The Taleworlds Travel Advisory

Users who are viewing this thread

Gasset said:
I intend to go to Prague this september. Can any Czech user tell me which are the key places to go, and also some alternative places usually out from the normal routes? Is it safe and clean? Is stuff expensive? I intend to take the cheapest flight and sleep in a hostel, all my money will go to cultural and gastronomical tourism (and some nightlife time  :grin:). How are Czech people towards tourists? I want to go alone and I wonder how will I be treated by the average citizen. And to know my expectations of making friends there. Thanks for the upcoming answers :smile:.
I am afraid that if you stay in the center, you will not meet any average Czech citizen.

It is safe and it is (reasonably) clean. Stuff is expensive as far as usual Czech prices are concerned. Stuff gets proportionately cheaper the further you are from the center.

Gasset said:
(and some nightlife time  :grin:)
*****, *****, cocaine, cocaine?

BenKenobi said:
It is safe and it is (reasonably) clean. Stuff is expensive as far as usual Czech prices are concerned. Stuff gets proportionately cheaper the further you are from the center.
His profile says he's from Barcelona so I'm sure even the most expensive of Czech prices will still be cheap  :razz:

I am from Barcelona ^^ I guess I'll have to change from euros to whichever currency they have. I have no idea how prices will change, I guess it'll be cheaper?

Dunno about these days, but in 2006 everyone was happy enough to take Euros. I'm reasonably sure we got scammed a few times that way, but in comparison to prices back home we still got out on top.

Danath said:
My parents went there just a month ago. You'll feel at home, Prague is another overpopulated giant theme park for tourists :razz:

04_10_15_paralel.jpg

A very typical Barcelona graffiti. There is a huge debate on mass alcohol-tourism and its effects on the locals...

It has reached the spotlight on international media, you can look it up

I freak out at certain times on the day when in the Metro not a single word of Catalan is being spoken... I feel like a stranger in my own homeland.

The main issue is the model of tourism the City of Barcelona has. Not tourism itself. We understand that Barcelona is one of the most famous, beautiful and popular cities of Europe. And one of the top tourist destinations, specially after the 1992 Olympic Games. Tourism is to be expected, and we thrive on it, earning money and creating employment. Problem is when limitless tourism is encouraged, tourism that is basically composed by a horde of drunkards from all around Europe and the rest of the World pissing all over the streets, disturbing the neighbours, having no respect whatsoever for the locals and their culture. Other problems include "tourist businesses" (such as pizzerias, ice-cream shops, currency exchange stores) taking over local businesses that have been there for generations, the touristic bus taking less time and having better conditions than the normal bus that drives around the city, and specially the vast range of illegal accommodation (apartments and flats without license, like the Airbnb ****s) that harms not just the people who rent it – depriving them of their right to complain about any incidents and denying them the supplementary services they are otherwise entitled to – but also the city itself, creating speculation and illicit economies and leaving nothing positive for local neighbours, instead causing nuisance and complaints.

As someone who lives in an upstart third world (alcohol-)tourist paradise, I have to agree with Gasset. Where tourism is the biggest (and only) industry, it is only good for politicians, criminals and for those who live off tips. The rest of us only get the pukestains and the ridiculous alcohol prices.

Gasset said:
I am from Barcelona ^^ I guess I'll have to change from euros to whichever currency they have. I have no idea how prices will change, I guess it'll be cheaper?

A lot of places accept Euros, but they will give you a terrible rate, so you will effectively pay more that way. So do get some Crowns, just make sure the exchange doesn't charge any fees and give you at least 25 Kc per Euro these days. It's been some time since I used exchanges, but I used to like this one this one

Back
Top Bottom