the best crossbows and archers, etc.  The new Khergits will have solid infantry and cavalry and will have the best skirmishers.

4.  I will be adding a few scenes and at least one quest.

5.  I am going to add another faction that will occupy some already existing castles, towns, and villages.  If this works out, I will keep it in the mod.  I have also considered making the Black Khergits into a minor faction instead of just another outlaw band.

5.  Once all this is done, I will test to make sure it's as bug-free and stable as in my original mod before I release the mod.  I also need to get permissions for some of the elements I am using.  I will likely release my module source along with the game files.

Very interesting, I was working on a mod like this myself only a few months ago.  I went a little more in depth with the factions though, still looking forward to this either way.

Artyem said:
Very interesting, I was working on a mod like this myself only a few months ago.  I went a little more in depth with the factions though, still looking forward to this either way.

Are you planning to release your mod?  I would be interested in playing it.

I am still deciding whether to create additional faction(s).  I will probably try it out and see what happens when I test it.  My mod works very well as it is now so I am hesitant to add much more to it.  At the same time, I want it to be distinctive and not just a slightly re-worked mod.  I don't have coding skills that some of the more advanced mods have used but I have been able to implement some good things.

Redleg said:
Artyem said:

Are you planning to release your mod?  I would be interested in playing it.

I am still deciding whether to create additional faction(s).  I will probably try it out and see what happens when I test it.  My mod works very well as it is now so I am hesitant to add much more to it.  At the same time, I want it to be distinctive and not just a slightly re-worked mod.  I don't have coding skills that some of the more advanced mods have used but I have been able to implement some good things.

Unfortunately not, I deleted the module system files for it at some point and I don't think I have the time to do it all again.

I would definitely add some more diversity to the factions, and throw in the system that lets you recruit from towns and castles as well.  1257 AD had that, where you'd recruit cheap levy spearmen from villages, slightly better burgher infantry from towns and expensive cavalry units from castles.  Also, what BerserkerRezo suggests, split the larger factions into a few smaller factions. 

I already have recruit tier 5 from castle.  I may add it to towns as well.  Last time I did add it to towns it caused problems with the normal mercenary recruit system.

Progress update:
I am making good progress updating to Diplomacy 4.3 and adding the fixes to Freelancer 1.51 from Floris.  The Freelancer quests work better now, PBOD works, all the other features I added back in work (Tavern Enhancements, dynamic troop trees, bridge battles, salt mine prisoners, Bank of Calradia (landlords and moneylenders) and a few other scripts).  Everything works fine, although I haven't updated the troops and items yet.

I got ambitious and decided to add the nice KAOS Political kit v1.5 to the above and everything compiled without error.  I am having a few in-game problems such as missing messages (the messages in the bottom left side of the screen) and for some reason, duplicates of tavern minstrels in the same tavern.  Once I get this KAOS stuff sorted out, I will make the remaining changes to troops and items, add the camp entrenchment kit (which replaces the somewhat buggy outposts kit), and a few other small scripts like buying ale for your mates in the tavern, being able to stop raids, recruiting tier 5 troops from castles, and forcing troops to spawn with all their melee weapons).  After that I will test and then release as a stable mod compilation.  It will probably take a few more weeks but should still be able to release in July.

As I mentioned in the first post of the thread, this mod will be more infantry-centric than vanilla Warband and a lot of the other mods out there.  While cavalry will still exist, and will consist of good troops, it won't likely dominate the battlefield like it does in other mods.  The player will still be able to have as many cavalry troops as he/she can afford, so it won't hamper you in that aspect.  I am also building up the skirmisher line for each faction so that there will be more thrown projectiles and more nimble and less heavily armored skirmisher troops to put a hurt on you.  The troops trees won't be anything near as complex as Floris's or New Dawns, but they will have distinct lines for infantry, cavalry, archers/crossbows, and skirmishers.

I think you will appreciate the mods I use in this compilation and the changes I make to troops.  If you don't like the troops, you are certainly welcome to mod them in your own version- I will provide my module source to help you in that endeavor.  If anyone has any insight into the KAOS political kit issues I mentioned, please let me know, either by responding here or by p.m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom