The Sturgians look ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread

SaxonDash

Recruit
I was so excited to play as a Nord or a Viking in this game, until I saw how ridiculous they look. In particular the pointy helmet with the ridiculous little red doilie on top is so absurd I just can't handle it. Their appearance is so silly, I actually switched factions over it. Someone please mod these terrible looking Vikings!

My bad, I should change my post to say "The Kievan Rus" look ridiculous in this game. This is just my opinion but it's those absurd pointy hats with the red nipples on top. Immersion breaking.

Last edited:
Sturgians are neither Nords nor Vikings. They're inspired by the Kievan Rus. Therefore, they don't have to look like Vikings at all.
Although this is true, I do agree that they look pretty terrible. They are easily the worst looking faction. I hate to speak without having all the facts on the table, but the Sturgians are clearly the faction that Taleworld either had the least amount of time put into it, or simply didn't know what to do with.
Sturgia needs more lamellar, more gilded helmets, more chain, in general more "eastern"-style equipment. And also more colours than just blue, which just invokes "Nord" too much, when they're indeed Kievan Rus inspired. Reds, browns and greens like the Sturgian riders in the concept art during loading screens would complement their colour scheme nicely.

Did the Kievan Rus wear ridiculous pointy hats with red doilies on top?
Yes, but that's besides the point you're making, which is that the helmet you're refering to looks bad, which I agree with.

I was so excited to play as a Nord or a Viking in this game, until I saw how ridiculous they look. In particular the pointy helmet with the ridiculous little red doilie on top is so absurd I just can't handle it. Their appearance is so silly, I actually switched factions over it. Someone please mod these terrible looking Vikings!
As everyone has already said they are inspired by the Kevan Rus but Taleworlds wanted to mix even more Nord elements into them, they even went to put the lore to justify it. What is came out to be was a hodgepodge mess. I believe that they will be getting a more Slavic look and many of us on the threads think that a DLC of the nords would be great as many of us just want some proper Vikings and other a great Slavic kingdom.

Although this is true, I do agree that they look pretty terrible. They are easily the worst looking faction. I hate to speak without having all the facts on the table, but the Sturgians are clearly the faction that Taleworld either had the least amount of time put into it, or simply didn't know what to do with.
Sturgia needs more lamellar, more gilded helmets, more chain, in general more "eastern"-style equipment. And also more colours than just blue, which just invokes "Nord" too much, when they're indeed Kievan Rus inspired. Reds, browns and greens like the Sturgian riders in the concept art during loading screens would complement their colour scheme nicely.

Yes, but that's besides the point you're making, which is that the helmet you're refering to looks bad, which I agree with.

Thank you. I love the game, but I do get the feeling that very little thought was put into this faction. I switched to Battania and I love the way they look and the feeling of lore that they have. Someone put some love into designing the Battanians, but whoever did the Sturgians really dropped the ball IMO.

The silly furs have got to go, I'll mod them out at some point.
The ones worn by the Druzhinnik? Yes they're easily the worst looking furs in the game, but all the other furs I think Taleworlds did a pretty good job with. And considering the geography and historical inspiration of Sturgia, they should be wearing alot of furs.

As everyone has already said they are inspired by the Kevan Rus but Taleworlds wanted to mix even more Nord elements into them, they even went to put the lore to justify it. What is came out to be was a hodgepodge mess
Yeah this is a big shame. I can understand certain connections to the Nords lorewise considering their historical inspiration, Raganvads background is done pretty well, but in general the faction just doesn't have a strong 'identity' to it, like the other factions do. I don't 'feel' the Kievan Rus inspiration for Sturgia at all.

The ones worn by the Druzhinnik? Yes they're easily the worst looking furs in the game, but all the other furs I think Taleworlds did a pretty good job with. And considering the geography and historical inspiration of Sturgia, they should be wearing alot of furs.

Yes those Druzhinnik furs. I am not really sure about furs as battle armor in general, wouldn't add much protection.

Yes those Druzhinnik furs. I am not really sure about furs as battle armor in general, wouldn't add much protection.
I don't think the intention is to add protection, but rather to either signify status and/or to protect against the cold. It would make sense for the Druzhinnik and other highest tier Sturgian units to wear some good looking furs, because they could probably afford it. While for lower level troops they would use something more practical/cheaper, like a scarf.

If there is a Shoulder-slot item in the game that looks like the one the Sturgian riders are wearing in the concept art during loading screens, then that would probably fit them much better.

I don't think Sturgia looks terrible, but they certainly don't look the best. I think the Empire, Khuzait, and Aserai have the best looks. Vlandia is OK, and Battania has some nice looking units but also some weak looking ones.

The Druhzniks have the same helmet many of the Vaegir Lords did in Warband. I don't really see what's wrong with that. I personally don't like the helmets myself, but they don't really bother me. Can easily equip a different helmet, and use different Cavalry. Since a Nordic inspired army wouldn't have many riders to begin with.

Also, Kievan Rus, are literally Russian Vikings. While the Norse, Danes went to England and France, the Swedes and Finnish went to Russia. Novgorad and Kiev are both Viking Settlements initially that Russia ended up taking over and integrating. So for them to have heavy Viking influence makes sense, whilst mixing it with more Slavic cultures as Russian culture took over.

I quite like how the sturgians look, they're more vaegir than nord. Agreed some things do need touching up and/or replacing but I'm content with having little scandinavian influence involved considering how much you see of it nowadays

The real question is how do you pronounce their name?

I hear a lot of people do it with a soft g, calling them sturgeons. Which makes me think they are a nation of fish.

Considering that literally every faction looks terrible in Bannerlord I hardly noticed.

So when are we going to get a real Mount&Blade sequal? I want some ****ing plat armor already. Maybe I'll keep my fingers crossed for 2030.

what i dont get (some ugly pelts aside) is some of the armor changes and equipment the units use in the troop tree for example Archers and berserkers throwing away their Chainmail or the Schock Troops carrying sword Shield and a 2 handed Spear while the entire line had 1 handed Spears and were usefull as Shieldwall and then you get shocks which cant do it, they also should exchange their names with the Veterans as they are no Schock Troops at all

Back
Top Bottom