+Previous+ Old Thread - Closed

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
skyssoldier said:
So I guess this could be used on almost every game mode? Most popular ones are Battle and Siege but TDM or even CTF could force clans to think/act differently. I like where this is going, this could actually influence some European clans to stop playing Battle all the time.

Yep -
and so far we have just Battle, Siege, and TDM built into the rules. We're currently looking at the possibility of Conquest (for capturing territory that doesn't have a castle/ city attached) but I can't really come up with a justification for CTF. Definitely open to ideas on that front though (I really enjoy CTF but nobody seems to play it).

Well, I guess CTF is a bit silly when you actually want to kill your enemies. We could do it like an event- like a tournament being held in a city, with training horses and weapons. Just for fun! :grin:
Oh and some sort of reward for the winner?

Laszlo said:
peers said:
Don't underestimate the hassle of putting EU against NA, just sayin'.
I was wondering what sort of pings do you see when you get EU vs. NA encounters?
Typically 100-140ish I think, but probably much higher if it's people from the west coast of US vs eastern europeans.

[M] said:
Laszlo said:
peers said:
Don't underestimate the hassle of putting EU against NA, just sayin'.
I was wondering what sort of pings do you see when you get EU vs. NA encounters?
Typically 100-140ish I think, but probably much higher if it's people from the west coast of US vs eastern europeans.
I score about 180 on west coast servers, the best way to do it if it's West clans vs EU clans if to have it done on a very Eastern server...

Slytacular said:
I would like to use my maps for this event, if possible.

Absolutely!

I'm going to update the first post with map info/ how to submit maps as well as server info before the weekend. (I'm kinda doing all of this in stages because it is an awful lot of stuff to cover at once. )

I like the balance system you came up with about the number of guys in an army, but an army of 8 vs. 15, the 8 guys just have to kill 9 enemies a round to win.  Sounds like a good balance and I like the overall way the campaign with the armies on the map will work.

As for the ping difference between NA and EU, luckily DoF has an ever growing EU regiment!  :grin:

Alright, I just received PTK's lore overview in a PM, so here it is:  :grin:

Posted on behalf of Master Unicorn (PTK):

For the first time since the reign of the Emperors, one man ruled Caladria.  This man was King Harlus the Great.  He was a just ruler and popular with the masses.  Through the fierce loyalty of her people and the military brilliance of her king, Swadia was expanded until she contained the entire known world.  This mighty empire endured for many generations, that is, until the reign of King Harlus the Mad.  The king was overly fond of his pleasures, be they his drinks, his parties, or his women.  For a certainty, he lacked the political aptitude to keep a kingdom together and had accrued monetary debt with many of the high lords.  It was at a time when rebellion seemed almost certain that Logan Imperium was appointed the Chancellor of the Realm to speak with the king’s voice and act with his authority.  The chancellor was the younger brother of Kenneth Imperium, one of the mighty dukes with a diminishing patience for the folly of the mad king.  Over the years that followed this appointment, the kingdom was re-stabilized to a certain degree.  Debts were repaid and the majority of the nobility were content to remain if not loyal then at least willing subjects of Swadia.  The kingdom may have indeed survived to be destroyed by the king’s son, if not for Duke Decimus.  Whether the duke was acting out of a sense of riotousness or ambition is not and may never be clear.  What is clear is the result of his actions, war in Caladria. 
    Duke Decimus conspired to kill the king and the royal family.  In order for his plan to succeed, however, he needed the support of Commander Beowulf of the Kingsgaurd.  The Kingsgaurd were an elite fighting force that served as the personal army and protectors of the king.  More to the point, they were the only soldiers allowed inside Harlusburg, capital of the realm.  The king was killed in his own throne room by the Kingsgaurd, who have been lovingly christened by the common folk the Punishers of the Turncoat King.  Once he received word of the king’s demise, Duke Decimus marched his forces into Harlusburg.  The former Kingsgaurd made no attempt to stop him as he entered the city, nor did they as he secured the keep and palace complex.  This put the city in an uproar.  Panic was spreading as rumors flew concerning the fate of the king, his family, and foreign troops entering the city.  When riots were starting to breakout in some of the lower city districts, the chancellor emerged from the keep to put their fears to rest.  He informed them of the death of the Mad King at the hands of the Kingsgaurd and the regrettable loss of his family.  He then informed the people that Duke Decimus was there at his request to help ensure a smooth transition of power.  He also announced who would fill the office of regent until such a time as a kingsmeet were convened and a new king chosen.  The popular Master Unicorn had been appointed regent.  He was owner of an expansive trade network and master of ceremonies at the games and tournaments held in Harlusburg.  Beloved of both the common and the highborn Master Unicorn was uniquely suited for the office of regent.  Along with his appointment to office he was granted lordship with the sigil of his house to be a unicorn in honor of his stage name.  Despite the relatively smooth transition of power in Harlusburg, things did not turn out quite so well in other duchies. 
    Many resented the appointment of a regent and believed that they should be king through one claim or another.  Within a matter of days, all the duchies save that of Duke Decimus were in open rebellion.  Surrounded by traitors on all sides the regent made Commander Beowulf lord of many strategically important castles to make use of his military skill and highly trained forces, which would come to better use on the vastly shrunken borders of Swadia than sitting in the heart of her territory.  In light of the uprising, Master Unicorn moved his seat to a heavily fortified castle overlooking Harlusburg to preemptively forestall any assassination plots.
    And so it began…
Excerpt from “The Chronicles of the Realm”, Commissioned by the chancellor, Logan Imperium, under the Lord Regent Unicorn, in the reign of no king.

Map I would like to use for the Campaign-

109610534-4.jpg

Castle Jukenburga
mb6.jpg

Castle Vietonarf

These are old and out of date pictures, but I will post recent ones in the future (I'm on vacation). Unless one of my GK buddies will help me take pictures, which I highly doubt.

Seems like a lot of fun. I can donate a map too, it's still played on GK Siege server, I believe:
mb1s.jpg

EDIT: I'll be away the first two weeks of the tourney so I won't freelance in any case.

KissMyAxe said:
Also, if Balion doesn't participate, I'll sign up as a freelancer.
We'll be in, just waiting on rules.  Great work Kenneth.  Excellent from what I've seen so far.  I especially like the Siege switch to TDM.  Good idea.  Plus the Battle balancing is very creative and I forsee it working out well. 
Probably need a pause between maps to figure out the how many troops you can get and decide on a strategy, which could cause a problem on Random Plains without a "working" reset map feature as the map will continually change.  ...just thinking outloud.

Mad Dawg said:
KissMyAxe said:
Also, if Balion doesn't participate, I'll sign up as a freelancer.
We'll be in, just waiting on rules.  Great work Kenneth.  Excellent from what I've seen so far.  I especially like the Siege switch to TDM.  Good idea.  Plus the Battle balancing is very creative and I forsee it working out well. 
Probably need a pause between maps to figure out the how many troops you can get and decide on a strategy, which could cause a problem on Random Plains without a "working" reset map feature as the map will continually change.  ...just thinking outloud.
Or, since it'll have limited "squares" or "places" to go someone can make scenes of open fields but according to the terrain in the main map. Because, you know, if you're on a hill "square" a hill must be in the middle of the scene or in one side, not millions of them.

KissMyAxe said:
Seems like a lot of fun. I can donate a map too, it's still played on GK Siege server, I believe:
mb1s.jpg

Great, thanks! I'll be updating the first post later today with info about how to submit maps. :smile:

Duke_Kenneth said:
YES! YES! YES! We are requesting all custom scenes that the clans are willing to let us use, particularly siege and battle scenes. We will be posting more details regarding custom scenes shortly. Clans submitting siege scenes will get to have first selection when it comes to assigning starting castles.
One concern regarding custom maps is that clans might be tempted to submit maps of, e.g., castles that are very hard to take and then use the above rule to select them as their starting property. How is this going to be addressed? I'm not saying that submitting maps should not be rewarded -- it should be -- but, maybe, there is another way?

Slytacular said:
Are we in need for village scenes? If you guys want, I'll help make open plains maps.

Yes and thanks. More info coming tonight. (waiting on the final revision) :smile:

Mandorallin said:
KissMyAxe said:
One concern regarding custom maps is that clans might be tempted to submit maps of, e.g., castles that are very hard to take and then use the above rule to select them as their starting property. How is this going to be addressed? I'm not saying that submitting maps should not be rewarded -- it should be -- but, maybe, there is another way?

I'd assume that the campaign admins will go over all the submissions and come to an agreement as to whether or not a map will be accepted and used in the campaign.  To blindly accept any or all submissions is pretty irresponsible and can jeopardize the flow of the campaign, which I would believe is being structured for as much level-play as can be found.

Yes, one of the first tasks of the campaign admins and mods will be evaluating and bug-testing all the custom maps. The castles don't have to be "balanced" in the traditional sense but they have to be reasonable (more info coming when I post about custom maps).

HOM_Retribution said:
Name of Clan: Hoplites of Macidonia
In-game Tag: HoM
Contact Person & Means of Contact: HOM_Retribution TW Forums; steam: "nateboy"
Approx. Number of Players: 8
Nation Type: Conquering Military
Faction: Sarranid Sultanate
Recruiting: Yes
Clan Thread & Website: N/A
Lore Overview: From the ashes of PTK a few strong cavalry arose going in its own direction using Alexander the Greats model as a command structure. Recruiting only elite infantry and a few cavalry trained and prepared to exhibit there battle prowess against the powerhouses of the Warband community.

Great! I'll add you to the listing now. I'm not quite sure you understood what we were looking for with a lore overview, but don't worry about it now - it's not required to pre-register.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom