Shall we talk about the paper armors?

Users who are viewing this thread

No objections. The problem is that professionals with long pikes were probably the least numerous type of professional medieval infantry. Only the Scottish and other native tribes of Britain come to my mind.
Yep, it was definitely not very common to have super-long pikes in the early medieval period. However the Byzantines did certainly have the menavlatoi, who were trained to brace an extra-thicc, reasonably long spear in the ground to resist a cavalry charge. In Bannerlord for some weird reason this has turned into a short glaive.
(all posts about Battle of Hastings)
I have a reply to Vonbalt's Hastings statements further up in this thread.
From what I've read about the battle, Russians stead firmly (spears+shield wall) and inflicted heavy casualties on both Byzantine infantry and cataphracts. Both sides used to gain the upper hand and had to retreat several times. Constant skirmishes and clashes (as this was a siege) eventually depleted human resources of both armies and the parties had to start peace negotiations. So, technically, that was a draw.
In that first battle outside the walls of Dorostolon, where the Russian force was presumably larger (given the casualties you will see later), the Russians held firmly against the Byzantine infantry, but definitely did not hold firm against the cataphracts. The cataphracts charged only once, breaking the shieldwall, crushing the Russians "within minutes", routing them, inflicting serious casualties, and forcing them to retreat into the castle.

Later on that year, they faced for a second battle, again the Russians formed a solid shieldwall, and Sviatoslav placed his army in very favourable narrow terrain which removed the Byzantines' numerical advantage, and were using archers behind the shieldwall to whittle down the cavalry (not heavy infantry, therefore irrelevant to the argument). The Byzantines thus decided to retreat in orderly fashion to gain more favourable terrain. Following this, John Tzimiskes rode with his cataphracts directly into the center of the Russian shieldwall, and the heavy cavalry rolled over it, causing heavy casualties. This second battle ended with 350 Byzantine deaths, and 15,000 Russians killed or captured.

It was a decisive victory, definitely not a draw; Sviatoslav sued for peace shortly after and promised to leave the Balkans in Byzantine hands, and all they gave him in return was food and safe passage home.
Hmmm, funny thing. The wikipedia article states that in this battle Varangian detachments (traditionally armed with two-handed weapons) managed to rout Norman cavalry (in the open field!!!), but were eventually cut off from their main forces and destroyed by Norman infantry.
You're reading about the first battle of Dyrrhachium (1081), not the second battle I'm talking about (1109). The wikipedia article for the first battle is misleading because it doesn't provide enough detail; I'm drawing from "The campaigns of the Norman Dukes of Southern Italy and Sicily to Byzantium, in the years between 1071-1108 A.D.", a PhD piece by Georgios Theotokis, and also a primary source of the Byzantine Anna Komnene's writings, which combined, provide much better detail. The Varangians, who in this instance were Anglo-Saxons (rather than Norse), were using shields and not two-handed weapons in this instance (as opposed to usual practice); another detail the wikipedia article is lacking is that the Varangians routed Normans who were a poorly disciplined mixture of light cavalry and light infantry. Not heavy cavalry, as is under discussion. And when they were attacked by the Varangians, they were busy fighting other enemies at the time, as opposed to charging the Varangians. It is definitely true the Varangians were here defeated by infantry, but that's neither here nor there for the purposes of a discussion about cavalry vs infantry.

Dyrrhachium (1109) I picked as an example because the Byzantine cavalry charge broke the Norman shielded infantry's center during the battle. It wasn't a large battle- the combatants numbered in hundreds- which is why it doesn't have its own Wikipedia article.
Well, real life does't work like games work. We can't say that non-polearm heavy infantry has no chances against heavy cavalry. Because medieval footmen were well aware of their own strengths and weaknesses. Many means of countering enemy cavalry were at their disposal - loose formations, stakes, wolf pits, forests:mrgreen:, hills and rocks and etc. Unfortunately, games do not give us the tactical depth of the real world, and usually all we can have is rock-paper-scissors "balance" - spearmen beat cavalry, cavalry beats swordsmen, swordsmen beat spearmen... And that sucks...
Agreed, but we have to make do.
When I said "deep formation" I didn't mean COLUMN of course, but not a "thin red line" either.
Oh, I know, but you did say 10 men. Let's say you have 100 infantry, your enemy has 90 infantry and 10 cavalry, and you put your infantry in a 10-man file as you said in order to deal with the cavalry charge. This is great, but now your opponent can easily encircle your square. So you wouldn't always go super deep unless you were only facing cavalry is what I'm trying to say. In combined arms battles it would be safer to go wide and seemed to be fairly standard practice.

