Seriously, what is going on with the development team?

Users who are viewing this thread

I don't think Duh ever said "I decided X", and he is generally speaking on behalf of the team and the decisions this team abides by. At most, I've seen him give a personal, non-committal opinion on features that may or may not be his responsibility. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Yeah he is just voicing the consensus...

Taleworlds has gone the same route as Bohemia Interactive with the Arma series -they've mandated its ok to release unfinished games as they now fall under the "Sandbox modder" category. This is the double edged sword of the extremely moddable game -Developers and Owners decide that they no longer have to deliver a polished gem as they can always fall back on the excuse "Well we cant please everyone and everyone has different desire for what they'd like Mount and Blade to be -Western/1066 War/Fantasy Warhammer etc" - so we'll just give you our newer engine with a cookie cutter game template with dialogue like "Generic Backstory" and yall pull out your coding crayons and fill out the rest"

Literally Bohemia has done the same exact thing and basically even stated that in more vague terms

I don't think Duh ever said "I decided X", and he is generally speaking on behalf of the team and the decisions this team abides by.
I'm thinking of the mod open letter thread. I'm sure he didn't decide that all by himself, but he's certainly gotten out and in front to own the result. He's not blaming management but presenting it (through himself) as the decision being made.

I'm thinking of the mod open letter thread. I'm sure he didn't decide that all by himself, but he's certainly gotten out and in front to own the result. He's not blaming management but presenting it (through himself) as the decision being made.
Yeah, he exposed himself there unwisely. In all likelihood, it may be his decision too, as he was formerly in charge of refactors and other code beautification. He'll come around though on that one and probably be an asset for the modders to get more support from Taleworlds. He's the one person in TW that I'm optimistic about (in addition to the nameless sceners).

Burned out and lack of vision/motivation imo

Give me a small solid dev team and I could turn this ship around in less than six months. I have been leading mod teams for almost 20 years and work in project management for light rail construction. After the ship is turned around it would be on to the after party content must which is in this thread -

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/the-content-i-would-love-to-see.432557/

Taleworlds has gone the same route as Bohemia Interactive with the Arma series -they've mandated its ok to release unfinished games as they now fall under the "Sandbox modder" category. This is the double edged sword of the extremely moddable game -Developers and Owners decide that they no longer have to deliver a polished gem as they can always fall back on the excuse "Well we cant please everyone and everyone has different desire for what they'd like Mount and Blade to be -Western/1066 War/Fantasy Warhammer etc" - so we'll just give you our newer engine with a cookie cutter game template with dialogue like "Generic Backstory" and yall pull out your coding crayons and fill out the rest"

Literally Bohemia has done the same exact thing and basically even stated that in more vague terms
When you say "polished gem" I'm thinking about optimization and bug-free, which TW are working on every patch. As for content-wise, I don't think their intent is to make a game devoid of features but it just so happens that they have a vision of the game which does not include every community feature suggested ever. Still, even so, for a game with moddability such as this I see no other course of action that makes so much sense... TW's biggest responsibility is to deliver an optimized, bug-free game with good modding support, and then they can choose certain features that they think fit best in the game for the vanilla experience. I still want to make reference to Warband which was a great game and had awesome mods, but still the unenhanced vanilla experience isn't that featureful either. We will pretty much see similar things with Bannerlord, yet I'll still argue vanilla Bannerlord will be a lot better than vanilla Warband when the early access period ends.

Yes, they probably belive they are making good decisions. I dont think they are deliberately sabotaging the game.
The second you make a game like this for console you're choosing to sabotage the game's potential

We all should've known the second it was announced for consoles it would never be the game we expected or hoped for, TW's would've known this too

The second you make a game like this for console you're choosing to sabotage the game's potential

We all should've known the second it was announced for consoles it would never be the game we expected or hoped for, TW's would've known this too

Yes that was a really stupid idea. They should have released it to PC first and then made a separate console port.

Back
Top Bottom