Problem with throwing weapons in melee combat - they are too strong.

Users who are viewing this thread

If we look upon physics the whole combat system is far from reality. Damn a horse can fall 2 or 3 meters and doesn t get crippled or the rider who doesn't fall of the horse. After all its a game. "Realty" doesn't matter, "balance" is the key in such situations. Maybe I'm alone with this opinion.

Take throwables out of Skirmish and give Captain mode REAL strong throwing weapons, we will gladly take them. Don't do a universal nerf to throwing weapons please.

If we look upon physics the whole combat system is far from reality. Damn a horse can fall 2 or 3 meters and doesn t get crippled or the rider who doesn't fall of the horse. After all its a game. "Realty" doesn't matter, "balance" is the key in such situations. Maybe I'm alone with this opinion.
Yes but when game mechanics are imba AND unrealistic they trigger twice.

Take throwables out of Skirmish and give Captain mode REAL strong throwing weapons, we will gladly take them. Don't do a universal nerf to throwing weapons please.
Taking throwables out of Skirmish is complete nonsense. That would be just another huge buff to cavalry (and a minor buff to archers). Just lower the melee damage of throwing spears to that of equal size spears.

If melee was more rewarding ppl would throw less without any nerf needed. Just buff the infantry for once.

I mean, I've been wanting to see more gamey elements be put into Bannerlord if it means less abhorrent balance. I still think that TaleWorlds could learn a few things from fighting games regarding a less frustrating multiplayer.

This is not the same. Arrows and bullets are trown by an external mechanism that is stronger than a human trow. The spear is trown by the same movement as the spear is thrust.

If trowing spears used an atlatl it would be comperable.
Kinda depends, if the throwing spear is thrown off a building and goes down it would gain serious velocity and do lethal damage for sure. theres a lot of factors to take into account. but we aint here to discuss realism are we?

Kinda depends, if the throwing spear is thrown off a building and goes down it would gain serious velocity and do lethal damage for sure. theres a lot of factors to take into account. but we aint here to discuss realism are we?
Granted. A spear trown downhill would certainly gain momentum.

As for the realism part I'm really biased as I am a sucker for realism even if it makes the balance total ****. Right now the balance is **** without any realism.

This is not the same. Arrows and bullets are trown by an external mechanism that is stronger than a human trow. The spear is trown by the same movement as the spear is thrust.

If trowing spears used an atlatl it would be comperable.
No offence, but i dont think you know how throwing mechanism works, bow shooting mechanism relying on same physics that human body uses to throw thing, its called lever arm mechanics, only difference is that bow is artificial one mechanism instead
Judging by your logic, thrown spear should fly with same speed as arm movement of a man who thrown it

Granted. A spear trown downhill would certainly gain momentum.

As for the realism part I'm really biased as I am a sucker for realism even if it makes the balance total ****. Right now the balance is **** without any realism.
Agree on realism, i would rather play an immersive game that is cool to feel instead of balanced game which needs you to reassure your knowledge about physics of real world to understand how to play a game

The spear is trown by the same movement as the spear is thrust.
Not quite, the spear thrusts in the game do not have quite the windup as the spear throws do, and in real life, proper spear technique is to simply "flick" thrusts, as a large motion as telegraphed as a windup to throw a spear would be countered in a melee.

Not quite, the spear thrusts in the game do not have quite the windup as the spear throws do, and in real life, proper spear technique is to simply "flick" thrusts, as a large motion as telegraphed as a windup to throw a spear would be countered in a melee.
Yeah but a large range of motion as windup to throw does not neccesarily mean more speed. Its all about using specific mechanics to make the most out of that limited windup motion; just as we see with punching strikes in boxing or mma

Yeah but a large range of motion as windup to throw does not neccesarily mean more speed. Its all about using specific mechanics to make the most out of that limited windup motion; just as we see with punching strikes in boxing or mma
Yes this range of motion is what I obviously was referring to when I say "windup". Windup to a proper throw involves a lot of muscles from the shoulders to twisting the hips and turning your weight into it. This range of motion/windup generated more force than a simple spear thrust in a melee (which involves several muscles but not to the extent of putting all of your power into a single point of release). The difference between a spear throw and a spear thrust is that work can be applied to the spear in the horizontal direction after contact with a target with a spear thrust, yet work cannot be applied in the horizontal direction to a spear throw after release. This being said, the initial point of collision with a spear throw will generally have more force(energy) conserved than the point of collision of a spear thrust.

As i mentioned earlier, the Ash Throwing Spear has the downside of being attached to a unit where dying is severely punishing and the only other option Sturgia has for killing horses is the much more expensive Varyag.

Yes this range of motion is what I obviously was referring to when I say "windup". Windup to a proper throw involves a lot of muscles from the shoulders to twisting the hips and turning your weight into it. This range of motion/windup generated more force than a simple spear thrust in a melee (which involves several muscles but not to the extent of putting all of your power into a single point of release). The difference between a spear throw and a spear thrust is that work can be applied to the spear in the horizontal direction after contact with a target with a spear thrust, yet work cannot be applied in the horizontal direction to a spear throw after release. This being said, the initial point of collision with a spear throw will generally have more force(energy) conserved than the point of collision of a spear thrust.
Agreed. But TW wont be able to do this. They cant even launch an update properly.

As i mentioned earlier, the Ash Throwing Spear has the downside of being attached to a unit where dying is severely punishing and the only other option Sturgia has for killing horses is the much more expensive Varyag.
That class itself should be balanced in that case. The Ash Throwing Spear is one perk and makes it sort of the only viable pick for that class, which throws the entire point of the perk system out the window. Of course if the throwing spear is nerfed, the class should be reworked to keep it viable.

The point of this thread is about the melee damage of the throwing weapons though. They should not be the same strength, let alone stronger, than the melee-designed spears. It seems like such an obvious oversight from the developers.

That class itself should be balanced in that case. The Ash Throwing Spear is one perk and makes it sort of the only viable pick for that class, which throws the entire point of the perk system out the window. Of course if the throwing spear is nerfed, the class should be reworked to keep it viable.

The point of this thread is about the melee damage of the throwing weapons though. They should not be the same strength, let alone stronger, than the melee-designed spears. It seems like such an obvious oversight from the developers.
And i'm saying that the Ash Throwing Spear has license to be stupidly powerful because if you die as a Brigand, you're better off leaving the server due to being forced to play the worst peasant unit in the game.

There's a reason why the Menavlions took way too long to get nerfed and it's because you never want to die as a Menavlion Infantry.

If you want the Ash Throwing Spear to get nerfed, you should instead be asking for Sturgian Warrior buffs. Of course, that won't ever happen because TaleWorlds wants Sturgia to be the worst faction in the game and chances are, they'll probably nerf the throwing spear anyways just cuz the Brigand actually gives his faction some semblance of playability

And i'm saying that the Ash Throwing Spear has license to be stupidly powerful because if you die as a Brigand, you're better off leaving the server due to being forced to play the worst peasant unit in the game.

There's a reason why the Menavlions took way too long to get nerfed and it's because you never want to die as a Menavlion Infantry.

If you want the Ash Throwing Spear to get nerfed, you should instead be asking for Sturgian Warrior buffs. Of course, that won't ever happen because TaleWorlds wants Sturgia to be the worst faction in the game and chances are, they'll probably nerf the throwing spear anyways just cuz the Brigand actually gives his faction some semblance of playability
Sturgia needs an entire re-work as a faction if you ask me. I've always found it the weakest, though some people swear by it for skirmish and Captain. I can understand where you're coming from in that regard, but I don't think any of the balance should rely on overpowered, broken weapons to make up for the factions short-comings.

Anyway, most of the throwing spears power comes from the fact that it can be thrown and is nearly a one-shot on most troops. That's an entire different discussion, but there's no way that it should be more effective in melee combat than other spears designed specifically for that purpose. It makes me think that TW don't have full control on deciding the stats for their weapons.

Back
Top Bottom