Just a heads up to your last two posts, not meaning to be rude but for future reference: the moderators get annoyed if you make multiple posts in a row without anyone between, so try and keep everything in the same post.

An interesting study.
It makes me wonder if we have any documentary proof of "ramming" lance charges used in actual field combat...
Medieval games teach us to accept this as a historical fact. However is it really possible to ram a deep infantry formation (where every soldier weighs 100+ kg) with a long sharp stick (even with lance rest)? I mean, how strong (i.e. heavy and thick) should it be in order to "plow" a file of at least 5-10 armoured footmen? Almost impossible without breaking or getting stuck, even considering the total weight of horseman+horse (~650 kg).

That is Total War fantasy, lance can realistically kill up to 1 guy in armor (or knock him down). Heavy cav probably picked someone from the edge (flank) of formation by aiming the lance bit to the side while going around enemy infantry not through them. Obviously if formation was loose for whatever reason (for example because of chasing running enemy) then cav could move and knock people down much more efficiently. Also most charges probably did not happen at max speed (while this would probably "steamroll" few ranks of enemy infantry it would also result in suicide for the horse and rider) but more likely at some 10 m/s so the cav have actual time to change course if enemy dont break. So generally cav might have feignted the charge, if enemy broke they would actually continue with the charge, if enemy would hold the line then they would turn sharply to the left or right and perhaps would try to pick someone with lance from bigger angle while turning, also remember that lances were much longer than most of spears (3-7 metres if we include winged hussars). So generally what assumed in the later part of your post.

As for wedge, I think Byzantines specifically combined wedge to the center of army with super heavy cataphracts and then infantry followed and supported them in the battle, I think it is called Embolon formation (or Embolom?). Earlier (before Manzikert) cataphracts were generally less suited for lance charge and more of brawlers fighting in melee I think only 20% of them had lance + bow, rest fought with mace + shield.

Yep, it was definitely not very common to have super-long pikes in the early medieval period. However the Byzantines did certainly have the menavlatoi, who were trained to brace an extra-thicc, reasonably long spear in the ground to resist a cavalry charge. In Bannerlord for some weird reason this has turned into a short glaive.
I thought that menavlatoi were dismounted heavy cav in one battle (because general was afraid they will retreat if they have horses) and they were also meme late game unit in Stainless Steel mod for MTW2.

Last edited:
When you fight on foot you will find why these happened...By the way,you can draw back to the formation with motion in shape of L while it's not a proper time to charge the enemy by yourself.
Well...sometimes I also wonder,is bannerlord really a mount&blade game?Why can I even do better without a horse?

One thing that greatly affects the enjoyability of the game to me is how armors seem to not protect you at all, at first ok you have a tunic and one or two hits kill you, then you grind and level and wage war across an entire continent until you can save up enough to get some high end armor (or stole it from your new wife) just for it to barely make any difference at all, it's frustrating while this should be one of the basics of the RPG part of the game (character progression and itemization).

Don't know if the problem is in the formula or the armor rating that's too low overall but they don't feel protecting, everyone is tired of hearing this but armor worked much better in warband in my opinion, you truly felt the progress from a leather tunic to a chainmail then to a plate armor for example, you got much more tankier and low level troops with their rocks and poor weapons barely annoyed you with their hits while high level enemies still felt threatening but nothing that you couldn't tank for a while, not to say that it was perfect but it felt much more enjoyable to be able to rely on that protection for a while, in bannerlord you don't get that feeling cause a few arrows or rocks will kill no matter what if they hit even if you are using the best armor in the game.

Does anyone knows if TW acknowledged this problem and said if they are working on any solutions? i can't be the only one who thinks this, just look at the most popular mods on the nexus, "armor does something" came out just a few days after the EA release and "realistic battles" now is the most popular rebalancing mod there.

Of course i can use mods to tailor the game perfectly to my tastes over time but i would like the vanilla experience to be more enjoyable, the stronger the base of the game the fewer mods we'll need to make it truly shine.
Honestly, looters with their rocks dont threaten me at this pooint in the game. That said, I would like to point out that a brick to the face is still a mayor threat. I think this week a cop was hit in the head and KO'ed during some riots so even with head gear on objects do some concussive damage. Also having said that, I dont think looters are throwing bricks, but more like small rocks. The things you would use in slings for ammo. I don think they should do blunt damage but maybe some minor piercing or even cutting damage would be more appropiate.

