Recent comment by Callum spills the beans on Bannerlord combat in a really disheartening way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a popup "tutorial" for wasd, but nothing simple like: "0" + "F6" for auto ai combat for those who want a simpler combat experience. Unless there is and I missed it?

EA is usually:
Customers: feature validation, quality testing, cash, promotion
Devs: evaluate feedback, update roadmap and communicate direction

However, in this case, it's more like:
Customers: quality testing, cash and promotion
TW: periodically say something ambiguous

In any case, I'll keep on holding up my side of the EA expectation.

Come through for us TW!! ❤
I wish I was as optimistic as you, the state of single player is currently a bad joke

The problem with complex tactics is you would luike the AI to use them too. The perfect example is Total War games.

They offer deep micro while in battle, but its very hard to do a effective AI who could counter your tactics. So you can always win against stronger armies just because the AI cant use the same tactics than you. And its not because they are bad AI programmers. To program a good AI is very hard, and it becomes exponentially harder the more options have the player.

I would prefere more limited options in battle if it makes the AI more competitive on it.

Limited options doesn't make an AI act any smarter than if it had a few basic battle tactics. You can beat the AI anyway eventually, that's why it's called AI.

Haha, wow. Crazy thread.

What I said was just my take on Mount & Blade games in general and how I have always seen them. There are tons of strategic elements to Mount & Blade games, I just meant that the focus isn't aimed at those aspects of the games, as is the case with grand strategy and 4X games. In Mount & Blade, you jump on a horse and ride alongside your men into the fray. And while raising an army, commanding your troops, trading to build your wealth, conquering territory, managing relations, and so many other things are all very much big parts of the series, at the very heart of it all is this great skill-based directional combat system that is fun to play, and is ultimately what the rest of the game revolves around.

Haha, wow. Crazy thread.

What I said was just my take on Mount & Blade games in general and how I have always seen them. There are tons of strategic elements to Mount & Blade games, I just meant that the focus isn't aimed at those aspects of the games, as is the case with grand strategy and 4X games. In Mount & Blade, you jump on a horse and ride alongside your men into the fray. And while raising an army, commanding your troops, trading to build your wealth, conquering territory, managing relations, and so many other things are all very much big parts of the series, at the very heart of it all is this great skill-based directional combat system that is fun to play, and is ultimately what the rest of the game revolves around.
This thread made some people call me a "fanboy" so.. Pretty crazy indeed. I don't know if you could make a more clear point than this but I still think they'll just keep their drama going..

Haha, wow. Crazy thread.

Only a tiny fraction of the promotional material focused on the combat. I can think of like 2, maybe 3 blogs out of over 100 that talked about the individual combat. It's really obvious that the game is supposed to be about more than just fighting enemies, because there are these massive auxiliary systems like the ecomomy, lord politics and battlefield tactics that have been teased for years and make up the majority of the player's hours ingame, yet could be part of a game without MnB's combat or even a game with an avatar in it.

What's more, the directional combat is something most players barely interact with. The moment you get on a horse the blocking and directionality becomes almost moot. I played something like 3 full campaigns in warband without ever learning to block, and a lot of SP guys are so accustomed to autoblock that they complained at its removal in bannerlord. I don't think this is bad per se, but it also strikes me as weird that you would call the combat the core of the game when it makes up so little of most people's experiences, and there are so many mechanics that are like 3 degrees removed from actual fighting, and which lots of players cite as the reason they played warband.

The AI has MORE options than we have, at the moment. Giving us the same abilities, along with working formations including the most basic ones (shield wall and spear wall) and a simple battle map to give commands similar to Warband would probably be nearly enough. Given that this is supposed to be an M&B 2 that should be the minimum to expect.
What options has the AI and you dont have? You have formations in the game too, just press F3 and you will see them (shield wall include).
Limited options doesn't make an AI act any smarter than if it had a few basic battle tactics. You can beat the AI anyway eventually, that's why it's called AI.
I bet you are not game developer and never have to program a AI :razz: . The problem with options is more options = more decisions. And each decision makes the AI more and more complex.
A easy example: If you have a entity who only can move in one direction, you dont need a AI. If it can move in 2 directions, you need a AI for taking choices. Each direction will make the AI complex. i know its an absurd example, but its good for undestanding the point.

@Callum thank you for the clarification. May I suggest a different perspective, one from a new fan of the series?

Though the action part of Bannerlord is indeed unique and quite fun even in its current state (fighting alongside your small army), I respectfully disagree that this is the core of the game.

