Spears are too overpowered

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't know what kind of weapon TW thinks spears are. In reality, spears are not specifically used to stop horses and teams fighting. Spear is a medium range weapon, It should be a weapon between bow and 1H. The safety range provided by length makes spear an excellent 1v1 and team combat weapon. However, spear is not feasible in close combat and can not completely avoid close combat by using shield.
Length provides a safe range is the main feature of the spear (Similar to bow, it will not be counterattacked by close combat weapon when it is in advantage range. that's why people choose spears to guard and hunt).
If 1H can immediately counterattack in the Spear's advantage range, I hope I can use 1H to immediately counterattack the archer, for example, after successfully blocking the archer's attack, immediately move me to the front of the archer to counterattack him.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is a common theme or if this thread is specifically for 1h version of the spear, but I'm guessing in this whole thread some people are talking about 2h spear and most are talking about 1h spear. I have made the mistake of thinking spears in general are bad (all are against cav think we can agree on that much) but the one handed spears inc. javs, throwing spears etc are very good in melee and I think they are in an okay spot maybe some animation reworks but apart from that, damage is fine (avg being 30 per hit). However if you actually try the two handed spear variation im pretty sure its useless and there is something with the combat system involving handaling and balancing of the weapon, and I mean like centre of gravity balance type stuff. I shall link a video from zerkovich on how combat works in terms of the balacning system and which the details of the system is given to him by the Devs themselves. But just wanted to see if some people are talking about 2h vs 1h spears because I too have made that mistake and the 1h version is a lot more relaible and I mean A LOT, from personal experience that is. You definetely get a lot less 3 2 3 damage stats with the 1 handed version for sure. From what it seems though is that the 1h spear tends not to have the green/sweets spot penalties that the 2h variations has, which if you play around with it, you still do damage but only at certain distances and proper ranges rather than in full on face to face melee.

P.S. Just had a wild thought that maybe you could see the 2h version as a double edged sword at max range maybe does more damage (think I have noticed this) than the 1h version and at shorter ranges pokes 9/10 times and with the 1h version it seems to do a consistent 30 damage on most attacks. But if that is the case then 1h should always be the choice rather than 2h and if you don't have a shield then don't pick up the spear.

Anyway, here is the video. I have also started it from the part with the explanation of weapon balancing and green/sweet spots.

Back
Top Bottom