(S) Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising mod (Old Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found a couple of things.

There's a village south of Ashford whose name (of course) escapes me, but it's like Kel-something, that when you enter the town and go over the bridge, just to the right by a house there is a weird reflective triangle on the ground.

Also, I entered Uxkhal and was attacked by bandits plus several townspeople as well, so I had to kill them, too.

GreenStalker said:
Redleg said:
GreenStalker said:
Oh i forgot. The faction that's south of Sarradians. The guards in the capital they have a sword and it's missing a texture.

Thanks for letting me know.  I'll check in to it.  I haven't seen a missing texture in my game for those dudes but I will try to figure out what's going on.  Is it the sword or the scabbard?

Both sword as scabbard

I couldn't see any missing textures for the Kelton Castle guard.  Is it one of the other guards in the town itself?

WizardOfAtlantis said:
I've found a couple of things.

There's a village south of Ashford whose name (of course) escapes me, but it's like Kel-something, that when you enter the town and go over the bridge, just to the right by a house there is a weird reflective triangle on the ground.

Also, I entered Uxkhal and was attacked by bandits plus several townspeople as well, so I had to kill them, too.

Kelway is a town borrowed from native.  I didn't do anything to mod it.

Was it strange to be attacked by bandits or was it strange that townspeople were involved?  I have seen this before and always assumed it was part of Diplomacy or even Native behavior.  I have double-checked the constants to make sure the game knows where bandits begin and end. 

Redleg said:

Was it strange to be attacked by bandits or was it strange that townspeople were involved?  I have seen this before and always assumed it was part of Diplomacy or even Native behavior.  I have double-checked the constants to make sure the game knows where bandits begin and end.
It was Pevensey, sorry. I went and looked again just now in different weather (bright sunlight) and it just seemed slightly reflective there. Maybe it was night-time when I went the first time and it really stuck out.

Also, for that sky-box problem, I've noticed that it seems to be only the clear 08 skybox that is having the mesh problem. Every time I've gotten that error in the last couple of days it's been clear 08.

As to the bandit attack, it was strange that townspeople were involved. I don't remember that ever happening before. Normally it's just 2-3 bandits.

Redleg said:
GreenStalker said:
Redleg said:
GreenStalker said:
Oh i forgot. The faction that's south of Sarradians. The guards in the capital they have a sword and it's missing a texture.

Thanks for letting me know.  I'll check in to it.  I haven't seen a missing texture in my game for those dudes but I will try to figure out what's going on.  Is it the sword or the scabbard?

Both sword as scabbard

I couldn't see any missing textures for the Kelton Castle guard.  Is it one of the other guards in the town itself?

Inside the main hall guards.

WizardOfAtlantis said:
Redleg said:

It was Pevensey, sorry. I went and looked again just now in different weather (bright sunlight) and it just seemed slightly reflective there. Maybe it was night-time when I went the first time and it really stuck out.

Also, for that sky-box problem, I've noticed that it seems to be only the clear 08 skybox that is having the mesh problem. Every time I've gotten that error in the last couple of days it's been clear 08.

As to the bandit attack, it was strange that townspeople were involved. I don't remember that ever happening before. Normally it's just 2-3 bandits.

Thanks for the info about the skybox.  Someone at ModDB suggested a work around for it so that you can still use the skyboxes.  I don't know if it works, but they said it worked for them.  What they did was modify the skyboxes.txt file in the module's data folder and changed skybox_clear_08 to skybox_clear_01.  Make a copy of skyboxes.txt before making the change if you're going to try it.  Let me know if it works out. 

As for the townspeople, the only thing I can think of is that the addition of the musicians for the tavern animations might be part of it.  I will look into it and see if anything can be done.

I really appreciate your observations.  They will help me tidy up things a bit for the next version.  I will continue to release any necessary bugfixes before I release a new version, and those bug-fixes will be savegame compatible.  Speaking of a little bug,  I just noticed that one of the Khergiz lords is shirtless when he is in a castle.  I don't remember getting rid of his civilian clothes but I must have done. 

Ok, I'll give the 08 to 01 a trial. Glad to be of help.
edit: so far, so good
edit2: still no problems, so as a workaround, maybe it works-around :smile:

I'd also like to say, now that I've had some time to do my usual (which is continually starting a new game like every other day) and have seen a few of the cultures here and there (though not all of them very well at all, but still...) that I really like what you've done with the troops.

