Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
jacobhinds said:
There's nothing wrong with features per se but there is a problem when a developer half-heartedly implements a lot of them without fleshing them out or connecting them to other features. Every time taleworlds unveils a new slew of mechanics I do get a little bit worried.

Has there been anything unveiled so far that doesn't look like it'll work?

Taleworlds obviouslly isn't going to show things that don't work, but even recently they've added more bugs into warband with patches and failed to fix some basic design flaws (khergits don't fight properly in sieges due to a single misplaced stat, starving out enemies in sieges is impossible, broken source code release after viking conquest due to a nonsensical typo).

There are hundreds more minor issues which would take days to explain, but were mostly fixed in the Diplomacy mod. Needless to say I'm cautious about expecting every feature to function as intended even if they have 20 patches, and I'm cautious about expecting the game to be absent of garing design flaws.

If I go by the example of warband which was in development from c.2004 all the way to 2015, bannerlord is going to be quite unpolished.

jacobhinds said:
Taleworlds obviouslly isn't going to show things that don't work, but even recently they've added more bugs into warband with patches and failed to fix some basic design flaws (khergits don't fight properly in sieges due to a single misplaced stat, starving out enemies in sieges is impossible, broken source code release after viking conquest due to a nonsensical typo).

There are hundreds more minor issues which would take days to explain, but were mostly fixed in the Diplomacy mod. Needless to say I'm cautious about expecting every feature to function as intended even if they have 20 patches, and I'm cautious about expecting the game to be absent of garing design flaws.

If I go by the example of warband which was in development from c.2004 all the way to 2015, bannerlord is going to be quite unpolished.
Don't go by that example, they a larger team than they were then. I personally haven't experienced any bugs in the current warband version

Dest45 said:
Don't go by that example, they a larger team than they were then. I personally haven't experienced any bugs in the current warband version

As a game studio and publisher they don't have the best history, but we can hope they learned along the way  :razz:

Just don't expect a perfect game on day 1. Look at all new games from the last 5 years. Its easier to assume it will take 6-12 months of patchs to get to a stable version. Control the hype, enjoy the game for what it is (with the good and the bad) and stick around to see it get better over time

jacobhinds said:

Warband was almost finished in 2009 and was fully released in 2010, after that there were only small changes. Plus, it was developed in the beginning by Armagan and his wife, who later put together a team of around 9 devs. Bannerlord has more than 40 developers, and I don't think they'll disappoint us knowing that the original developers are leading the way.

jacobhinds said:
There's nothing wrong with features per se but there is a problem when a developer half-heartedly implements a lot of them without fleshing them out or connecting them to other features. Every time taleworlds unveils a new slew of mechanics I do get a little bit worried.

What do you mean, Every time taleworlds unveils a new slew of mechanics I do get a little bit worried?

They only have shown a few core features. Some of those might be new like sallieing out, but we have no evidence that they are poorly done.

Most of the 'features' are rumours this forum have come up with, or made fact. Like the lords dying and you can have children who will carry on the legacy of your name. And ofcourse the co-op.
Just because TaleWorlds said they are thinking about it or looking into it, doesn't mean the feature is in or has a chance. Considering the devs have said very little about it, then again they don't share much at all. I doubt we can better hold off on any further discussion on vague or non-announced features/systems.

People on YouTube are picking these things up and are making 'amazing' video's saying basically nothing other then; coop might be in, here are some examples of how it might work. Then people who watch those video's are expecting coop to be in, because look at no man sky. People expected a lot more. (Party also the devs fault.)

Don't over hype the game and let it die the first week it is out.

Nobody is overhyping the game and no mans sky wansnt overhyped they blatantly lied. Coop is something that may or may not be in bannerlord. Nobody is expecting it but we are all happy about the prospect. Some people are getting carried away with the whole dynasty thing which we have heard next to nothing about but thats about it. We all know what M&B is.

jackalj said:
They only have shown a few core features.

Didn't think board games were that much of a core feature  :lol:

But I believe the children thing is something that is likely to happen, In blog 12 they mention

the yearly cycle has been shortened to twelve weeks

Which means that time will be progressing much quicker than before

and character aging was said to be done in a future blog, so more to come  :party: :party:

I just hope ageing won't be too quick... I love getting involved in a character, a specific one, and seeing him getting old and not beeing able to play him anymore will really shut me down. I had the same problem when they talked about death in Star Citizen

Kehlian said:
I just hope ageing won't be too quick... I love getting involved in a character, a specific one, and seeing him getting old and not beeing able to play him anymore will really shut me down. I had the same problem when they talked about death in Star Citizen

I dont remember them talking about aging in Star Citizen... but that didnt bothered me nevertheless.

Kehlian said:

I don't think that will be a problem. A year in Bannerlord is 84 days long, so if your character can die you will still be playing with them for a long time before they kick the bucket. The longest game of Warband that I've ever played was about two years long- that would only be nine years in Bannerlord. The point is, it is a long time to play the game, so your character won't be dying of old age after a few real life days of playing.

To illustrate this, imagine your character began the game as a 20 year old, and that you either died of old age or retired at the age of 50. You would have 30 years of play- 30x84=2520 days of play. 2520/365=6.9 normal/Warband years. How many people have ever played a single game of Warband for seven in-game years? Surely not more than 1% of players would ever bother; for those that seek to conquer the whole map, they would probably manage it in less than half that time, and the game can get very monotonous (and frustrating due to AI failings and inadequate features; e.g. starving out a besieged enemy is unfeasible) long before then.

Kehlian said:

Honestly, that kind of thing is a really fulfilling emotional experience. Theres a choose your own adeventure game , Lords of Aswick, which is just a masterpiece and if you are unlucky enough to survive long enough to grow old you get to watch your character whither away, its so sad but you think of the accomplishments and legacy that you leave behind.

All stories got to end at some point.

I've thrown so many virgins into the void that the void dwellers have come through to see whast going on

We don't really need diacritics here, so keep them out. //Alene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom