Spears are too overpowered

Users who are viewing this thread

Amazing how there are still people asking for buffs to spears when they're still so strong just because they were "the best in history". Enjoy playing a game where only 1 weapon dominates and every fight is reduced to a mere thrust spam just because "muh realism".

I mean there is a new wave of keys. Can't believe you didn't expect that. You have seen that so many times now.

And to be honest, while I think that spears are too strong, you need some skill to use them in a 1 vs 1 scenario. And also there is a big difference in teamplay between TDM and Skirmish.

So while I do agree that spear are too strong most of the time, I get why new players think they are weak.

1.No comment
2.I don't think spears being easy to use is a problem, they're supossed to be a support weapon not something flashy that takes enormous ammounts of skill.
3.I agree on this. Altough the effect is present in all bl weapons it is most apparent in spears. You'll often see pepole in skirmish abusing this and landing "trickshots", sometimes even from point blank range where the weapon should glance instead.This makes the spear into a weapon that can both support in fights and 1v1/1v2 very effectively, which it shouldn't be imo.
4.I think instead of a damage buff making the angle at which the spears stop a charging horse wider is a better idea. Sometimes when you spear thrust a horse straight on it doesn't stop it. Im guessing the angle is 45/60 degrees at the moment, I think making it around 90 would be a good buff vs cav.

You, know there is truth to both sides.
In group fights it is easily the best support weapon.
On the other hand, spear might feel weak in duels. Especially to new players.But it also depends on the weapon and if the player has acces to a shield.
I still like to duel with the eastern throwing spear and a shield. But there are other spears where I don't like to do that. Most of them actually.

What I do think is that in every case spears are unreliable. You glance of quite easily, you only stagger the enemy if you hit the head or torso and sometimes the attackangle to rear horses is off.

Spears habe hardly weaker in the last months but they have also became unreliable.
I can agree to both sides of the spear debate.
Spears are still superior in 1h duels, at least for me just cus they have the best range and are the easiest. If to choose between 2h weapons - falx and a vlandian knight cav sword I personally like the most.

are you posting this after watching a video from version b0.5.2 and still thinks its the same? Because thats what you ranted about for an entire match.

Spears were OP in reality they should be strong
I played them today and yesterday and even after the recent changes i consider them to be insanely good .

I mean there is a new wave of keys. Can't believe you didn't expect that. You have seen that so many times now.

And to be honest, while I think that spears are too strong, you need some skill to use them in a 1 vs 1 scenario. And also there is a big difference in teamplay between TDM and Skirmish.

So while I do agree that spear are too strong most of the time, I get why new players think they are weak.

I saw that coming, just baffles me every time I see this argument used. There's virtually no teamplay in TDM yeah, nothing combat related should be balanced around that chaotic moshpit. Of course it takes a degree of skill, as any weapon that makes use of directional attacks and blocks, but not even closely as much as the weapons that would be overshadowed by it, especially so in a groupfight where you don't have time or space to spin around feinting and it becomes nothing more than a tedious thrusting while stepping back and forth. But that's cool because it's realistic.

Guys, my point is that they need a rework, not a nerf or buff. We just have to find the best possible way to change them so that they will be neither broken, op nor useless

I don't want to relive the spear spam in skirmish please don't make anyone have to live through that.
Spear spam in skirmish was torture. Thing is there were pepole back then that thought spears were """balanced""" . Those might be the pepole unironically calling for a buff now.

Last edited:
Amazing how there are still people asking for buffs to spears when they're still so strong just because they were "the best in history". Enjoy playing a game where only 1 weapon dominates and every fight is reduced to a mere thrust spam just because "muh realism".
Are you drunk or something? Spear is literally useless in a duel and you ACTUALLY cannot say otherwise?? Imagine going into a duel with a spear even bots would think better.

I honestly cannot understand how a lot of people think the spear needs a nerf, it needs a buff if anything.

I win every duel when someone uses a spear, as a matter of fact I dominate anyone using a spear hence why I don't ever try it myself because it seems ****e, but maybe if I tried it I would realise how "overpowered" it is?

I don't know about buffs/nerfs, but I would appreciate some consistency. I never know if my stab is going to do 5 damage or 50, there might be some pattern to learn but that pattern isnt intuitive or based in logic.

The ignorance in this thread is downright disturbing.
Have any of the people in this thread calling for buffs to spears played the game for more than 20 hours? Because in the other thread, the guy that claimed spears were too weak, had 14 hours ingame at that point. You don't get to claim you know more about balance than people that played since alpha when your hours are barely double digits. It really doesn't work that way.

I've shown the other guy how spears are still OP, even in 1v1s. I'll show every single one of you if I have to. Claiming spears need a buff or can stay like they are right now is wrong, and anyone with a bit of playtime on skirmish knows so. Here, add me on Steam, I'll show you.

Spears need a rework. Their capability in melee needs to be nerfed, preferably by adding stuns to the user like warband did. That said, they should probably also be slightly more effective against cavalry - you don't do that by increasing their speed or damage though, because that will **** over melee even more.

Are you drunk or something? Spear is literally useless in a duel and you ACTUALLY cannot say otherwise?? Imagine going into a duel with a spear even bots would think better.

I honestly cannot understand how a lot of people think the spear needs a nerf, it needs a buff if anything.

I win every duel when someone uses a spear, as a matter of fact I dominate anyone using a spear hence why I don't ever try it myself because it seems ****e, but maybe if I tried it I would realise how "overpowered" it is?

I'm not drunk, you're just bad.

Inappropriate language

We need a buff.
Guys, my point is that they need a rework, not a nerf or buff. We just have to find the best possible way to change them so that they will be neither broken, op nor useless

I don't see how anyone could think that this is okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
in my opinion they are fine as they are right now

I'll add my video to that as well, it's from a few versions ago but pretty much still the same:

The sheer ignorance from people demanding this or that and engaging in debates while having close to no experience is always amusing. Spears can definitely be used well in duels, and I'm also not sure why spears should be great in every single situation, be it groupfights, duels or countering cav.

That said, they should probably also be slightly more effective against cavalry - you don't do that by increasing their speed or damage though, because that will **** over melee even more.

Agreed, but that goes for most weapons which turn to be largely useless when a horse is in your face. You could deal 15-20 dmg hits with a sword and it would be nothing compared to the horse's health pool. I think the way to balance them would be to reduce overall horses' hp, but also to reduce the speed bonus added to damage when attacking them at high speed. This way they won't become paper thin after their hp is lowered, while at the same time making it possible to actually deal damage when they're close to you and moving at low speed (or not moving at all).

Back
Top Bottom