Natural Selection 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Revilo

Grandmaster Knight
So, it started out as a Half-life Mod and has gradually progressed from there into a stand-alone retail game. "Natural Selection 2", (and I quote this from the website) "is an immersive, online FPS that pits aliens against humans in a strategic and action-packed struggle for survival."

Teaser and Official Website:
http://www.naturalselection2.com/

Screenies!
NS2_skulk_vent_800x500.jpg
NS2_marine_hallway_800x500.jpg

It's still in development, scheduled for release in early next year (I think).

Views? Comments?

I've already pre-ordered mine, it looks awesome and well worth it, alot like M&B actually

I was a big fan of the original NS and have been watching this project pretty closely. I'll almost definitely get it, but I don't think I'll be preordering any time soon... the fact that they have a special edition option promising alpha access hints at the beta still being a ways off in the future, so I don't see any reason to rush in when I can hang back and wait for more information.

Still, I'm quite excited about the whole thing. Anyone who's at all interested and owns Half-Life should get the first NS and give it a spin, see what it's all about.

I doubt my comp can handle that :S
I spent a lot of hours with NS, but they should fix some stuff. High speed aliens are not a good idea playing online, 50 ping and despite in your screen you see the alien being hit that isn't really happening. Plus those damn bind keys that allow them to use jump-autoheal-attack non-stop.

I remember the server went down in a game after building a ton of sentry guns, too much for the game  :lol:

Ha, I knew it. They couldn't resist the money.

Regardless, I hope they iron out the bugs and it'd be worth a bit of cash.

Mostly, NS lacked optimization. As the above poster said, too many buildings caused engine lag if not an out-right crash.

Admittedly, I haven't played the first game, though the screenies I'm seeing of the sequel look awesome. One of my many gamer cousins probably has the first one, so I might give it a try one of these days...

Danath said:
High speed aliens are not a good idea playing online, 50 ping and despite in your screen you see the alien being hit that isn't really happening.

AvP2 has high speed aliens and they're fantastic. I think in NS they might have had problems because the HL engine wasn't anywhere near perfect for that sort of thing. Now that they're working with their own engine they should be able to do a lot better.

Yeah, they did that quite a while ago. I almost said something when you implied they were selling out, but I guess you haven't really been following the development. :razz:

Danath said:
I doubt my comp can handle that :S
System Requirements:

1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, mouse, keyboard and an internet connection.

Dunno if these are subject to change, and obviously this is minimum rather than recommended, but they have said that they want to support low-end users.

I loved the original, before they added in the more arcadey, deathmatch-style gameplay mode.

Played it for a good year or two probably.

Austupaio said:
Developing their own engine? They ditched Source?

Wow, I'm really impressed now.
Thank ****ing God. I had my doubts, but now I'm almost certainly going for this.

I never understood why the skulk has a camera in its mouth.

I don't trust in "minimum requirements" nowadays. That usually means you will get 20 fps if you are the only player in the map and there is no smoke/explosions you could make with a grenade launcher :lol:

Austupaio said:
Regardless, I hope they iron out the bugs and it'd be worth a bit of cash.

Iron out the bugs? But then who'd be left to fight? Just the Humans?!

Anyway, them screenies look Dayum sweet. I want me a piece of that game.

Looking forward to my all-black armour as a marine. Yay for pre-orders! Also, the money they have already got from pre-orders has helped them keep several features such as Dynamic Infestation. Damn that **** looks sick!

Danath said:
I don't trust in "minimum requirements" nowadays. That usually means you will get 20 fps if you are the only player in the map and there is no smoke/explosions you could make with a grenade launcher :lol:

Yeah, but as minimum requirements go, those are pretty low, so chances are that'll reflect on the recommended hardware as well.

CrazyEyes said:
I never understood why the skulk has a camera in its mouth.

For the same reason as AvP2 has the camera in the alien's mouth -- so you can see your jaws clamp down on the soft flesh of your enemies.

Seriously, where else would you put it? You want to have the snout jutting out there, taking up the bottom of the screen?

Revilo said:
Looking forward to my all-black armour as a marine. Yay for pre-orders! Also, the money they have already got from pre-orders has helped them keep several features such as Dynamic Infestation. Damn that **** looks sick!

Yeah, reading that post actually made me reconsider my stance on preordering. Might get it early just to show support and help them along, singe I've pretty much decided to get it already and it seems pretty certain now that they're going to deliver.

I believe it is because it has a set of eyes in its mouth. duh.

Anyways, this looks pretty coolio.

Just been checking out the forums, seems to be quite a heated discussion between whether recoil and/or iron sights would ruin the game and detract from the 'Natural Selection' feel, or whether it'll make it more realistic. Have to say that my view is that for a game that's that fast paced iron sights would be a bad idea

As long as I don't get raped by some alien thing that is bouncing about the room too fast to reliably track with a gun then I will probably get this game.

Back
Top Bottom