MP Re-enable freelook in first-person view

Users who are viewing this thread

My suggestion: Re-enable freelook in first-person view

The fact that this feature (first person use of ~ key by default) has been deliberately removed from the game doesn't make sense in relation to other implements that were made to the benefit of realism.

Gameplay wise, to those daft enough to go for full immersion and only play 1st person, it's like playing near blind. In SP, in the frontline, i have to turn my back on my enemies to look over my shoulder and see how the rest of my troops are doing. I can no longer inspect my troops the way i want to, or look in awe around the noble halls and other environments, without contorting my body.

In Multiplayer, I can no longer look left, right or over my shoulder to see where my teammates are in the heat of battle, and as such my decision making is extremely impaired. In warband, it was one of the features i used most in MP.

Freelook has been a UX staple in single- and multiplayer games since the mid 90's in general, and the character of Mount&Blade games warrant its presence too. It was a mistake to remove this by design and it should be put back.

If the concern is for things to seem more polished by not having the player look down his own neck hole, it still doesn't make sense to sacrifice this affordance as a whole instead of improving the quality of the first person camera. Besides, there are multiple events in the game still that allow players to look down their own neck, such as being bumped over by a horse.

Please let me turn my virtual neck again, TW, i need it so badly.

Further links:
Bug report marked "fixed" but problem persists, followup question ignored:

Bug report marked "fixed" but problem persists:

Bug report marked "fixed" but problem persists:

Suggested improvements for camera system:

Last edited:
100% want and agree, makes first person better and more immersive. I don't want 360 spin all ways, but a nice amount both left and right as well up and down would be nice.

Thank you for linking those threads and showing Marda's post about it being an intentional design decision. I would love to know the reasoning behind it, it is one of the most frustrating things in the game to me. This decision stands out to me as a mark that the developers have not considered players who prefer first person perspective at all.

@AVRC Apologies for pinging you but I feel strongly enough about this small issue that it would be great to know why this was removed going into Bannerlord from Warband.
I can't promise much but I will look into it to at least check what happened to the 'fix' and forward it to the appropriate people.
@MArdA TaleWorlds

This specific issue, the first person free look and all the failure leading up to it, characterize the entire problem with TW's attitude to their community and development proces. I give up

Last edited:
I think first person needs freelook just like in warband. The reason for this is that when you block with a shield it is very immersive but it blocks your whole sight. Also freelook is useful as an archer in order to take a glance at the sides while reloading or as infantry to check the situation while blocking arrows

Merged the thread with the older one. This really should be looked into, especially since the awkward 3rd person camera sometimes makes you need to get into 1st person, when entering low buildings or near a wall.

I updated and played a bit today. You still can't free look in first person view. So to check my flank I need to press R to enter third person view, then hit the free look key to look around, then press R again to enter first person view again. It's stupid.
As for the update in patch notes about fixing first person neck clipping, I never really noticed before. FPV feels the same as ever. Using shields sucks. Not having any indicator as to whether I've begun a combo attack or not sucks.

Back
Top Bottom