I dont rock THE end game armors yet, but im like 1 tier below that but their hits dont really phase me all that much. My armor is comparable to some of the top tier heavy cavs in the cav in the game while some have better armor.

In combat I can take about 3-5 hits from normal weapons depending on what (and where) hits me and I havent been 1 shotted all that much to be perfectly honest. The few times that I can renember were:
-Start of a tournament in the first round. I load in. And get 360 no-scoped in the head by an arrow. Ok seems legit.
-I run full speed at an enemy cav with my 2 hander (hed left my spear at home) and get stabbed through the chest by him at full speed and kick the bucket. Needless to say I quikly went back for my spear after that fight.
-I run full speed at Batannian cav to take them out and get hit in the face with a javelin by the guy who I was going to hit with my spear. *headshot!*
-I was dismounted (so probably already damaged, forget to check) and while im fending off the hoard of peasants who come to shank me get hit by a couched lance from the back.

So none of those cases are really off. That said armor IS way underperforming imo. And I THINK its because damage numbers and formula are balanced for multiplayer? There even in normal armor getting 1 shotted rarely happens (by anything other then 2 handers) and needing 2-3 hits to kill you feels right in most cases. Sometimes if your not packing in to much armor at all 2 hits total killing you could be fair even. Heck the difference between hitting a high armor class with a sword vs a mace is really noticable.

But in singleplayer I feel armor should be allowed to have more of an impact.

Frankly, lances got buffed a bit in yesterday patch. Information about certain weapons is simply incomplete for now, further experimentation is needed in this regard. For example, jousting (but not war, different wood in shaft) historically accurate couched lances were tested, and they caused little bit over 100-220 joules of KE without lance rest. With lance rest they caused 200-300 J, however around 300J they broke very often. As for armor penetration, mild steel (or 14th century medium carbon steel) riveted mail with padding can stop bodkin arrow of up to 90-100 joules, however in bannerlord "era" low carbon steel (76% strength in comparison to mild steel) and wrought iron (56% strength) were used instead. So mail from this material should provide reliable protection from some 60-80 joules of bodkin arrow. But lances and spears are thicker than arrows, which means they have to defeat more material which means they need more energy. According to one test you need 140-200 joules of lance / spear impact to at least partially(!) penetrate mild steel riveted mail replica. As for blunt impact, thats educated guesswork, for example it is mentioned in Alexiad that byzantine emperor (good cataphract armor) survived three lance strikes (lances got stuck in his armor and almost dehorsed him) from norman knights, presumably couched lances and he survived without significant injury so blunt damage should not be instakill levels with lance, but how much blunt damage should be done is just guesswork and balancing.

One of the things that I would like to see is TW do the kind of research that you have previously linked.

I think that it would add enormously in the game if this were somehow reflected in the game stats.

One of the things that I would like to see is TW do the kind of research that you have previously linked.

I think that it would add enormously in the game if this were somehow reflected in the game stats.
Or they can ask me, ask about my sources and logic behind RBM armor changes and make their own conclussion, they dont even need to do the legwork. Heck we got even onager based projectile speeds for siege catapults (so they can actually hit both from short and long range, just like IRL, scientific paper with data on this was literally like second find on google). What most of TW lacks is enthusiasm / care about the game so they are halfassing what they can even when they have solid foundations sometimes (some of the code is overly complex so I think that perhaps original dev that wrote it is no longer working in TW and they dont know how to change it without breaking what already works, but thats just my conjecture, but it would explain snails pace development).

Or they can ask me, ask about my sources and logic behind RBM armor changes and make their own conclussion, they dont even need to do the legwork. Heck we got even onager based projectile speeds for siege catapults (so they can actually hit both from short and long range, just like IRL, scientific paper with data on this was literally like second find on google). What most of TW lacks is enthusiasm / care about the game so they are halfassing what they can even when they have solid foundations sometimes (some of the code is overly complex so I think that perhaps original dev that wrote it is no longer working in TW and they dont know how to change it without breaking what already works, but thats just my conjecture, but it would explain snails pace development).

Thanks - I mentioned it here:

Back
Top Bottom