There is a tendency among mods to over-do it, in my opinion. Now, granted, a later time-frame enables this tendency very much, and soon you have steel-clad troops around every corner and they all have this air of sameness (to me, again). By using the time-line you have and stepping back, as it were, you've justified a very artfully-done inclusion of all sorts of lower-tier-looking armors, and given them functional stats, that really flesh out the game, and lend themselves perfectly to a situation where only the higher-tier troops are visually these armored behemoths.

And the part I really like are the lower-tier armors, all the cloths and gambesons and leather variations you've included, and spread around very well, I'd like to say. When I look at the troops, I see "simple" set-ups that are very appropriate to troop and culture, and by "simple" I of course mean the hardest part to get right, if I can get that across correctly. I think the tendency is to add this and add that (visually) and the troops' images become overworked (again, my personal tastes). Going along with that, I will admit that my favorite troops are always the lowest-tier troops, so add that into the equation as you will. Still, from what I've seen, great job on the troops (and bandits and so forth as well, of course).

edit3: I noticed a thing I don't think I've seen before. Over his castle, a lord had the same banner as I'd chosen in chargen.

WizardOfAtlantis said:
edit3: I noticed a thing I don't think I've seen before. Over his castle, a lord had the same banner as I'd chosen in chargen.

I think there a few duplicate banners in Warband.  I know that I dealt with one of them by modding the banner.  Can you tell me which banner it is that is duplicated?  Perhaps post a screenshot.

I appreciate your comments about the troop clothing.  I tried to provide a number of cloth armors to lower and mid-tier troops and am fairly happy with the results.  Each faction's troops have a distinctive look and there is clearly a difference between low-tier, mid-tier and upper-tier in terms of armor protection and types.  There were a number of good OSP armors out there that helped a lot. 

I had also thought about downgrading the top-tier armors a bit to better suit the time-period but couldn't find suitable replacements for them.  Ideally, mail hauberk would be the top-tier armor for most factions.  On the other hand, I didn't want to just use generic mail coats and hauberks for each of the factions top troops, so I kept some of the better armors, so long as they fit okay with the period.  So hauberks with an additional armor, like a lamellar chest protector, were kept.  Likewise the heavy scale of the Eastern, mail and surcoat of the Swadians, and so on.

I did leave many of the really good armors and weapons in the game, even though faction troops and bandits aren't equipped with them.  I wanted to give the player the choice of using them him/herself if they so choose or ignoring them in the shop inventory window.

Slavos said:
Really like your mod man,i don't have much time to play but when i play i play your mod :mrgreen:

Slavos, good to hear.  Let me know if run into any bugs or other weirdness.  For me, the mod plays better on WB 1.158 than on 1.168.  I can't figure out why, but my frame-rates in battles are better and there is less map lag on the campaign map.

If you have any suggestions for the next version, post them here.

I am playing in 1.667 and everything looks fine.About the bugs,there one thing that i have noticed when serving on Graveth army,during battles,rhodoks shielded units keeps changing from two handed weapons to shields repeatedly,is like if they are undecided about what weapon to use, I play with formations AI active if it helps. 

Slavos said:
I am playing in 1.667 and everything looks fine.About the bugs,there one thing that i have noticed when serving on Graveth army,during battles,rhodoks shielded units keeps changing from two handed weapons to shields repeatedly,is like if they are undecided about what weapon to use, I play with formations AI active if it helps.

I have seen this, especially before the troops are actually engaged with the enemy.  I suspect that it is a function of the PBOD weapon selection code.  I noticed this behavior even before I added the force-melee weapons script so I don't think that script contributed to the issue.  I also see it sometimes with archers switching rapidly between their bows and side-arms when they are being pursued.  I have done a search on the forums for this but haven't yet found any insights.  You can force your troops to use 1-handed and shield in the PBOD window. 

According to PBOD, the troops are supposed to only switch from pole-arm to side-arm when they are surrounded by enemy.  This may have been improved with later version of PBOD but those later versions were designed for use with WSE.  It may be that I can borrow some of the code from a later version.

Does this issue always occur?  If so, when during a battle does it seem to occur?

