(S) Calradia 1050 A.D.: Mercenary Uprising mod (Old Thread)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am already using a few of Pino's armor packs and a bunch of other OSP armors.  I think I will probably be able to equip the custom troops fairly well.  I just haven't decided what culture they will represent.  I like to have a consistent theme for each faction and also try to make each faction distinctive from the rest.  I am open to suggestions.  My current thinking is to have the custom troops equipped in lots of leather gear since my other factions don't use much of it.

I think adding the custom troops will be the last major addition to this version of the mod.  I am happy with all the other features, many of which were added some time ago. 

I still have some polishing to do to the campaign map and a few other things such as the menu backgrounds or whatever the heck they're called.  Once this version is released, which will be soon, I will work on making some other changes, such as replacement castle scenes for a few castles, all of which will be save-game compatible.

Here's some screenshots of some of the Kelton troops.  Click on the thumbs to enlarge.

Kelton Champion- Tier 6 infantry wearing my own mascled (scale) armor.

Kelton Household Warriors- Tier 5 infantry, in the front of the formation.

Kelton Skilled Levyman- Tier 3 infantry

And finally, Kelton Veteran Levyman- Tier 4 infantry

The 3 solo images are of my own character, enlisted (Freelancer!) in a Warlord Terfel's army.  As you can see, I progressed quite rapidly, having started out at level 1 and without "cheating."  I retired from service after day 60, having climbed to the top tier, and got to keep my armor and weapons upon retirement.  With what little money I earned as an enlistee, I recruited 12 Kelton Household Warriors from the Kelton castles and town and next I will go bandit hunting so I have some prisoners to put to work at the salt mine to make some more money.  Grind, grind, grind.

Nice! The halberds and the strange sword(is it some type of khukri?) look a bit out of place(maybe because I subconsciously think Kelton=Celts), but certainly look nice.  :smile:

Antonis said:
Nice! The halberds and the strange sword(is it some type of khukri?) look a bit out of place(maybe because I subconsciously think Kelton=Celts), but certainly look nice.  :smile:

The halberd looking things are supposed to be English bills and the swords are supposed to be shortened bills.  I got them from Lucas's OSP arms.  I am going to mod the shortened bill to remove the little hook and make them look more like a leaf-shaped Celtic short sword.  I know the English bills are slightly anachronistic but I didn't want to do away with them and most of the other factions' preferred pole-arms.  I was looking through some other meshes last night trying to find an example of an earlier type English bill but most of them looked like glaives with a little hook on them.  Other bills look like the hafted-blades in Vanilla, which I gave to the Eastern Empire.  I like the idea that each faction has a distinctive pole-arm used by tier 4 and tier 5 troops while their lower tiers rely mainly on the vanilla spear types and a few osps spears I added.  I have tried to pick pole-arm types that made sense for the time period and also the culture.  I picked the English bill for the Keltons because the Keltons are a combination of Celts and Saxons, who made up Britain (along with the Angles, Jutes, Danes, Scots, etc).

I recently took away some of the top-tier armors because they didn't fit well with the intended time period.  You may see some lords wearing them but the top troops are pretty much limited to armors having below 45 in torso and below 13 in legs protection.  For example.  Tier 5 infantry normally has armor that is the equivalent of a mail hauberk (40 torso, 12 legs).  Tier 6, the top infanty, normally have a hauberk plus something, either a jupon, padding, or lamellar vest. 

I also took away the Swadian bec-de-corbin because it was a later medieval weapon.  The Swadians sergeants kicked some butt with the bec-de-corbin so I hated to see it go.  I gave them a long pole-mace in it's place.  I am torn on what to do with the military hammers that some of the Rhodoks have.  Those particular hammers were probably not around in the early medieval period.  Anyway, whenever I struggle with these anachronisms I keep reminding myself that this is Calradia 1050 rather than Europe 1050! 

Oh, the do look nice, though. And yeah, it is a fantasy setting. It can be realistic, but since it isn't Europe or any other real place, it certainly allows room for creativity. The sword remodelled like a seax of some kind is a very good idea. The warhammers and the crow's beaks were used after the 14th century, so it is a rather large gap. If it means anything, I have both in my (modded)native game, playing the 'fantasy' rule again.

Antonis said:
Oh, the do look nice, though. And yeah, it is a fantasy setting. It can be realistic, but since it isn't Europe or any other real place, it certainly allows room for creativity. The sword remodelled like a seax of some kind is a very good idea. The warhammers and the crow's beaks were used after the 14th century, so it is a rather large gap. If it means anything, I have both in my (modded)native game, playing the 'fantasy' rule again.

