I just don't get TW priorities.

Users who are viewing this thread

There is absolutely no thought required to determine -- without numbers -- if you should engage an enemy party. Ranged-heavy party. Approach at regular time compression. If the enemy party pursues, you run. If they flee, you engage. Every fight you take will be easy

You'd need for second system of determining power levels because the actual system used in-game for determining party power is, to be completely frank, naive. It likes to pretend mounted units are only worth 20% more than units on foot, when it is probably more like 50% even in bad terrain and up to 500% in some circumstances, i.e. horse archers versus a small party with no ranged weapons.

Ultimately though, I don't even think it will be more fun. Most posters here complain about the process of re-building their party and occasionally how long it takes, how it adds to the grind of the game. Forcing players to do that more often is going to drag down their experience because they have to constantly do the worst part, again and again.
The grind comes because TW decided to add not only a strange mechanic of having notables who are the only ones we can recruit from and who can die or lose power over time so there are less and less to recruit from. Then on top of that we need to curry favor with them and hope that they don't get pissed off at us for things like village raids by the enemy. It's a bad system that needs at least a revamp if not a complete overhaul. TW decided to add complexity without thinking about about the ramifications which seems to be the TW way.

The grind comes because TW decided to add not only a strange mechanic of having notables who are the only ones we can recruit from and who can die or lose power over time so there are less and less to recruit from.

People complain about having to level troops, not getting them. Yours is the first post I've seen complaining it is hard to get troops from notables.

Then on top of that we need to curry favor with them and hope that they don't get pissed off at us for things like village raids by the enemy.

You don't lose rep with village notables when they get raided by the enemy.

People complain about having to level troops, not getting them. Yours is the first post I've seen complaining it is hard to get troops from notables.

You don't lose rep with village notables when they get raided by the enemy.

Perhaps it should be a bit easier to hire some higher level troops.

it would also allow the AI to recover more easily after losing a big fight.

Perhaps it should be a bit easier to hire some higher level troops.

it would also allow the AI to recover more easily after losing a big fight.
You should be able to recruit troops once you own a town.
Its just weird that when i am the King that i have to buy peasant armies from some street gang leader.
I am the Goddamn King, let me train my own troops in my city for a weekly gold price.

You should be able to recruit troops once you own a town.
Its just weird that when i am the King that i have to buy peasant armies from some street gang leader.
I am the Goddamn King, let me train my own troops in my city for a weekly gold price.
I want to also prohibit other factions from recruiting form my fiefs.
It especially makes me mad that I can take over all the khuzait land and they still just trot around getting nomads anyways. I don't want to wipe them out but I don't want them having their troops, they should have to go recruit crappy troops from other fiefs.
Only factions who I want to let recruit in my land should be able to.
But that's just another thing in a long list of problems in the category of "nothing the player does matters or is satisfying". Anything short of killing or completely de-feifing a faction doesn't mean :poop: . Even landless they still manage to be annoying because of cheat troops and cheat gold.

I want to also prohibit other factions from recruiting form my fiefs.
It especially makes me mad that I can take over all the khuzait land and they still just trot around getting nomads anyways. I don't want to wipe them out but I don't want them having their troops, they should have to go recruit crappy troops from other fiefs.
Only factions who I want to let recruit in my land should be able to.
But that's just another thing in a long list of problems in the category of "nothing the player does matters or is satisfying". Anything short of killing or completely de-feifing a faction doesn't mean :poop: . Even landless they still manage to be annoying because of cheat troops and cheat gold.
Personally I feel like Towns & Castles should be the source of noble troops and villages the regular troops. Towns could still be a source of regular troops that anyone can get too. The only ones who can recruit from your town/castle are your clan and anyone (friends?) you give permission to. The same should apply to lord's fiefs. It would make having castles and towns much more desirable and a give a real reason to making friends with other lords.

Personally I feel like Towns & Castles should be the source of noble troops and villages the regular troops. Towns could still be a source of regular troops that anyone can get too. The only ones who can recruit from your town/castle are your clan and anyone (friends?) you give permission to. The same should apply to lord's fiefs. It would make having castles and towns much more desirable and a give a real reason to making friends with other lords.

Yep, this will have to be modded, noble trained troops don't come from farming villages, the come from training grounds at cities or castles.

Nice idea!
Yep, this will have to be modded, noble trained troops don't come from farming villages, the come from training grounds at cities or castles.
Which mod could make it?

This is a great idea and would give a new meaning to owning a castle in this game

These recruiting gripes are suspect of just being general frustration as they lack a lot of substance.

Notables do die, but new ones also pop up. I don’t know the exact details of what determines when and where the new notables pop up, but I’ve swung through towns that had one notable, and the next time I passed they had three. Yes, there had to be things done to increase rep with the new guys, but this is a fluid world: nothing wrong with the core of the feature.

When you are starting out, there aren’t very many bodies you can hire. No one knows you. The notables are just acting as contacts in the local area who can steer you towards the available bodies.

Old school “go to the tavern and find bodies” exists in game.

Once I join a faction, there is a higher willingness to point me in the direction of available bodies from that town as we are fighting in the name of that faction. Their better leads, they still reserve for more deserving Lords. Other towns run by other kingdoms don’t all of a sudden start to give me more troops more easily unless I’ve worked with them. So we’re already seeing that it is a combination of faction affiliation and individual contact value.

When at war with a faction, it’s harder to find bodies willing to fight for you, and the local contact that you know are still only going to risk so much by pointing you to willing bodies. The better you know that contact, the more their willing to give you names to find.

If I really work on having good relations with my towns I control as Lord, they are willing to hand over every good able body that they know from the area. I can also lend my companions and men to these notables to help with issues as I’m marauding around the country side myself. I can do this for contacts in enemy territories and ally territories alike, to point where they all extremely willing to find bodies willing to aid my cause. Saving peasants from looters and bandits does not go unnoticed either, and word can spread through that town to where extra hands can join onto my war effort.

If I’ve done a good enough job, and my subjects love me/that town loves me, even after losing control of the local keep, and being at war with the current owners, that town will still be willing to supply bodies for me to re-occupy the region. Many dislodged Lords have reacquired their lands on the backs of the local whose loyalties are still lie with them.

Nothing is outrightly ridiculous in the games current system. The streamlined way it’s presented has a grounded, reasonable system attached to it. There may be levers and knobs that could be adjusted, AI lords not have their relationships initially set so high everywhere, and/or easier ways for a controlling Clan to mass increase reputation with all the notables in that region. But I see no “realism” clashes with Enemy Lords who used to own your lands mustering armies from them, in particular since you can also do that same thing If caught in the same situation. You may make the laws, but you don’t control the will of the people.

Back
Top Bottom