If multiplayer was the focus of Bannerlord, I would agree. In multiplayer, the action is king.

However, in singleplayer the action is not the center. Telling a player-driven story is.

I'll prove it:
Right now doing battles is mostly of what there is to do in the game in singleplayer. If that was the core, it wouldn't feel so grindy and the endgame wouldn't feel completely empty.

I say this because, though I understand the action style of the game is its most UNIQUE gameplay feature, the action is not and cannot be the core of the singleplayer experience.

Thank you.

Haha, wow. Crazy thread.

What I said was just my take on Mount & Blade games in general and how I have always seen them. There are tons of strategic elements to Mount & Blade games, I just meant that the focus isn't aimed at those aspects of the games, as is the case with grand strategy and 4X games.
Can you name one in Bannerlord?

Your reaction is like any company would react to a **** storm. Where are those "strategic elements"? Can I have some of those? Fighting the same lords over and over and over and over again?

We now know that you want to create a Call of Duty Warband....but you want to be it successful (earn money), we loved Warband....and now you just do nothing? Which last update did something?

But hey, you got my 50 bucks....offer me a refund and I´ll never play this game again. 2 hours are not enough on Steam.

Nice try on damage control though, saying you do care....

Those are your last updates:

Hotfix (e1.4.2 - 09/06/20)
  • Three perks (chink in the armor, show of strength and generous rations) were causing negative troop prices. This is fixed.
  • Fixed an issue that caused players to become stuck in the defection persuasion conversation.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when Needs Help with Looter quest ended.
  • Fixed an issue that caused automated kingdom decisions for player mercenaries.
  • Fixed an issue with combat tips and raise the meek perks relating to a miscalculated passive XP gain.
  • Fixed and balanced an inflation issue with item prices.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hotfix (e1.4.2 - 11/06/20)

• A bug that caused conversations to freeze was fixed.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when the player clicked on encyclopedia avatars.
  • A crash caused by a stillborn child was resolved.
  • A problem with being unable to name a twin has been fixed.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hotfix (e1.4.2 - 12/06/20)

Singleplayer
  • Fixed a problem that caused item prices to be close to average prices in all towns. This made profitable trading for players and caravans very hard.
Multiplayer
  • Fixed a bug regarding map path barriers.
  • Fixed a bug that caused Remove Friend Request button to be invisible and show the wrong message on click
WOW! And Duck Tales also told us to not expect a big update soon.I´m not going into detail what your patch notes claimed they fixed it.

So whatever, you took my 50€ enjoy it, as if you care.

At least you dont just only post patch notes....can you give me link to the Steam forum? You claimed in your description that you also post there? (Not talking about patch notes but gathering feedback) A single link?

So just release the next useless patch and make an AD on steam about it = more money. You are damn lucky to have those good reviews like "I´ll drink from your skull" with 2 hours of playtime. You need like 10+ hours to see that your game isn´t working like Warband (which is a great game but not like Call of Duty)

I also enjoyed your tech alpha in the first 10 hours until I noticed this game is just full of place holders. And now you´re rewriting the code AGAIN! 50€!!! I paid for some other EA fails which were buggy and never got completed, but not 50€.

The Steam thead which claimed this is a scam was of course closed. But this is a scam!

TW like: Just give us your money! Your opinion doesn´t care! It´s EA! For just 50€!

Last edited:
You did the same during the beta. Don't act surprised.
Describe "the same" to me. I never called someone a fanboy who's not obviously a fanboy buddy, if I'ld take a look on their comments right now, I know that I'll mostly see some non-sense analogies, useless excuses and attempts to divert the direction of the argument everytime someone makes a good point when there's a dissatisfied fan involved so.. They were pretty well deserved. I don't mind being called a fanboy, it's just absurd as even a short peek at my comment section will reveal, lol. I only pointed it out because it's dumb.

Describe "the same" to me. I never called someone a fanboy who's not obviously a fanboy buddy, if I'ld take a look on their comments right now, I know that I'll mostly see some non-sense analogies, useless excuses and attempts to divert the direction of the argument everytime someone makes a good point when there's a dissatisfied fan involved so.. They were pretty well deserved. I don't mind being called a fanboy, it's just absurd as even a short peek at my comment section will reveal, lol. I only pointed it out because it's dumb.
You always argue to argue smh, i will leave it to this ????

As stated in the thread above, they are looking at making companions able to lead different formations. This will hopefully lead to more tactic options.

But hey, you got my 50 bucks....offer me a refund and I´ll never play this game again.

Finally. So u r acting like funny kid every single day crying like a young virgin, because of huge amount of 50$ ??? poor, sad, frustrated kid wasting his time, coming here everyday, writing, complaining. And Why? Because he spent 50$ ??? Its beautiful, u r amazing.

Just give me Your bank account, I’ll send you money and save Your life. And if u finally dissapear from here - u will also save us :smile:

Just give me Your bank account, I’ll send you money and save Your life. And if u finally dissapear from here - u will also save us :smile:
I as a virgin, will message you my paypal.Lets see if you deliver...I´ll post a screenshot here if you do. If not just another fanboy. I never demanded from the community to give my money back. So are you a liar?

You never hear a single word from me again if you send me those 50€ as you claimed.

EDIT:

Send this fanboy a message awaiting the 50€

Last edited:
What options has the AI and you dont have? You have formations in the game too, just press F3 and you will see them (shield wall include).

Shieldwall doesn't work as shieldwall, but as a mere workaround for getting your troops to lift their shields. Also, since recruits are thrown into the same group and forced to take part in every battle your shield wall consists mostly of easy targets when you don't have a fleshed out, recruitless army.
Spear wall (including passive spear damage) does not exist, which would be an even more (if not by far the most) important feature for medieval oriented factions.
The AI can order troops e.g. to protect or attack flanks or to skirmish - both are most basic orders, important for every battle between the stone ages and the age of blackpowder. We can't give them, and even if we could it would be extremely annoying to do so via F-keys instead of a battle map.

Finally. So u r acting like funny kid every single day crying like a young virgin, because of huge amount of 50$ ??? poor, sad, frustrated kid wasting his time, coming here everyday, writing, complaining. And Why? Because he spent 50$ ??? Its beautiful, u r amazing.

Come on man, you are embarrassing yourself... There are people who don't get their arses stuffed up by their parents, some people have to work hard for every cent they get. You on the other hand seem to be a classic, miserable bully without any sense for mutual respect, humility or humbleness. Get lost.

Come on man, you are embarrassing yourself... There are people who don't get their arses stuffed up by their parents, some people have to work hard for every cent they get. You on the other hand seem to be a classic, miserable bully without any sense for mutual respect, humility or humbleness. Get lost.

Thanks, but it´s fine. I send him my paypal email, let´s see :wink:

I´ll let ya know (will be my last post if he really pays, which he won´t do). Also I don´t need the money, but I expect a working game if I pay 50€ for it. And he,as a fanboy (not a virgin) claimed to pay it, but I´m just a virigin (best argument ever!).

51c8ba-1592580042.png

Last edited:
Haha, wow. Crazy thread.

???

This thread only happened because "expectations" based on personal perceptions is taking precedent over reality based information for some people. Bannerlord should remain only an upgraded version of previous games perhaps with a few new features (obviously better graphic and engine) and hopefully easier modding. To expect more and in many cases far more (to the point of it being in a new genre) is the fault of the individual, not the company.

While most people were spending time complaining in this thread, we have been spending time on Discord figuring out how to create a script to have NPCs incite war. First version already up on Nexus while the rest of us are combining it with 3 different mods mine adds mercenary armies to the player kingdom, and the script needs more work and debugging but by the time is done youll be able to tell the merc army to attack another kingdom to incite THEM to declare war with you so you dont take a hit with any of your clans (and adds realism, depth). If we can get this working right, we want to combine it with "army formations made easy" while trying to convince Nightmaremen to work on "Diplomacy Reworked" in one big overhaul mod that adds a great deal of depth to the game. This way we can all work together, helping each other with what are rather important mods so they can be updated and even expanded faster.

Community, working together to make the game better. It gets things done. Complaining about personal expectations not being met does nothing. Almost all of it is not even constructive and next to none of it is even in the FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS forum like it should be so it can be taken into consideration not just by TW, but by us modders that may give us some ideas of what some people want to see.

End result of the current mess of this forum? Nothing getting done other than chaos. Use the right forum, be constructive and watch how things change.

End result of the current mess of this forum? Nothing getting done other than chaos. Use the right forum, be constructive and watch how things change.
TW is ignoring this forum and the Steam forum! But thanks for making mods! You keep the game playable for free. This "game" without mods...that would be interesting here. One excuse less :grin: .

Then it´s only like:

- EA
- small indie company (90 employees, so maybe 70 devs?) pretty small

I bet i´m shortly banned because I tell the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom