Shall we talk about the paper armors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cavalry was not always stronger than infantry. In game it is and that is stupid especially because it is because of wrong reasons.

It was quite common for knights to fight on foot. That's because massed archers. While knights had very good armors that made them practically immune to archers their horses didn't. Good plate horse armors that made horses too practically immune to arrows came about same time than early cannons.

So realistically longbows versus knights on 14th century, longbows would easily be able to kill knight's practically unarmored horse, but it would take lucky shot to kill knight. In game it takes just 2 arrows to kill that knight and many more to kill that horse. In game it would be extremely stupid for knight to dismount because of archers, while in history they did just that.

Armors should be more effective. Horses should have less hitpoints and dying horse should be very dangerous for rider.
I think 14th-century is Warband's period, and from my understanding Bannerlord is set in the 10th-11th centuries. The plate armour you're talking about didn't exist for knights yet, either. In history there are many instances of mounted combat, and it has been particularly advantageous for many cultures, so without some evidence I'm not sure this can be reasonably disputed. Notably, some of these cultures are represented in the game even, so I don't think we can negate the obvious advantages of mounts in combat.

I agree there should be some potential for injury for the rider when a mount goes down, perhaps mitigated by a Control and Vigor check, but we should also keep in mind that there is already some danger present in the game. I'd say most times when my mount is taken down, I go tumbling stunned into enemy troops who are already swinging, and I am still too stunned to even raise a shield. So some damage would be great, but we should be careful about over-punishing this because it already often spells the rider's doom. Hell, it's why I often target and take down mounts ignoring their riders.

Sorry about the heated response then, totally my bad and i don't want any hard feelings with a fellow internet stranger :smile:

Let's just agree to disagree on this matter then, to each his own and all that, i'm just trying to improve the game in an area that in my view is severely lacking thus affecting the fun i have with the game (armor feeling like wet paper to me) but not everyone wants the same thing of course, cheers mate and good gamming!
No hard feelings. I do admit I previously felt much the same, but there are a lot of new armours brought in and due to changes in the shop code there are more high-tier armours available in the world. I think we're both coming from a place of wanting the game improved, and probably even just not seeing the same picture on the issue maybe even for different playstyles. Either way, no hard feelings and good gaming.

I think 14th-century is Warband's period, and from my understanding Bannerlord is set in the 10th-11th centuries. The plate armour you're talking about didn't exist for knights yet, either. In history there are many instances of mounted combat, and it has been particularly advantageous for many cultures, so without some evidence I'm not sure this can be reasonably disputed. Notably, some of these cultures are represented in the game even, so I don't think we can negate the obvious advantages of mounts in combat.

I agree there should be some potential for injury for the rider when a mount goes down, perhaps mitigated by a Control and Vigor check, but we should also keep in mind that there is already some danger present in the game. I'd say most times when my mount is taken down, I go tumbling stunned into enemy troops who are already swinging, and I am still too stunned to even raise a shield. So some damage would be great, but we should be careful about over-punishing this because it already often spells the rider's doom. Hell, it's why I often target and take down mounts ignoring their riders.
10th-11th century would mean even less horse armors. Less archers too so less need for those armors, at least in West.

And of course 10th-11th century they didn't use pikes or glaives etc. Lances wouldn't be couched lances of later time. Instead they would be held with a one-handed over-the-head grip. Longbow as weapon of war was late 12th century thing too.

So if Bannerlord is about 10th-11th century, there is lot of things that go wrong. So based on that I would think that it is about later times. Man from 13th century could use arms and armors from 11th century, but for a man from 11th century it would be lot harder to find equipment from 13th century.

In this game horses are tanks. They are WAY harder to kill than they would be realistically. Horses can't take 2 handed axe hits to heads any more than humans and it wouldn't take many longbow arrows to kill a horse. People hunt elks today with bows and they don't do it by shooting it with dozen arrows.

And yeah losing horse in wrong spot can be dangerous. But realistically it would be way more dangerous. Every year ~100 people die in riding accidents and even if you wouldn't die it would be easy to have leg pinned under that horse when it falls. Would be certain death if it would happen in middle of a battle. And of course horses are not machines and doesn't like to get wounded. Most likely horse will do something when it is wounded so I think that that riding/vigor/control check should be needed every time horse is wounded.

It is balance problem if cavalry have all advantages horse can give but no weaknesses. Some knight fought on foot and they had good reason for that. Horses are not tanks and it was very dangerous for knight when his horse was wounded and of course it is not easy to control horse when your both hands are occupied with weapons. Controlling a horse with a glaive, for example, is far too easy.

I just want to chime in and say that installing the "Realistic Battle Mod" resulted in the biggest improvement to my gameplay experience in this game so far - almost exclusively just because it fixes this issue with paper armor.

So I'm on board with increasing armor values across the board.

10th-11th century would mean even less horse armors. Less archers too so less need for those armors, at least in West.

And of course 10th-11th century they didn't use pikes or glaives etc. Lances wouldn't be couched lances of later time. Instead they would be held with a one-handed over-the-head grip. Longbow as weapon of war was late 12th century thing too.

So if Bannerlord is about 10th-11th century, there is lot of things that go wrong. So based on that I would think that it is about later times. Man from 13th century could use arms and armors from 11th century, but for a man from 11th century it would be lot harder to find equipment from 13th century.

In this game horses are tanks. They are WAY harder to kill than they would be realistically. Horses can't take 2 handed axe hits to heads any more than humans and it wouldn't take many longbow arrows to kill a horse. People hunt elks today with bows and they don't do it by shooting it with dozen arrows.

And yeah losing horse in wrong spot can be dangerous. But realistically it would be way more dangerous. Every year ~100 people die in riding accidents and even if you wouldn't die it would be easy to have leg pinned under that horse when it falls. Would be certain death if it would happen in middle of a battle. And of course horses are not machines and doesn't like to get wounded. Most likely horse will do something when it is wounded so I think that that riding/vigor/control check should be needed every time horse is wounded.

It is balance problem if cavalry have all advantages horse can give but no weaknesses. Some knight fought on foot and they had good reason for that. Horses are not tanks and it was very dangerous for knight when his horse was wounded and of course it is not easy to control horse when your both hands are occupied with weapons. Controlling a horse with a glaive, for example, is far too easy.
Uh...I hate to say it but I think you're perhaps suffering from excluding everywhere else but Britain, maybe? Longbows have been around well before the medieval period. Earliest instance I know goes back several thousand years prior to that, in fact. The famous ice-borne mummy, The Ice Man or "Otzi," was found with his yew longbow. It was six feet long. Further there's evidence in Scandinavia of longbows being used basically for the entire historic record we have for those cultures.

As to horse armours, I don't think we have anything too out of the ordinary here. Notably the Byzantines the Imperials are partly patterned after outfitted their Cataphracts the game's Cataphracts are definitely patterned after with armour. I admit I'm dubious of a couple pieces in the game, but all in all it's not too egregious. I'm thinking especially of the Mail and Plate barding, I think it's called.

Couched lances were an initial controversy in this game for the lack. I have to admit, I find the introduction of couching somewhat questionable, but then it comes down to whether the advanced equipment later knights had to aid in this was actually necessary, or whether some rudimentary form of couching might have existed without it -- really, it's a simple technique where you brace the polearm to the horse in much the way one would to the ground, so it's plausible even if in my opinion unlikely. For my part, I find this tolerable because couched lances are much harder to hit with in Bannerlord than in Warband.

Finally, as to the ability for horses to tank. They are quite a bit tougher than humans, trust me. That said you are right about the arrows they can take as well as two-handed weapons. Both need to hit properly, though. Arrows in the right place will take down a horse, but I think most bow-hunters will attest to how difficult it is to take an animal down by arrow, and how much placement matters. To the two-handed weapon in the head, that's an act of timing and precision when targeting an animal that is moving its head while propelling its body at high speed past you -- not impossible, but also quite the hit to rally off while you're standing basically in the path of this charging animal -- but I digress. With perks, you absolutely can one-hit a horse with two-handed weapons, two hits at most. There are perks to quite dramatically increase the damage done to mounts with two-handed weapons, so this reflects the level of skill to take down a massive animal so quickly. I think I'm okay with that, though I'd be interested in what balanced solutions that take those perks into account there might be.

Cavalry does not have all the advantages. I don't honestly know how that can be argued unless other playthroughs haven't been attempted. I actually find far more advantage with an all-archer party. That's my current playthrough, and me and my Fians are absolutely brutal. I have never ended battles as fast with cavalry. Another playthrough I have that absolutely leaves my cavalry playthroughs in the dust is a character whose party is primarily made up of Battanian Skirmishers. They take longer to get across the field, but this swarm decimates that field. The biggest disadvantage I see in cavalry is their post-charge run out, as well as when they get stopped -- they have no support when this happens, and simply get swarmed and taken out. Cavalry takes a lot longer once the fighting starts to end that fight. My archers end it before the opponent can even reach them to do damage usually, and my skirmishers are too good at supporting one another in battle for the enemy to get the upper-hand, and their javelins mean they're able to engage constantly, as long as I don't let them fire them all off in the opening. I really don't think it's as poorly balanced as some are saying, or else my cavalry games should be the ones dominating. Even when I've played horse-archers, they're so painfully slow at taking out the enemy. That's a big disadvantage when taking out the enemy is the objective.

Cavalry was not always stronger than infantry. In game it is and that is stupid especially because it is because of wrong reasons.

It was quite common for knights to fight on foot. That's because massed archers. While knights had very good armors that made them practically immune to archers their horses didn't. Good plate horse armors that made horses too practically immune to arrows came about same time than early cannons.

So realistically longbows versus knights on 14th century, longbows would easily be able to kill knight's practically unarmored horse, but it would take lucky shot to kill knight. In game it takes just 2 arrows to kill that knight and many more to kill that horse. In game it would be extremely stupid for knight to dismount because of archers, while in history they did just that.

Armors should be more effective. Horses should have less hitpoints and dying horse should be very dangerous for rider.

Yep - in this time period.

Now to be fair, later knights did have armored horses.

6dzo7catbnp41.jpg

But that was later in the Medieval era. Granted there are some aspects of this game that are not strictly 11th century.

I think a case could be made for moderately more hp than humans, but not as much as in game, unless the horse has top end barding.

There is one other consideration - cavalry if you think about it should cost more to maintain - the horse needs to be fed, at least outside of the steppe where horses could feed on wild plants.

There is one other consideration - cavalry if you think about it should cost more to maintain - the horse needs to be fed, at least outside of the steppe where horses could feed on wild plants.
This much should definitely be implemented, if possible. I'd love to see terrain-based food-requirements for mounts -- plains and forests providing enough to graze on, but snow-covered and desert terrain providing nothing, maybe steppes being somewhere in between. I'm not sure how difficult it would be, but I would love to see grain be the exclusive food item for mounts. And then, the tyrant in me would really like to see mounts die off when food is scarce, with small amounts of feed being prioritized for higher value mounts, but otherwise having this be randomly selected.

It would definitely make the southern horse trade-route more interesting. Currently I pretty well travel north at a speed of about 1.0 because my herd's so large -- now if I had to carry enough grain to feed them all while we traverse the desert...well, it's possible I could lose my investment.

dowgs ure discussin realism, history, knights and all that stuff but what we rly need is working armor gad demmat!

The armour works, dowg. :razz:

Stack a Highland Warlord Pauldrons shoulder-piece on top of some the higher-tier Battanian armours, for one example, and you have armour that absorbs more than 60 points of damage, and potentially well beyond that. A weapon that does a devastating level of damage, or one swung from a charging horse, will trash even plate armour from centuries later.

You lot are going to ruin this game for the rest of us. lol

This much should definitely be implemented, if possible. I'd love to see terrain-based food-requirements for mounts -- plains and forests providing enough to graze on, but snow-covered and desert terrain providing nothing, maybe steppes being somewhere in between. I'm not sure how difficult it would be, but I would love to see grain be the exclusive food item for mounts. And then, the tyrant in me would really like to see mounts die off when food is scarce, with small amounts of feed being prioritized for higher value mounts, but otherwise having this be randomly selected.

It would definitely make the southern horse trade-route more interesting. Currently I pretty well travel north at a speed of about 1.0 because my herd's so large -- now if I had to carry enough grain to feed them all while we traverse the desert...well, it's possible I could lose my investment.
Now we are talking the same language :fruity:

At the very minimum they should make warhorses need grain to survive, those were like the professional athletes of the horsey world and needed to be treated very well to keep top combat performance.

Although i would like all animals to need feed to survive maybe with warhorses needing 1.5x the amount normal horses need? they could also forage based on terrain like you said, would be pretty cool.

Now we are talking the same language :fruity:

At the very minimum they should make warhorses need grain to survive, those were like the professional athletes of the horsey world and needed to be treated very well to keep top combat performance.

Although i would like all animals to need feed to survive maybe with warhorses needing 1.5x the amount normal horses need? they could also forage based on terrain like you said, would be pretty cool.
I totally agree with that -- warhorses were drastically larger and the feed to prevent atrophy alone, let alone to keep them in top fighting shape, was absolutely higher than normal horses. I could actually see this potentially being best to be a breed-specific modifier, to allow larger horses to have their advantages offset by even greater food requirements, maybe up to 2x.

Definitely, this should apply to other animals as well. I wasn't really thinking about the livestock, but they would be affected the same in the desert.

Perhaps here's where camels may be given an advantage, needing no additional feed?

Uh...I hate to say it but I think you're perhaps suffering from excluding everywhere else but Britain, maybe? Longbows have been around well before the medieval period. Earliest instance I know goes back several thousand years prior to that, in fact. The famous ice-borne mummy, The Ice Man or "Otzi," was found with his yew longbow. It was six feet long. Further there's evidence in Scandinavia of longbows being used basically for the entire historic record we have for those cultures.
Yes there were longbows, but as I said "Longbow as weapon of war was late 12th century thing" Some hunter may have had longbow, but armies didn't use them. English didn't have them and even Welsh didn't use longbow but different kind of bow. Vikings had longbows so Normans had to know them too but still in the Battle of Hasting they used different kind of bows.

And horse armors were not used in West, because they were not needed. Many armies didn't have archers at all and when there were archers they were peasant class archers. Nothing like professional archers/crossbowmen of later times. Cataphrach of course had horse armor earlier times, but 10th-11th centuries Byzantine cataphrach didn't use as much horse armors as cataphrach of earlier times. For byzantines all heavy cavalry were cataphrach and their equipment changed over time.

Finally, as to the ability for horses to tank. They are quite a bit tougher than humans, trust me. That said you are right about the arrows they can take as well as two-handed weapons. Both need to hit properly, though. Arrows in the right place will take down a horse, but I think most bow-hunters will attest to how difficult it is to take an animal down by arrow, and how much placement matters. To the two-handed weapon in the head, that's an act of timing and precision when targeting an animal that is moving its head while propelling its body at high speed past you -- not impossible, but also quite the hit to rally off while you're standing basically in the path of this charging animal -- but I digress. With perks, you absolutely can one-hit a horse with two-handed weapons, two hits at most. There are perks to quite dramatically increase the damage done to mounts with two-handed weapons, so this reflects the level of skill to take down a massive animal so quickly. I think I'm okay with that, though I'd be interested in what balanced solutions that take those perks into account there might be.
Horses are not predators. They don't have will to fight. When horse is hurt it will run away. Even very well trained horses today can become scared of some minor thing and throw off their riders. It can happen even the best olympic level riders. Actual wound would be far worse than some minor noise.

It is true that for kill archer would need good hit, but even without that instantly killing perfect hit there would be very good chance that horse would get scared and do something that rider wouldn't expect. If both hand of that rider would be occupied with weapons. I think it would be very very hard to stay in saddle. And of course there is that instant kill possibility. Like if that unarmored horse would run to pike. No way to survive that. In game it take some minor damage and run away. Or stay close so that pike is useless and rider can poke pikeman with his spear.

Cavalry does not have all the advantages. I don't honestly know how that can be argued unless other playthroughs haven't been attempted. I actually find far more advantage with an all-archer party. That's my current playthrough, and me and my Fians are absolutely brutal. I have never ended battles as fast with cavalry. Another playthrough I have that absolutely leaves my cavalry playthroughs in the dust is a character whose party is primarily made up of Battanian Skirmishers. They take longer to get across the field, but this swarm decimates that field. The biggest disadvantage I see in cavalry is their post-charge run out, as well as when they get stopped -- they have no support when this happens, and simply get swarmed and taken out. Cavalry takes a lot longer once the fighting starts to end that fight. My archers end it before the opponent can even reach them to do damage usually, and my skirmishers are too good at supporting one another in battle for the enemy to get the upper-hand, and their javelins mean they're able to engage constantly, as long as I don't let them fire them all off in the opening. I really don't think it's as poorly balanced as some are saying, or else my cavalry games should be the ones dominating. Even when I've played horse-archers, they're so painfully slow at taking out the enemy. That's a big disadvantage when taking out the enemy is the objective.
Yes because armors doesn't exist archers are OP in SP. If armors would exist and horses would be like they are now cavalry would be OP. And of course with archer army you can cheese and run away when enemy reach your lines so you will never lose men if you don't want.

Now cavalry is OP in MP. No downsides and when horse dies they can continue fight as infantry. Usually with better armor than actual infantry. In MP archers are slow and everyone have shield and know how to dodge arrows.

When it is player using that cavalry he is never stopped if he doesn't choose so. Infantry can't catch him. Only way to win him is teamwork (or cavalry). But when it takes teamwork to take down one player there is a problem. And of course cavalry can kill anyone with just single hit.

Yes there were longbows, but as I said "Longbow as weapon of war was late 12th century thing" Some hunter may have had longbow, but armies didn't use them. English didn't have them and even Welsh didn't use longbow but different kind of bow. Vikings had longbows so Normans had to know them too but still in the Battle of Hasting they used different kind of bows.
Not that the Battle of Hastings represents some exhaustive and exclusive list of what weapons were in use during combat up to this point, but one of the major historical artifacts that shows us how they were armed and armoured in that battle is the Bayeaux Tapestry, and for what it's worth it does depict archers with bows which are about as long as the bodies depicted carrying them.

Either way, I'm perplexed that you resolutely believe the longbow was not used in military combat when it had been around for thousands of years at this point and the bow was not something unusual on any battlefield -- archeologists often find arrowheads at the sites of battles for a reason. You'll have to explain why you believe this because to me it makes no sense and seems to show a very exclusive and narrow lens on history. Welsh and English history is not the world's history, and certainly not even the actual history of any of the cultures depicted in the game.

And horse armors were not used in West, because they were not needed. Many armies didn't have archers at all and when there were archers they were peasant class archers. Nothing like professional archers/crossbowmen of later times. Cataphrach of course had horse armor earlier times, but 10th-11th centuries Byzantine cataphrach didn't use as much horse armors as cataphrach of earlier times. For byzantines all heavy cavalry were cataphrach and their equipment changed over time.
It's very well documented that their horses wore some rather heavy barding -- could you show me what sources you're operating by?

Horses are not predators. They don't have will to fight. When horse is hurt it will run away. Even very well trained horses today can become scared of some minor thing and throw off their riders. It can happen even the best olympic level riders. Actual wound would be far worse than some minor noise.
I don't think you know horses as well as you are asserting here. Warhorses were still in use during the time of gunpowder, when the stimuli that would spook the farmhorses you seem to be referring to were far less dissuasive to warhorses. Further, warhorse breeds are often known for their aggression, aggression they are bred and trained for. It's like you don't think thousands of years of history regarding cavalry warfare didn't happen.... Is it safe to say you want the game a certain way, and you're just arguing for that even if your arguments aren't actually based in historic fact?

It is true that for kill archer would need good hit, but even without that instantly killing perfect hit there would be very good chance that horse would get scared and do something that rider wouldn't expect. If both hand of that rider would be occupied with weapons. I think it would be very very hard to stay in saddle. And of course there is that instant kill possibility. Like if that unarmored horse would run to pike. No way to survive that. In game it take some minor damage and run away. Or stay close so that pike is useless and rider can poke pikeman with his spear.
This applies to human characters, too. A single arrow can hit a vital spot and kill the target instantly. Also, not many people just take an arrow from a warbow and shrug it off to keep fighting -- if we're to apply your rule for realism, then the player should react to taking even a single arrow, because people generally did. Of course that would be silly and people would complain about the game working that way.

Yes because armors doesn't exist archers are OP in SP. If armors would exist and horses would be like they are now cavalry would be OP. And of course with archer army you can cheese and run away when enemy reach your lines so you will never lose men if you don't want.
Armours do exist, and arrows do too. They did a rather tremendous amount of damage back then. I really don't see reason to your reasoning, other than that you have a way you like to play and in spite of all logic and historic fact you want the game redesigned to make your way of playing more powerful. But there's a reason cavalry and archers were fielded along infantry. The lore in the game's main quest even talks about a decisive battle being decided primarily by an ambush involving two lines of archers shooting down an entire army fielded by the Emperor...all his legionaries and everything.

You don't agree and you have an opinion, but honestly I think you and I can leave it at this unless you have some evidence you'd like to support your claims with. Otherwise I just see a difference in opinions, and you and I don't have a tendency toward respectful discussions. In that case, let's see some evidence because more unsupportable claims are a waste of time.

Since the Welsh were mentioned, anyhow, the first instance I find of them fielding longbows in battle was apparently all the way back in 633 against the Mercians.

Alexander the Great faced off against Indians armed with longbows, long before that.

Honestly, I don't want to be debating this unless there's at least some ability to cite things like this. Wishful thinking and historic revisionism both tend to only annoy me. :razz:

we do know why armours are cardboard and that it was forwarded to the responsible dev(s)
wow that thread is awesome, really hope the devs haven't discarded it and are still working to improve armors.

Armors feel wrong now and i'm not talking about realism just good gameplay, i would be very happy with an improved formula to make them feel abit more worthwhile in protecting you.

Just had a theory regarding armours and the experiences some players are having with them. Torso armour scores can get pretty high, easily absorbing at least half the damage from the most powerful weapons in the game and absorbing the damage from most of the rest. However, Arm and Leg armour scores are drastically lower, more approximating the mid-game levels of Torso armour, at best.

Are people aware of where they are getting hit? I definitely think especially Leg armour could use some improvement, especially as we can wear lower-grade mail on our legs but nothing to match later, more advanced mail armour ratings. The same applies to Arm armour, but less so since a lot of Shoulder and Torso armour overlaps the Arm slot.

Is it possible this is where the experiences around the armour being too weak is coming from? Certainly, my playthroughs usually involve me having at best a score of 20-25 coming from Leg armour, while my Torso armour can easily go above 50.

Not that the Battle of Hastings represents some exhaustive and exclusive list of what weapons were in use during combat up to this point, but one of the major historical artifacts that shows us how they were armed and armoured in that battle is the Bayeaux Tapestry, and for what it's worth it does depict archers with bows which are about as long as the bodies depicted carrying them.

Either way, I'm perplexed that you resolutely believe the longbow was not used in military combat when it had been around for thousands of years at this point and the bow was not something unusual on any battlefield -- archeologists often find arrowheads at the sites of battles for a reason. You'll have to explain why you believe this because to me it makes no sense and seems to show a very exclusive and narrow lens on history. Welsh and English history is not the world's history, and certainly not even the actual history of any of the cultures depicted in the game.

Sure about that bow lenght?

Some individual could have used it. But there were not armies that widely used them. Maybe because longbows take quite lot of training to use. Many years just to build required strenght. Because they were not widely used there was no need to counter them. One or two longbowmen in the army doesn't make any difference. Few thousand and knighs started to fight dismounted.

Bows were used in battlefields yes, but there is huge difference between few unarmored peasants using weak simple bows and few thousand trained professionals using longbows.
It's very well documented that their horses wore some rather heavy barding -- could you show me what sources you're operating by?

I don't think you know horses as well as you are asserting here. Warhorses were still in use during the time of gunpowder, when the stimuli that would spook the farmhorses you seem to be referring to were far less dissuasive to warhorses. Further, warhorse breeds are often known for their aggression, aggression they are bred and trained for. It's like you don't think thousands of years of history regarding cavalry warfare didn't happen.... Is it safe to say you want the game a certain way, and you're just arguing for that even if your arguments aren't actually based in historic fact?
Yes horse bardins are documented when we speak about 14th century and later times. And early cataphrachs in east of course. But if you check, for example, that Bayeaux Tapestry you mentioned, you don't find horse armors there.

It is totally different to hear loud noise than get wound. Cavalry warfare did happen, but horses were not tanks. If they would William's cavalry would have just runner over Harold's army in Battle of Hastings, but they didn't. And of course if horses would have been tanks French would have easily won Battle of Crecy. What could few longbows do against tanks.
This applies to human characters, too. A single arrow can hit a vital spot and kill the target instantly. Also, not many people just take an arrow from a warbow and shrug it off to keep fighting -- if we're to apply your rule for realism, then the player should react to taking even a single arrow, because people generally did. Of course that would be silly and people would complain about the game working that way.
Yes, unarmored human should die to arrows. One good hit should be deadly. That is why armors were used. Longbows could pierce chainmail up close, but even then armor would take most of the energy and wound wouldn't be even nearly as deep as it would without armor. From farther off even longbows couldn't piece chain mail and when it doesn't pierce it doesn't do any damage. Not enough force to cause damage without piercing so yes, if it wouldn't pierce anyone would be able to continue fighting. With adrenaline they wouldn't even feel it at all. Lesser bows like those peasant bows couldn't penetrate heavy armor. Of course they can still be deadly if they hit eye or something like that. And that should be risk with open helmets.
Armours do exist, and arrows do too. They did a rather tremendous amount of damage back then. I really don't see reason to your reasoning, other than that you have a way you like to play and in spite of all logic and historic fact you want the game redesigned to make your way of playing more powerful. But there's a reason cavalry and archers were fielded along infantry. The lore in the game's main quest even talks about a decisive battle being decided primarily by an ambush involving two lines of archers shooting down an entire army fielded by the Emperor...all his legionaries and everything.

You don't agree and you have an opinion, but honestly I think you and I can leave it at this unless you have some evidence you'd like to support your claims with. Otherwise I just see a difference in opinions, and you and I don't have a tendency toward respectful discussions. In that case, let's see some evidence because more unsupportable claims are a waste of time.
In game armors doesn't exist. They are just textures. 2 arrows or few strikes from 1h sword and that heavily armored guy goes down.

You speak about evidences? Seriously? So you have some evidence about tank horses. How horses run over line of pikes or something? Or horsed running over anything other than peasant armies. How about unarmored horses they used 10th-11th century?

Or maybe you have some battle records from 10th-11th centuries where archers were decisive factor? Longbows maybe?

Sure about that bow lenght?
As sure about that bow length as I am sure the Bayeaux Tapestry is a whole lot longer than that, and as I am sure that you are not arguing from research or with sincerity, really. You yourself should go and look at the rest of the tapestry, and see for yourself that I didn't just cite it for nothing. This is ridiculous. lol

I've indicated no desire to continue discussing this unless you can provide a level of evidence you seem to refuse to provide. As it sits you're continuing to waste my time and shouldn't expect more investment in a response than this.

Back
Top Bottom