I think TW is trying to lower the expectation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Edarin

Sergeant
8 years since the announcement. And naturally the expectation has increased a lot, to an impossible level.
So, i think TW are trying to lower the expectation because if they are do that, final version will please everyone.
Of course up to final version, they will lot of content add.
What are you thinking about this subject?

Expectation = what people want and trust me you see some crazy wishlist here...

Reality = what we have now + adding unfinished features coded ingame or missing features they havent put ingame yet but said they will add.

Final result = something in between the two (what they have in mind and player's suggestions). And of course we will have billions of electronic ink flooding the forum in the meantime about how they suck, how they should have done this or that like this because my idea is the best but i have zero experience in game dev and so on...

TW isnt lowering the expectation, TW is delivering what they have in mind for this game, its was (past games) and still is a vision from them, with players input.
All the rest is just some players who are dreaming out loud more than reasonably and fueling vitriolic threads.

Last edited:
To an impossible level? What? A large part of the community including myself have realized the series' potential at least 8 years ago and how it could have been perfected after having learned from previous titles, we could excuse those older titles lacking depth and generally needing some improvement and could comfort ourselves by saying "Surely they're working on custom troop trees, in-depth kingdom management, diplomacy and politics, larger map size, camping and managing settlements, advanced strategies and much more diverse unit classes and they are going to be included in Bannerlord, we need but wait" and here we are, few to none - I repeat, almost none of those much anticipated features and improvements are not even in the game, with no sight of them ever being added because TW refuses to communicate their plans and ideas, even denying us an approximate roadmap. They scrapped the engine. Remade it possibly a few times over, been gathering ideas for a decade while developing the game AND YET THOSE SYSTEMS / MECHANICS ARE STILL NOT THERE. Well okay then it's only the first few days of early access surely after fixing the immediate problems such as bugs and crashes they will once again get in touch with the community. But after a month, patches have halted and there is still little to no communication from TW, I simply feel disappointed and I counted on this game becoming THAT Bannerlord when I bought it even if in EA it was rough around the edges. We have no indication of that, and that's what tortures me.

They will probably go the way of Pre-Fallout 76 Bethesda and hope the mods will save them... I know I'm looking more forward to the mods than the complete game...

this is just baseless speculation what gave you a idea they are trying to lower expectation?

this whole "please everyone" is not a good start point to speculate about that because we havent see a offical response like "yeah we are trying to please everyone" or something along those lines

Last edited:
They will probably go the way of Pre-Fallout 76 Bethesda and hope the mods will save them... I know I'm looking more forward to the mods than the complete game...
This is a somewhat ignorant comment.

the sad truth is vast majority of players who played Warband did so with mods. There is a precedence set already that will customize and improve your game. Just look at some of the things posted in these forums and on reddit. To do one suggestion/demand would require to not implement 5 others.

So anyone wanted “the perfect game” the way they envisioned it was always going to have to go to mods, and the precedent has already been set for that to be the case with Mount and Blade

Hype created from people mind is not a company fault.

They did many things wrong, is a fact, and the lack of communication (that can be solved with few ping post) is something that dont really help.

But I took what I expected, an improved warband with better tools so mods can create incredible worlds.

The only thing I wish is deeper lore, better perfomance, more dialogues, quest, a functional skills tree (that is on progress as callum said) and, one of the most important things, better AI. Any new content from there will be awesome and really appreciated.

I don't think they have much intention to finish half of the game systems currently held together with placeholders and glue code. Well, maybe they have the intention, but it's more of a pie-in-the-sky, 'when I grow up I wanna be an astronaut'-level of intent.

How are they trying to lower expectations?

Where is this coming from?

It's more of a case of people setting their expectations too high in my opinion.

It's more of a case of people setting their expectations too high in my opinion.
Yes indeed, expecting functional sieges we saw in the ''early access'' announcement video might just be too high of an expectation. Its pretty amazing we can actually walk in the game.

Fanbois will be fanbois.

They just jump ahead into conclusions, based on small tidbit news, just make up fantasies about how great things will be, and when reality arrives, somehow feels disappointed and demands an apology.

Is it any wonder movie franchise fanbois and game franchise fanbois are among the most toxic people on the internet? lol

I mean, for me, BL is just about exactly what I've expected, or maybe a little bit less.

I knew TW was still a relatively new company, struggled a lot to get on its feet, saw the fallout with Paradox. I've seen the quality of previous games so I generally know how much to expect in a new title. The long wait was frustrating, but got the news why it took so long, how missteps happened, how they rebuilt a new engine.

So I basically expected a graphically enhanced version of Warband as a core game, and perhaps a little bit more refined or balanced in a few other areas -- and yep. This is the current early-access core game. Just as expected.

...what DID these people expect? A medieval TPS/FPS game that plays like Total War in large bettles, plays like Crusader Kings II in management, with the combat system of Mordhau/For Honor?

Friggin' looneys.

I mean, for me, BL is just about exactly what I've expected, or maybe a little bit less.

I knew TW was still a relatively new company, struggled a lot to get on its feet, saw the fallout with Paradox. I've seen the quality of previous games so I generally know how much to expect in a new title. The long wait was frustrating, but got the news why it took so long, how missteps happened, how they rebuilt a new engine.

So I basically expected a graphically enhanced version of Warband as a core game, and perhaps a little bit more refined or balanced in a few other areas -- and yep. This is the current early-access core game. Just as expected.

...what DID these people expect? A medieval TPS/FPS game that plays like Total War in large bettles, plays like Crusader Kings II in management, with the combat system of Mordhau/For Honor?

Friggin' looneys.

The atmosphere is atrocious, there's nothing to do, it's bland, I expected EA but come on.

8 years since the announcement. And naturally the expectation has increased a lot, to an impossible level.
So, i think TW are trying to lower the expectation because if they are do that, final version will please everyone.
Of course up to final version, they will lot of content add.
What are you thinking about this subject?
That's what you think OP, it's not about the devs it's about a certain small group of very vocal players screaming about their medieval sims/ck2 spinoff game-in-development not becoming what they want it to be.

I don't know about trying to lower expectations. They're probably pretty damn happy right now regardless of the current census on the forum, I mean they sold over 2 million copies that's a massively huge success. I think all the speculation of taleworlds trying to "save face" or whatever is just bs, they've already succeeded lol

Having said that I'm sure if you were to go back a year, hell even a few months and look at what people were expecting from bannerlord's early access and what we actually got, you'd find the game we have now is a lot less than even the most humble of expectations. Part of that is just that people always hype a game much more than it deserves, but the other part is I don't think that anyone expected them to deliver a game that they literally JUST barely slapped together with very simple mechanics in place that hold everything together, when they even work.

I can't speak to what taleworlds will do going forward, they've already got the sales and money to excel and shouldn't be another one of those half baked releases a year from now but who knows. It's completely up to them now. I imagine in a couple months we'll have a better idea, a lot of stuff 'should' be added by then because there's just so many systems to add, let alone adding anything new, just having that "kingdom management" and stuff they talk about already being in the game is going to have to be added in short order given their year-long timeline.

Back
Top Bottom