I don't know well since I am only freelancing right now,until now, it happens in every battle.Other thing that i would like to state here is that look like Rhodoks lords don't know how to use their units effectively, even if they have lots of spearmen they never form the spear bracing formation,crossbowmen never use volley fire order,just for you have an idea,during a fight against swadians,they used volley fire and square formation,but the rhodok units just charged in like if any order have been,well,ordered.We lost a fight of 200+  against 120+ that day :facepalm:

Slavos said:
I don't know well since I am only freelancing right now,until now, it happens in every battle.Other thing that i would like to state here is that look like Rhodoks lords don't know how to use their units effectively, even if they have lots of spearmen they never form the spear bracing formation,crossbowmen never use volley fire order,just for you have an idea,during a fight against swadians,they used volley fire and square formation,but the rhodok units just charged in like if any order have been,well,ordered.We lost a fight of 200+  against 120+ that day :facepalm:

I have only seen the AI use spear bracing a few times.  You're right, the AI leaves a lot to be desired.  Sometimes AI uses formations and sometimes they don't.  And from what I have seen, it's often the allied AI that doesn't use it.

Redleg said:
I think there a few duplicate banners in Warband.  I know that I dealt with one of them by modding the banner.  Can you tell me which banner it is that is duplicated?  Perhaps post a screenshot.
I think I got rid of that save, but it's very distinctive. It's a black mountain or a wave (depends how you look at it, I guess) on a white background (a white top behind the wave/mtn).
Redleg said:
I had also thought about downgrading the top-tier armors a bit to better suit the time-period but couldn't find suitable replacements for them.  Ideally, mail hauberk would be the top-tier armor for most factions.  On the other hand, I didn't want to just use generic mail coats and hauberks for each of the factions top troops, so I kept some of the better armors, so long as they fit okay with the period.  So hauberks with an additional armor, like a lamellar chest protector, were kept.  Likewise the heavy scale of the Eastern, mail and surcoat of the Swadians, and so on.

I did leave many of the really good armors and weapons in the game, even though faction troops and bandits aren't equipped with them.  I wanted to give the player the choice of using them him/herself if they so choose or ignoring them in the shop inventory window.
Yes, historically it can be a bottleneck for creativity, and it kind of becomes tedious and tiresome at that point. Viking Conquest fell into that trap big-time at the beginning.

Personally, I think the higher-tier armors are fine just like they are. It's all right to have heavier armors on top-tier troops when you have such a wonderful selection of gambesons and leather and hats (that red felt conical hat is awesome).

Choice is always nice. I always liked that in other mods for what regards basic firearms. I don't necessarily need arquebus troops, if they don't fit, but a weird one-off for my player, or a special big sword or suit of armor, now that's cool.

Hey man,i just found a cool feature called body sliding or whatever,the same that is used in 1257 A.D,the source code is available in Silverstag  source and Dr.Thomas have allowed others modders to use it,maybe you could put it in your mod,what do you say?

EDIT-Just found a bug in your mod,sometimes my character got duplicated in tournaments,same for companions.

EDIT 2- You should take a look at the Barezan dialog in the salt mine,is really bugged,sometimes it send you to the town menu, and after that you get options like: Manage the garrison,Manage this town,etc.

EDIT 3- Since you are using Tocan's stuff for the salt mine, I have took a look at his source and found what is causing the bug.I know that you are not a newb and know how to fix things by yourself but I could not resist in posting this fix :mrgreen:

Tocan's code
Code:
#####################################################################################################################
#Salt Merchant  
  [trp_salt_mine_merchant,"start", [(call_script, "script_dplmc_print_subordinate_says_sir_madame_to_s0"),],    
   "Welcome {s0}. What can I do for you?", "salt_merchant_talk",[]],
  [anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "I want to buy some salt. I think this is the right place...", "salt_trade_requested",[]],
  [anyone,"salt_trade_requested", [], "Your right! I will make you a good price... I don't know why but I like you! **** the gods if you find a better place to buy salt!^Here, have a look at my stock...", "salt_trade_completed",[[change_screen_trade]]],

[anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "I have some prisoner to work in your mine.", "prisoner_work_requested",[]],
  [anyone,"prisoner_work_requested", [], "Excellent! I'm always looking for new slaves, because nobody want to work in the mines. You will earn weekly 10 denars per slave. I think in the future you think twice if you sell your prisoners... bring them to me!", "salt_trade_completed",[(change_screen_exchange_members, 0),]],

[anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "Nothing. Thanks Barezan.", "close_window",[]], 
  [anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "Thanks Barezan. I must leave you now.", "close_window",[
       (jump_to_menu,"mnu_salt_mine"),
       (finish_mission),
	   ]],  
#####################################################################################################################

My fixed code
Code:
#Salt Merchant  
  [trp_salt_mine_merchant,"start", [(call_script, "script_dplmc_print_subordinate_says_sir_madame_to_s0"),],    
  [anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "I want to buy some salt. I think this is the right place...", "salt_trade_requested",[]],
  [anyone,"salt_trade_requested", [], "Your right! I will make you a good price... I don't know why but I like you! **** the gods if you find a better place to buy salt!^Here, have a look at my stock...", "salt_trade_completed",[[change_screen_trade]]],

[anyone,"salt_trade_completed", [], "Anything else?", "salt_merchant_talk",[]],
  [anyone,"prisoner_work_completed", [], "Anything else?", "salt_merchant_talk",[]],

[anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "I have some prisoner to work in your mine.", "prisoner_work_requested",[]],
  [anyone,"prisoner_work_requested", [], "Excellent! I'm always looking for new slaves, because nobody want to work in the mines. You will earn weekly 10 denars per slave. I think in the future you think twice if you sell your prisoners... bring them to me!", "prisoner_work_completed",[(change_screen_exchange_members, 0),]],  

[anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "Farewell Barezan.", "close_window",[
       (finish_mission),
	   ]],   
####################################################################################################################

Make sure this line in Goods Merchants is commented
#  [trp_salt_mine_merchant,"start", [], "Hello.", "goods_merchant_talk",[]],

Slavos said:
Hey man,i just found a cool feature called body sliding or whatever,the same that is used in 1257 A.D,the source code is available in Silverstag  source and Dr.Thomas have allowed others modders to use it,maybe you could put it in your mod,what do you say?

EDIT-Just found a bug in your mod,sometimes my character got duplicated in tournaments,same for companions.

EDIT 2- You should take a look at the Barezan dialog in the salt mine,is really bugged,sometimes it send you to the town menu, and after that you get options like: Manage the garrison,Manage this town,etc.

EDIT 3- Since you are using Tocan's stuff for the salt mine, I have took a look at his source and found what is causing the bug.I know that you are not a newb and know how to fix things by yourself but I could not resist in posting this fix :mrgreen:

Tocan's code
Code:
#Salt Merchant  

[anyone,"prisoner_work_requested", [], "Excellent! I'm always looking for new slaves, because nobody want to work in the mines. You will earn weekly 10 denars per slave. I think in the future you think twice if you sell your prisoners... bring them to me!", "salt_trade_completed",[(change_screen_exchange_members, 0),]],

[anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "Nothing. Thanks Barezan.", "close_window",[]], 
  [anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "Thanks Barezan. I must leave you now.", "close_window",[
       (finish_mission),
	   ]],  

My fixed code
Code:
#Salt Merchant  

[anyone,"salt_trade_completed", [], "Anything else?", "salt_merchant_talk",[]],
  [anyone,"prisoner_work_completed", [], "Anything else?", "salt_merchant_talk",[]],

[anyone,"prisoner_work_requested", [], "Excellent! I'm always looking for new slaves, because nobody want to work in the mines. You will earn weekly 10 denars per slave. I think in the future you think twice if you sell your prisoners... bring them to me!", "prisoner_work_completed",[(change_screen_exchange_members, 0),]],  

[anyone|plyr,"salt_merchant_talk", [], "Farewell Barezan.", "close_window",[
       (finish_mission),
	   ]],   
####################################################################################################################

Make sure this line in Goods Merchants is commented
#  [trp_salt_mine_merchant,"start", [], "Hello.", "goods_merchant_talk",[]],

Slavos, thanks for the heads-up about the salt mine.  I don't think I have ever seen this error but I have only talked to Barezan one time, and that was right after implementing the salt mine back in the spring.  I will make sure I fix it for the next release since the fix is probably not save-game compatible.

I have made a few minor changes to the troop equipment since the original release but no scripting changes.  I will release my save-game compatible changes as patches and then save the non-save-game compatible stuff for a larger release, probably in a few months. 

For the time being, you can still use the salt mine to drop off prisoners without having to talk to Barezan.  I have not had any problems with that in any of the save-games.

Made 5 variants of the eastern byzantine armor,if you like them i can upload and sent via PM to you.I actually don't know if they are compatible with the time period,though.

Scale over scale :mrgreen:
MiBB21c.jpg

e9WhWWN.jpg

FesEZwl.jpg

fZzOMvU.jpg

pMoMgZ6.jpg

P.S- Eastern Province is my new favorite faction :party:

Did you mod these yourself from the Freds pack?  I like them.  You can post them as an OSP that way others could also download them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom