[Suggestion] Tiered Troop Training

Users who are viewing this thread

iskar

Master Knight
Others have already noted that the absence of viable training for Troops beyond slowly autocalcing every looter party in Calradia is making the game tedious for the player and silly for the NPC lords that run around with mainly Tier 1 troops after some battles.

While I realise that the "train 150 Tier 1 troops to Knights in 5 game days while constantly on the move" from Warband is not that desireable to recreate, I do believe that SOME training facilities are needed to at least provide a reliable source of Tier 3 troops.

Hence I would suggest tiered training facilities:
Tier 1 - 3: This is the basic training for evey recruit up to a state where they can even hope to actually take part in a field battle. It can be considered that this stage of training is included in regular camp drills of the party and should therefore happen in-party and on the move. Maybe with a bonus while resting and reduced while marching. Each weapon skill should come with an automatic XP gain for troops of the same kind, a relatively low amount but stacking by companion and applied for each individual unit, not per stack. This would also encourage hiring Companions that cover a certain range of weaponry and skills beyond the obvious party skills like surgeon and scouting.

Tier 4 - 5: This advanced training should not be possible in simple camp drills but only in garrisons with dedicated training areas that come at a price and running cost. Hiring a trainer would allow you to level up troops in your garrison over time up to Tier 5, i.e upper professionals. Training underway would add cost per trained troop to your daily expenses.

Tier 6 - 7: These tiers should remain accessible only via battle experience and hence by no training in parties or garrisons. Making it impossible to pump out top tier armies like nothing and ensuring that the highest tier troops are indeed the rare elite and something to cherish if you obtain them.

Kind of a tangent, but this is not the first time I've seen someone refer to "Tier 7 troops". Is there such a thing? What am I missing?

As far as I've seen, the top noble troops (Batt Fian Champs, Vland Banner Knights, etc) are Tier 6. Are there some Tier 7 "super-troops" somewhere? I don't think so, but I've seen enough "Tier 7" mentions now that I'm starting to wonder....

I don`t like the idea of having Tier 1-3 done in party and Tier 4-5 in a garrison. It sounds micro intense.
The problem I currently see a player has very likely a solid party at some point with well trained troops and some capacity for recruits maybe 10%-20% of his max party size usally.
I see the players party becoming a shuttle-bus most of the time, it is already a pain to scrape recruits out of villages bolstering your garrisons. If you on top have to manage getting troops to their "training facilities" you are only running around managing troops at that point.

Although I have to say I would like to see the quality or tier of troops increase on average, for AI and my companions especially. Companion partys seem a bit weak currently, they are usally behind with their max party size compared to AI nobles and you barely ever can give them enough decent troops starting their party. They end up with 50% recruits and run into the first enemy noble with a slightly bigger party and lose.

I would prefer a system which could generate and train troops passively for garrisons and companions, without me carrying them around whatsoever.

It does amuse me intensely that i can go to a village and pick up an army of well meaning but completely ineffective psychopaths would will charge into arrow fire with nothing with a sword.

At the very least i think upgrading them to tier 2 should be really easy, and beyond that be more complicated.

Back
Top Bottom