Seriously, what is going on with the development team?

Users who are viewing this thread

It looks an awful lot like they got "idea guys" for management. That kind of people who are in their own heads thinking their ideas are the best, and treat the devs like servants who are only there to do their bidding. We know this because one of them went "Our friends and family liked it" before. Their thinking process usually revolves around googling up "Popular concepts in modern games" and vaguely pushing superficial ideas to the devs.

Last edited:
We know this because one of them went "Our friends and family liked it" before.
Oh no who said that! There's always new thing to be upset about lol
I can just imaging's someone bratty adhd kid "yeah dad I love to shoot all the guys and watch em aaaaaalllll DIE No the horses are perfect, they ALLL DIE when I shoot em with all my guys.... could we change them to machine guns?"

Meanwhile my family is concerned because they saw my video about killing your wives to get more babies faster from new younger wives.

Oh no who said that! There's always new thing to be upset about lol
It was during that argument about pre-defined classes in multiplayer way back. They said they were doing a play test with close relatives or something, and the testers liked the pre-defined classes, so they're not going to change it.

It was during that argument about pre-defined classes in multiplayer way back. They said they were doing a play test with close relatives or something, and the testers liked the pre-defined classes, so they're not going to change it.
I remember that, they had their families and friends as first beta testers for some reason. Possibly because they were anxious that the game was ****, so they wanted the first round of feedback to be uncritically positive.

Edit: And here's the thread. It was a leaked secret that generated outrage. :grin:

Disappointed that it wasn't actually true?

Last edited:
It looks an awful like they got "idea guys" for management. That kind of people who are in their own heads thinking their ideas are the best, and treat the devs like servants who are only there to do their bidding. We know this because one of them went "Our friends and family liked it" before. Their thinking process usually revolves around googling up "Popular concepts in modern games" and vaguely pushing superficial ideas to the devs.
Yep, some of the ideas are so bad you would have to be in that mindset to think they would work well.

It's a job. If you where free to do what you wanted it would have been your company. You work for someone that gives you money and you do what you're told.
What are you arguing about? I am saying since the company wants to make money you'd expect it to make good decisions.

It looks an awful lot like they got "idea guys" for management. That kind of people who are in their own heads thinking their ideas are the best, and treat the devs like servants who are only there to do their bidding. We know this because one of them went "Our friends and family liked it" before. Their thinking process usually revolves around googling up "Popular concepts in modern games" and vaguely pushing superficial ideas to the devs.
You might be onto something, completely unironically. For a long time ive thought something is up with whoever tw hired to conceptualize a game. My two cents are that tw hired someone who considers himself a "videogame market analyst" or theorist, and who thinks they know what makes a good game inside and out. They analyse popular trends, other games, genres, what sells and what doesnt etc. Deals in videogame design so to speak. And when they were hired the first goal was broadening the market through consoles. The other thing was they "cleaned house". As in, they looked at features and concepts and said "this goes, this doesnt, well change this, well change that". They tried to make this game into a more marketable simulator instead of an RPG. And when someone spoke up against it, the answer was probably "well, is it better to implement it and risk lower sales? I dont think so". It is a logical step to hire such a person, but for mount anf blade, it proved ultimately unhealthy

You might be onto something, completely unironically. For a long time ive thought something is up with whoever tw hired to conceptualize a game. My two cents are that tw hired someone who considers himself a "videogame market analyst" or theorist, and who thinks they know what makes a good game inside and out. They analyse popular trends, other games, genres, what sells and what doesnt etc. Deals in videogame design so to speak. And when they were hired the first goal was broadening the market through consoles. The other thing was they "cleaned house". As in, they looked at features and concepts and said "this goes, this doesnt, well change this, well change that". They tried to make this game into a more marketable simulator instead of an RPG. And when someone spoke up against it, the answer was probably "well, is it better to implement it and risk lower sales? I dont think so". It is a logical step to hire such a person, but for mount anf blade, it proved ultimately unhealthy
You guys are pretty good at crafting theories, especially this last one about outside consultant that put limits on game design.

I had it in my mind that this evil influence came from Lust and Callum, who are both very persuasive and both want to make SP look more like MP, quick and casual action. But they are the only ones visible so their role is easy to exaggerate. I mean, the MP class system was designed by someone else (the VAST guy), and not by the British pair of MP fans.

Another option is that Armagan himself nerded out with Steam analytics and concluded that most new players would ragequit if they are shown a dialog, so the game needed less depth and more action.

You might be onto something, completely unironically.
Well I was being dead serious. That kind of people is not uncommon in this industry. Actually, it's pretty natural that people think like that. When you talk to an analyst, they will keep talking about AI and stuff, because that's what popular in that field. They're an analyst, so they need to bring something analyst-y to the table. That's their deal. Otherwise why would we even need them there? This goes with other positions too. Talk to a QA guy and he won't shut up about testing and standards, resulting in that kerfuffle about internal modifiers that cripples modding potential.

What are you arguing about? I am saying since the company wants to make money you'd expect it to make good decisions.
Of all the things they failed to do with BL, making money is not one of them.

Edit:
Well I was being dead serious. That kind of people is not uncommon in this industry. Actually, it's pretty natural that people think like that. When you talk to an analyst, they will keep talking about AI and stuff, because that's what popular in that field. They're an analyst, so they need to bring something analyst-y to the table. That's their deal. Otherwise why would we even need them there? This goes with other positions too. Talk to a QA guy and he won't shut up about testing and standards, resulting in that kerfuffle about internal modifiers that cripples modding potential.
The dude talking about that, Duh, is an ascended modder. The guy responsible for Floris.

Last edited:
Of all the things they failed to do with BL, making money is not one of them.

Edit:

The dude talking about that, Duh, is an ascended modder. The guy responsible for Floris.
Floris is one of the pillars on which WB community rested upon. I understand that decisions are not for Duh to make, and I understand that if that were up to him, BL would be a bit more conceptually better. But, it is what it is. This was a surprise for me

I understand that decisions are not for Duh to make, and I understand that if that were up to him, BL would be a bit more conceptually better. But, it is what it is. This was a surprise for me
Yo, some of the decisions are up to him...

Like when people complain about a lot of the problems, the dev responsible straight-up posted their reasons why.

Last edited:
Solely? I probably phrased that incorrectly. I meant Duh does not make decisions by himself for the general direction of the game. I have no doubt that he possesses a certain amount of authority
He doesn't, but some of the unpopular decisions and direction he takes ownership of. Same with mexxico. mexxico straight-up big dicked the entire forum when he nerfed caravans, for the good of the game.

He doesn't, but some of the unpopular decisions and direction he takes ownership of. Same with mexxico. mexxico straight-up big dicked the entire forum when he nerfed caravans, for the good of the game.
I see. I suppose then my original assumptions were misplaced, and you are indeed correct. I maybe placed too much trust in the Floris background to realise this

I don't think Duh ever said "I decided X", and he is generally speaking on behalf of the team and the decisions this team abides by. At most, I've seen him give a personal, non-committal opinion on features that may or may not be his responsibility. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Back
Top Bottom