Read Leviathan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Most definitely. I felt like the story fell well short of the ideas, and he could have gone so much farther. I think I spent about as much time looking at the art, as I did reading the book.

It has vivid descriptions of the inside of a giant whale-airship-bird-fish-elephant thing. It also has people dying by machine guns. So somewhat gory.

"Tiny black wings fluttered along the searchlight beams, and the aeroplane shuddered and shook as it plowed through the bats. But somehow it kept coming.
        A hundred feet away the machine finally twisted in the air. The wings folded, and pieces fluttered in all directions. The gunner's cockpit broke off, his weapon still blazing. The propeller somehow wrenched itself from the engine, spiraling away like a mad insect.
        Deryn felt a trembling under her feet, and she pulled off a glove, kneeling to place her palm on the freezing dorsal scales. A low moan shook the airbeast. Bits of the disintegrating plane were tearing into the Leviathan, rupturing the membrane. Deryn closed her eyes.
      One stray spark would turn them all into a ball of fire.
      She heard a cry. Mr. Rigby was staggering away down the slope of the airship's flank, clutching his stomach.
      "He's hit!" Newkirk shouted."

Jean_a_Normandie said:
        "Tiny black wings fluttered along the searchlight beams, and the aeroplane shuddered and shook as it plowed through the bats. But somehow it kept coming.
        A hundred feet away the machine finally twisted in the air. The wings folded, and pieces fluttered in all directions. The gunner's cockpit broke off, his weapon still blazing. The propeller somehow wrenched itself from the engine, spiraling away like a mad insect.
        Deryn felt a trembling under her feet, and she pulled off a glove, kneeling to place her palm on the freezing dorsal scales. A low moan shook the airbeast. Bits of the disintegrating plane were tearing into the Leviathan, rupturing the membrane. Deryn closed her eyes.
      One stray spark would turn them all into a ball of fire.
      She heard a cry. Mr. Rigby was staggering away down the slope of the airship's flank, clutching his stomach.
      "He's hit!" Newkirk shouted."

I was expecting a bit more than that. Kinda like being ankle high in blood and gibbets and membranous fat.

Well, it's not exactly gory. But descriptive. I couldn't find the pages with the battle between the KMS Beowulf
and the Stormwalker. If I had, that was definitely going up.

Sorry for reviving this topic, but now that the final book of the trilogy is out, I think it's worth a revive.

Has anyone read it? I read it and thought it was pretty good. When I started the series I was thinking "No ****, machines will destroy animals," but the author was really creative and the forces were pretty balanced in my opinion. If you haven't already, give the trilogy a shot. He describes the machines and creatures really well, the amazing artwork helps too. Plot is fairly interesting, seeing the different factions and what kind of machines/creatures they use was really cool.

This book trailer explains things,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYiw5vkQFPw

Jean_a_Normandie said:
I'm Clanker all the way.

x2

Though that comes as a surprise to absolutely no one.

Anyways, I hope Aleks and whats-her-face ****. Yeah, I haven't read the books since a year ago, what?

Jean_a_Normandie said:
I'm with you on that too. Well, maybe not to that degree, but the relationship would be cute. :3

Well you don't have to worry. Totally not a spoiler, everybody knew that it would happen anyways.  :grin:

Some very epic new machines and beasts in the new book.

Woah, thanks for making this topic you have got me interested beyond a doubt

I'm already pro-clanker

Back
Top Bottom