Retreating/Routing: archers and cavalry should do it more often.

Should archers/cavalry retreat more often?

• No, they retreat enough.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infantry shouldn't retreat either. Victory or death!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Infantry tend to rout while archers, cavalry, and horse archers tend to fight to the death.
Maybe it's time to do something about this.

A typical example:
c4C3jq9.jpg

It looks and feels ridiculous to see infantry try (and fail miserably) to run away while auxiliary units far away from the action, who can see that the battle is beyond over, stand their ground like Leonidas.

Mounted units can easily run from a bad situation, bu they rarely take advantage of this.

Right now the retreat/rout decision-making formula seems to heavily overweight nearby ally deaths over the other critical factors (how well the battle is going and how easily a unit can retreat).
Maybe those factors should be weighted a little higher.

What do you think?

I think archers get some morale gain while shooting enemies, so they need to lose more morale in melee fight before they would retreat. Higher morale gain/loss for nearby actions is a good thing, but there should be a component which is independent of the distance between troops.
Plus, there could be a passive morale loss for ranged troops if enemy formations are just nearby them.

I would also like to see some softer version of "Hold your grounds" order: I want to order archers to hold position, but fall back to avoid melee fights if enemy formations will approach them. "Follow your sergeants" is not a solution, because this behaviour covers all possible commands, including charge.

Back
Top Bottom