Recent comment by Callum spills the beans on Bannerlord combat in a really disheartening way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody imposes anything on you! You can still play as you please if we get proper tactical abilities!
And if you don't like proper strategy in a medieval game where you lead troops into battle as part of the core gameplay then go play CoD or Mordhau.
Thankfully.. Because Callum already gave you Rome 2 fans an answer. Just stop complaining about it. M&B was never meant to be a Total War, that's just your fantasy. Again, proper groups and hopefully better A.I. is all there's to come and that's all we need. Go use the mods for the kind of experience you want. RPG is more important and it's the focus for the core of M&B players, noone asks for a freaking tetsudo and the kind of battles lasting ****ing hours, considering we'ld be doing them all the time, it's obvious how boring it'll be, you do you with the mods.

Thankfully.. Because Callum already gave you Rome 2 fans an answer. Just stop complaining about it. M&B was never meant to be a Total War, that's just your fantasy. Again, proper groups and hopefully better A.I. is all there's to come and that's all we need. Go use the mods for the kind of experience you want. RPG is more important and it's the focus for the core of M&B players, noone asks for a freaking tetsudo and the kind of battles lasting ****ing hours, considering we'ld be doing them all the time, it's obvious how boring it'll be, you do you with the mods.

3 minute battles.... arcade fantasy 4 minute sieges ... mosh pits.... for the win....:iamamoron::iamamoron::iamamoron::iamamoron: It's so Rome 2 like to have working battle lines....

In the thread: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...r-role-in-deciding-the-tide-of-battle.426052/ (Read this for more context)

Callum commented: "The game leans more on the action RPG side, with just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there. The video in the OP is great, and I think that it is awesome that people are making these types of mods and that the game supports them, even at this early stage, but I think that something along those lines would be too complex to use as a player and draw the game out too much, ultimately detracting from the fast-paced action and gameplay."

There you have it folks: "Action RPG, with just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there", focusing on "fast-paced action and gameplay", worried more complex features in combat that "would be too complex to use as a player and draw the game out too much".....wow. We didn't sign up for Call of Duty: Bannerlord. We signed up for a STRATEGY/ACTION RPG as billed on the steam store page, with Medieval Combat Simulation, not run and gun surface level combat.

Read into this comment how you like, I just thought people should be aware of this information/opinion.
Good god, no wonder the game is getting worse with every patch.

Jeez, that tantrum. Go mod your game and leave us alone.
Do you work a job that I can do for you for free too? Seriously when did it become OK to expect private mod devs to fix the game for free?

What we're missing here is a community manager who provides detailed information and closes the loop on feedback on a regular basis. This would help those of us who have rolled the dice on EA to feel like we're part of the process of making the game better- that we all have skin in the game. It would keep people engaged, improve reviews, and, in the end, make a better product and help them sell more.

Why they are not doing any of this and why they are moving so slowly...I don't know but I can't think of any answer that is "good".

Your absolutely right they should, but they arent a customer-centric company. TBH im waiting for the OP to get banned, this is my third account after posting negative (even constructive) feedback. Every person and company makes decisions based on virtues/values, to me it seems self evident that money is TWs first priority, over customers or quality products.

Last edited:
We need to have access to some of the commands the AI uses in addition to a few other important tactical tools.

Cavalry protect flanks. Protect both flanks (select single cavalry group, splits evenly and protects both flanks), Protect left flank, Protect right flank.

Reserve Position. Unit moves to position behind main line. Additional Attack Commands. Attack Left, Attack Center, Attack Right.

Army Formation. We should be able to set groups to formation slots, creating our own custom formations. Army begins fight lined up in formation. Army moves in formation when whole army is selected and moved. A "Reform" command would instruct army back to formation.

Group Formation and Line Depth. Each group number in your army should have a user selectable formation setting. If the formation set is a line formation (lose or tight) the depth should be specified here. 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 rows deep.

Just a few thoughts.

We need to have access to some of the commands the AI uses in addition to a few other important tactical tools.

Cavalry protect flanks. Protect both flanks (select single cavalry group, splits evenly and protects both flanks), Protect left flank, Protect right flank.

Reserve Position. Unit moves to position behind main line. Additional Attack Commands. Attack Left, Attack Center, Attack Right.

Army Formation. We should be able to set groups to formation slots, creating our own custom formations. Army begins fight lined up in formation. Army moves in formation when whole army is selected and moved. A "Reform" command would instruct army back to formation.

Group Formation and Line Depth. Each group number in your army should have a user selectable formation setting. If the formation set is a line formation (lose or tight) the depth should be specified here. 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 rows deep.

Just a few thoughts.

Good ideas, Some people like blob aimless battles and feel something approaching tactical game play is for mods only.

Good ideas, Some people like blob aimless battles and feel something approaching tactical game play is for mods only.
That isnt a a good argument for not implementing. Why do devout fans on this game expect it to only be playable after adding private built mods TW isn't funding? I have actually heard old fans say this game being coded like a steaming POS to be a good thing because its allowed more mods @_@.

Just a few thoughts.
alot of this is available in mods, unfortunately many of which make the game even LESS stable. Apparently this is standard practice with Taleworlds - they make a rough concept for a game, then let their devout fans finish coding it with free mods.
you wont see it said much though, as devout trolls and mods sweep away any negative comments.

People like you are the reason companies can act this way

No, people like most of those TW fanboys defending everything they throw at us are the reason companies can act this way.
We have to complain and show them that we don't accept the trend of dumbing down everything for the sake of the casual masses (= money), otherwise he is totally right.

The whole discussion is a bit difficult and prone to splitting hairs because we don't know what will be the end version of Bannerlord battles in the vision of the devs. There may be some improvement, even if we don't get to formations like in the video which already scare the fast and furious fans who think the Total War vanilla game battle garbage is the peak of tactical acting (which it is not of course; who does play Total War games unmodded??).

Meanwhile I would be glad if I had more than 5 seconds to give orders to my troops before the enemy is at the tip of my nose.

The whole discussion is a bit difficult and prone to splitting hairs because we don't know what will be the end version of Bannerlord battles in the vision of the devs. There may be some improvement, even if we don't get to formations like in the video which already scare the fast and furious fans who think the Total War vanilla game battle garbage is the peak of tactical acting (which it is not of course; who does play Total War games unmodded??).

Meanwhile I would be glad if I had more than 5 seconds to give orders to my troops before the enemy is at the tip of my nose.
Personally im just after a stable game, past I dont think theres much hope for the direction they seem to be taking it. The depth it has is vanishing quickly and balance is randomized almost daily

There's a popup "tutorial" for wasd, but nothing simple like: "0" + "F6" for auto ai combat for those who want a simpler combat experience. Unless there is and I missed it?

EA is usually:
Customers: feature validation, quality testing, cash, promotion
Devs: evaluate feedback, update roadmap and communicate direction

However, in this case, it's more like:
Customers: quality testing, cash and promotion
TW: periodically say something ambiguous

In any case, I'll keep on holding up my side of the EA expectation.

Come through for us TW!! ❤

The problem with complex tactics is you would luike the AI to use them too. The perfect example is Total War games.

They offer deep micro while in battle, but its very hard to do a effective AI who could counter your tactics. So you can always win against stronger armies just because the AI cant use the same tactics than you. And its not because they are bad AI programmers. To program a good AI is very hard, and it becomes exponentially harder the more options have the player.

I would prefere more limited options in battle if it makes the AI more competitive on it.

The problem with complex tactics is you would luike the AI to use them too. The perfect example is Total War games.

They offer deep micro while in battle, but its very hard to do a effective AI who could counter your tactics. So you can always win against stronger armies just because the AI cant use the same tactics than you. And its not because they are bad AI programmers. To program a good AI is very hard, and it becomes exponentially harder the more options have the player.

I would prefere more limited options in battle if it makes the AI more competitive on it.

The AI has MORE options than we have, at the moment. Giving us the same abilities, along with working formations including the most basic ones (shield wall and spear wall) and a simple battle map to give commands similar to Warband would probably be nearly enough. Given that this is supposed to be an M&B 2 that should be the minimum to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom