Is it possible to modify the BOT AI routines with the source that was released?

Users who are viewing this thread

tek4life

Recruit
In the old days there was a mod for Quake2 called "Eraser Bot" that was capable of dynamically learning maps, customizing each bot's "personality", accuracy, etc.

Eraserbot review (Ancient Google Cache link): 
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ME9gMnQKKJ8J:botepidemic.no-origin.net/reviews/ebrev.shtml.htm+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Is something like that possible with the code that was released? My searches for modding so far haven't turned up anything AI related except complaints about the battle mode bots. I have a feeling that this is a core game feature that can't be modified by users, but can a dev confirm this?

Thanks for your time

You are still limited to the Module System possibilities. You can do some stuff, but dont expect too much. Look into the Forge, particulary motomaru formations and CabaDrin PBoD to see some examples of altering agent movements.

So.... I dont know what do you mean about dynamically learning maps, but you are limited to AI Mesh AFAIK. You can change accuracy by altering their skill with a weapon.

Thanks for the reply Leberecht Reinhold, those should give me a good starting point and the weapon skill solves one problem already, lol.

As far as dynamic learning on maps without the AIMesh, I am picturing the bots acting like one of those old motorized toy cars, back up a bit, turn a little, try moving forward again, jumping every other try, etc. Keeping track of "Unsafe coordinates" (damaged or died from environment, or stuck a long time no matter which way the bot turns and jumps, crouches, runs) are added to a black list array of sorts that is shared with all bots while the map is running so work isn't repeated by other bots once a bot has found a hazard.

Ultimately, I'd like the bots to explore the map independently, be able to navigate their environment much better (especially interiors) and not know where you are until they actually "see" you (taking obstacles like trees, crates, wheat, etc into account). I'll look at those mods you suggested and see if I can figure out what they are doing and how they are doing it.

Thanks again

it's possible, but not for 200 bots I geuss. I myself only modified a single bot once, to make him randomly throw in a feint.

But you can't easily make him jump, kick or crouch I geuss.

Thanks MaHuD

Any chance you can remember the name of the routine you modified to alter the bot to include a feint? I assume it was in Warband Native or one of the other games, but maybe I can use it to help track down something similar in the NW code?

This may help you; this is what I replied to someone asking me how I did it one year ago;

http://beta.xfire.com/video/4a2410/ said:
Hey, I am using the module system.
If you check the new tutorial that the devs have created for Warband (in the mission_templates) you can see the operations that I am mainly using in practice.
The following is from header_operations and shows a few that I used.

agent_set_attack_action = 1745 # (agent_set_attack_action, <agent_id>, <value>, <value>, #value: 0 = thrust, 1 = slashright, 2 = slashleft, 3 = overswing - second value 0 = ready and release, 1 = ready and hold
agent_set_defend_action = 1746 # (agent_set_defend_action, <agent_id>, <value>, <duration-in-1/1000-seconds>, #value_1: 0 = defend_down, 1 = defend_right, 2 = defend_left, 3 = defend_up

Back
Top Bottom