Recent comment by Callum spills the beans on Bannerlord combat in a really disheartening way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StewVader

In the thread: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index...r-role-in-deciding-the-tide-of-battle.426052/ (Read this for more context)

Callum commented: "The game leans more on the action RPG side, with just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there. The video in the OP is great, and I think that it is awesome that people are making these types of mods and that the game supports them, even at this early stage, but I think that something along those lines would be too complex to use as a player and draw the game out too much, ultimately detracting from the fast-paced action and gameplay."

There you have it folks: "Action RPG, with just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there", focusing on "fast-paced action and gameplay", worried more complex features in combat that "would be too complex to use as a player and draw the game out too much".....wow. We didn't sign up for Call of Duty: Bannerlord. We signed up for a STRATEGY/ACTION RPG as billed on the steam store page, with Medieval Combat Simulation, not run and gun surface level combat.

Read into this comment how you like, I just thought people should be aware of this information/opinion.

Last edited:
Oh yea, that hurt´s.

It seems like that they don´t know what we loved about Warband. Or maybe they just think that they can sell more copies of the games when they dumb it down compare to Warband. :sad:

I am not sure what happened to TW, but it seems that there was a really long gap between this EA and the previous titles, that many people already left. The code from the previous titles were not handed over properly and there was little continuity between the turnover of staff.

It seems like TW is struggling because of two things: 1) still optimizing the battle engine, 2)they have no idea how to code in the stuff that are missing. I worked in an IT company where the engineers are slow not because they are slow, but they don't know how to do.

Threads like this, where you call attention to a dev's stray comment and pick it apart word by word, is a surefire way to get the devs to stop talking to us at all. Today's the first time in weeks that Callum has interacted on the forums except to post the patch notes and now his words are being used against him. Why would any dev talk candidly to us if this is this is how they get treated?

I was a bit surprised to read that too. I mean, if you look at warband its kind of similar in how you pretty much just clash armies, but I think this is an area where improvements could make the game a lot more rewarding.

I think players should totally be able to just charge their troops in, especially on lower difficulties, but having advanced controls in order to pull off tactical maneuvers should be available for those with the patience and skill. So really, you can have the best of both worlds.

I really hope he takes the feedback on this thread and that thread into consideration.

Threads like this, where you call attention to a dev's stray comment and pick it apart word by word, is a surefire way to get the devs to stop talking to us at all.

I think its kind of a double edged sword, we get so little interaction that we jump at it like hungry piranhas which in turn may be discouraging the interaction in the first place. I notice people are nicer to mexxxico, I think because when he makes a comment he frequently follows up when people react to it. It makes it feel less like telling and more like a conversation.

There you have it folks: "Action RPG, with just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there", focusing on "fast-paced action and gameplay", worried more complex features in combat that "would be too complex to use as a player and draw the game out too much".....wow. We didn't sign up for Call of Duty: Bannerlord. We signed up for a STRATEGY/ACTION RPG as billed on the steam store page

I think most of us signed up for the same thing we got from Warband. It's really on the consumer to know what he's buying, especially so if he played the previous game(s)

By the way, the Steam tags you feel so cheated by, are applied by Steam users, not the devs or publishers. See here: https://store.steampowered.com/tag

Threads like this, where you call attention to a dev's stray comment and pick it apart word by word, is a surefire way to get the devs to stop talking to us at all. Today's the first time in weeks that Callum has interacted on the forums except to post the patch notes and now his words are being used against him. Why would any dev talk candidly to us if this is this is how they get treated?

How is reporting what they said mistreating them? Come now my good man. Surely, he said what he said, and you seem to be having a hard time accepting it.

I think most of us signed up for the same thing we got from Warband. It's really on the consumer to know what he's buying, especially so if he played the previous game(s)

By the way, the Steam tags you feel so cheated by, are applied by Steam users, not the devs or publishers. See here: https://store.steampowered.com/tag

Its actually not a steam tag. Its actually listed in the ABOUT THIS GAME section, on their store page. Perhaps look things up before commenting? Or dont, you're wrong either way.

Its actually not a steam tag. Its actually listed in the ABOUT THIS GAME section, on their store page. Perhaps look things up before commenting?

The horns sound, the ravens gather. An empire is torn by civil war. Beyond its borders, new kingdoms rise. Gird on your sword, don your armour, summon your followers and ride forth to win glory on the battlefields of Calradia. Establish your hegemony and create a new world out of the ashes of the old.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is the eagerly awaited sequel to the acclaimed medieval combat simulator and role-playing game Mount & Blade: Warband. Set 200 years before, it expands both the detailed fighting system and the world of Calradia. Bombard mountain fastnesses with siege engines, establish secret criminal empires in the back alleys of cities, or charge into the thick of chaotic battles in your quest for power.

Could you tell me what part of that isn't accurate? Everything else on the page is a Steam tag.

Regardless, your complaint isn't really valid since it's still a strategy game.
Actually it is valid, based off of what Callum said in his comment. He literally said: "The game leans more on the action RPG side, with just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there". So is he wrong or you?

You also seem to be confused or perhaps failing to think critically? Or maybe you just cant help yourself.

How is reporting what they said mistreating them? Come now my good man. Surely, he said what he said, and you seem to be having a hard time accepting it.
Yeah, he said what he said in context of a specific thread. Go argue about it there. But pulling it out of context into a whole new thread just so you can pick it apart is pretty sleazy IMO

Actually it is valid, based off of what Callum said in his comment. He literally said: "The game leans more on the action RPG side, with just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there". So is he wrong or you?

You also seem to be confused or perhaps failing to think critically? Or maybe you just cant help yourself.

I actually did look it up and found you were wrong, those are actually steam tags. Please see my edit.

By the way, action and strategy are not mutually exclusive terms.

I agree with this, as disheartening as it is, it's nothing new, nor beans spilled, it's just how they think they should approach certain things, and we are here to prove that it is the wrong way. By communicating.
Hence i share the same fear about these kinds of posts driving devs away.

The horns sound, the ravens gather. An empire is torn by civil war. Beyond its borders, new kingdoms rise. Gird on your sword, don your armour, summon your followers and ride forth to win glory on the battlefields of Calradia. Establish your hegemony and create a new world out of the ashes of the old.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is the eagerly awaited sequel to the acclaimed medieval combat simulator and role-playing game Mount & Blade: Warband. Set 200 years before, it expands both the detailed fighting system and the world of Calradia. Bombard mountain fastnesses with siege engines, establish secret criminal empires in the back alleys of cities, or charge into the thick of chaotic battles in your quest for power.

Could you tell me what part of that isn't accurate? Everything else on the page is a Steam tag.

You are creating a straw man. I didn't say that was inaccurate. I said the game is billed as a "Strategy / Action RPG" on the steam page, in the ABOUT THIS GAME section. Its not billed as an ACTION RPG with "just elements of strategy sprinkled in here and there".

As I said, you can read into the comment as you like. I know what my take away is.

I agree with this, as disheartening as it is, it's nothing new, nor beans spilled, it's just how they think they should approach certain things, and we are here to prove that it is the wrong way. By communicating.
Hence i share the same fear about these kinds of posts driving devs away.

This game I've been playing was an action rpg all along! Confirmed by the devs. I now feel cheated.

Yeah, he said what he said in context of a specific thread. Go argue about it there. But pulling it out of context into a whole new thread just so you can pick it apart is pretty sleazy IMO

How is it out of context? Please substantiate your claim.

What we're missing here is a community manager who provides detailed information and closes the loop on feedback on a regular basis. This would help those of us who have rolled the dice on EA to feel like we're part of the process of making the game better- that we all have skin in the game. It would keep people engaged, improve reviews, and, in the end, make a better product and help them sell more.

Why they are not doing any of this and why they are moving so slowly...I don't know but I can't think of any answer that is "good".

Substantiate my claim? Are you a lawyer?
It's out of context because you left out the rest of the thread that he was commenting on. Duh.

I linked the thread...and put it into the context of battles. You are just wrong. Don't accuse me of taking something out of context, if you can't even describe how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom