Philosophy/Theory Thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

For all your greatest ponderings that exhort yourself when seated upon the cool ceramic throne of thy bathroom and clearing your bowels.

Jet fuel can't melt steel beams. Global warming, it's a pretty serious thing, a surprisingly large amount of people are against doing something about it, yet why would you leave something like that to chance? But I have no idea weather :shifty: It's real or not, but the concept is rather concerning. :ohdear:

Archonsod said:
Taleworlds Forum Rules

2) Guidelines for posting

Topics
...In addition, when starting a thread that requires an opinion, ensure your post actually contributes. The first post in a thread about Melee vs Ranged weapons should give your own view about this, rather than being an empty post with no information or opinion for others to act upon.

One thing that's bugged me since I was about 7: Why am I me? Why did this one consciousness I'm aware of decide to exist in this body?

I used to be scared of mentioning this because I was afraid acknowledging it would cause the billions of robots that comprise the rest of humanity to turn on me and rip me to shreds for ruining the simulation.

I don't recall who, but some woman once theorized that depression and other disorders are caused by being unable to do what a human is designed to do, just as any other animal will be unhappy if it can't do its thing. Can't say how right she is about that, but I like the idea.

Urgrevling said:
I don't recall who, but some woman once theorized that depression and other disorders are caused by being unable to do what a human is designed to do, just as any other animal will be unhappy if it can't do its thing. Can't say how right she is about that, but I like the idea.
What is a human designed to do? Copulate and eat? Imagine a human in an extremely fertile land with willing mates. Would he get depressed in the end if nothing changed?

Biology and evolution is sometimes used to explain all kinds of social phenomena,
even though there's no exact causality. It's become an umbrella theory to explain various human behaviour.

Urgrevling said:
... what a human is designed to do
What design? Some people trade stocks, play golf and collect stamps, and are perfectly happy.

The one thing that always gets me and has bugged me every now and then is how / why there's an existence at all. Like no matter how you see reality whether its one universe or twenty thousand of them or whatever, why is it there in the first place? I can get on board with myself and humanity not existing but whenever I think of existence entirely not existing I end up in this looping train of thought of confusion.

jacobhinds said:
There are plenty of depressed hunter-gatherers. I've always imagined depression to be triggered or emphasized by excessive free time and introspection, which slows you down and prevents you from feeling good for working on/completing things.
crodio said:
Urgrevling said:
What is a human designed to do? Copulate and eat? Imagine a human in an extremely fertile land with willing mates. Would he get depressed in the end if nothing changed?
Adorno said:
Biology and evolution is sometimes used to explain all kinds of social phenomena,
even though there's no exact causality. It's become an umbrella theory to explain various human behaviour.
Urgrevling said:
... what a human is designed to do
What design? Some people trade stocks, play golf and collect stamps, and are perfectly happy.

Ok, "design" was clearly the wrong word. Maybe the kind of lifestyle humans evolved to handle would be better. I see a certain beauty in the theory is all, I'm not prepared to argue its scientific merit.  :razz:

Pixel said:
The one thing that always gets me and has bugged me every now and then is how / why there's an existence at all.

The simple answer to that is that zero is not a number. Non-existence is just as impossible as "negative" existence or "square root of minus one" existence or any other fake numbers we've invented. Even the total vacuum of space is under extreme tension and can create/effect matter, so it's not like you could create a nonexistence by getting rid of all the stars and planets and gas clouds.

There's a really good example of this "zero fallacy" some theologian used that I can't quite remember. It was probably food-related.

jacobhinds said:
The simple answer to that is that zero is not a number. Non-existence is just as impossible as "negative" existence or "square root of minus one" existence or any other fake numbers we've invented. Even the total vacuum of space is under extreme tension and can create/effect matter, so it's not like you could create a nonexistence by getting rid of all the stars and planets and gas clouds.

There's a really good example of this "zero fallacy" some theologian used that I can't quite remember. It was probably food-related.
Cool, would that support that space is infinite?

One thing I've idly been thinking about since I finished reading a basic overview of the history of western philosophy, is the perception that causality doesn't allow for free will. Mostly I just don't grasp what kind of definition of free will would causal determinism even interfere with. To be basic about it, if there is only one conclusion/choice a human could arrive at, could that not simply be in the first place affected by their free will? Or is there some kind of assumption here that free will demands the ability to arrive at multiple different conclusions? I guess it looks kind of paradoxical for 'free' will to be determined by anything, causality or otherwise, but as far as I'm concerned there is no problem there as long as it's not pre-determined.

Of course, I could just go and google what everyone else has already figured to be the case in regards to that bog standard question, but it's more fun thinking on it by myself.

Back
Top Bottom