I agree completely.  I appreciate historical accuracy but given limited time and resources, it is difficult to attain.  Even then there will likely be honest disagreements.  Speaking of warhammers, I have been working on a mesh and textures for an early-looking war hammer.  If I can get it to look good I might use it to replace the Rhodok hammers.

Any word on when the next Fires of War patch will be coming?

I'm working on the patch as we speak. New items, new graphics, new faces and new troops. I am playtesting and changing mostly now, not too long before a release. I hope it's the same for both our mods, regarding the release( :razz:).

The early war-hammers sound cool, I mostly use a blunt weapon in any game, so I can really appreciate them.

Update for 29 Sep:
I have added all the planned features to this mod and am currently testing and tweeking.  Everything is working well at this point.  I still have a few minor things to do before releasing (mostly map-related), so I expect to be able to release this stable version within the next two weeks.

In my current game, the two new factions seem to be doing well, especially since they are only half the size of other factions and with fewer towns, castles, and villages.  I enlisted with the Keltons, progressed through the ranks, and then became a lord.  We were able to capture some Sarranid and Swadian castles and are doing fairly well.  Of course, the Keltons have my help so I don't know how they would do otherwise.  The Khergiz have taken over 2/3 of the Sarranid Sultanate but have not yet gone to war with the Eastern Province.  They recently declared war on the Keltons.

I finally had a chance to fight against the Khergiz Horde.  They are some tough hombres but my Kelton troops were able to withstand them, in spite of being outnumbered and with far fewer horsemen.  The Khergiz Horde has more mounted units than any in this mod, and even has a level 27 heavy horseman that is better than the Khergit Lancer in vanilla Warband.  The Khergiz also have a small infantry line that is fairly capable but tops out at level 19.  I may have to tone-down the armor on the higher-level Khergiz horse troops because they have just been dominating.

I am again vacillating about adding custom kingdom troops.  I have added much of the code already to an experimental version but decided to spend more time tweaking my current stable version.  I figure with 8 different cultures to choose from, adding a custom kingdom troop may be redundant. 

I recently added recruitment from towns to go along with the already in place castle recruitment.  I was tinkering around with having different troops available in towns than in castles but couldn't get it to work properly so both towns and castles will allow you to recruit tier-5 troops.  I also added the overhand spear animation so that spearmen should be more effective and further modified spear damages.  In this mod, all factions tiers 1-3 infantry are equipped with a type of 1-handed spear and shield (and a side-arm).  Tiers 4 and 5 infantry will have a polearm weapon for two-hands, such as the Rhodok glaive or the Nord long axe.  The Keltons tiers 4 and 5 now have an early form of long bill that is mainly for cutting.  Tier 6 infantry has 1-handed and 2-handed weapons and shields.

I also changed the tournament equipment for all of the towns.  You will no longer find bows, lances, or crossbows in tournaments.  I always found lances kind of stupid in the tournament since the arenas were usually so small that I couldn't really get up to speed to effectively use a lance.  The AI troops don't use lances very well in tournaments either.

It won't be long.  I am finishing up the last things.  Everything is working well and I am satisfied with the features and troops/equipment.  Just a few "cosmetic" things left, mainly the map and a few graphics.

Update: I am in the final phase of modding and testing and expect to release version 1 within the week.  I am currently testing it on WB 1.168 for the first time to see how it works since I have only played it on 1.158 before.  The game plays well in 1.168 although I am getting a few animation-related rgl notifications showing in the rgl_log.txt that didn't show up when I played with the 1.158 version.  These errors are occurring during game load and not during game play.  All the added animations appear to be working fine in-game.

I'll snoop around my module system files a bit to see what the deal is.  It is most likely related to the Papa Enhanced Combat animations pack and the overhead spear animation.

I am also creating the full features and credits list so I can post them here and also include with the mod when I release.  Fun stuff.

I snooped around a bit and found that the missing animation errors showing up in WB 1.168 is not a problem.  According to Somebody in another post, "those are  are just warnings for resources which aren't mapped and can be safely ignored. The musket animation stuff is from before VC."

Besides, the animations appear to be working in WB 1.168 so I believe the mod will be fine running in any version of Warband from 1.153 and up.  Now I don't have to dink around anymore with the animations which were kind of a pain in the backside.

As soon as I finish the features, credits, and backstory document, I will be ready to upload the mod to ModDB.  I'll post the link here on the first page when it's ready.  It may be a few days yet but should be no later than this Sunday evening, earlier if I can get my work work done sooner!  I have too many papers to grade.  I guess I will stop assigning so much work.  The students will love me for it.

WizardOfAtlantis said:
haha, I saw the link on the first post and immediately went to moddb...and got met with a countdown timer! hahaha never saw that before. 22 minutes left  :grin:

I hope it was worth the wait.  I believe that people will enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom