History Dark Ages: know who they were and how they lived

Currently Viewing (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Adorno

Bedroom Assassin
Duke
WBNWM&BVC
Best answers
You're spoiling us with excellent artwork  :smile:

The map of the world in the Viking Age is particularly interesting.
From Vinland to what might be Iran, or even further east.

Best answers
Very beautiful and well done mod.I play now as Hindefuns the Angle, but in future i want restart a Briton like I did the first time I played.

Maybe if i have a little complaint, i liked to see in the races also Roman-Britons stock. When I play I dislike to be all Briton or all Roman, historically the 2 races bred and mixed into Roman-Britons: for now i solve all doin' a tall Roman (I assume that dad was a Briton and mom Roman or vice versa, then the son has taken strenght by Roman and tallness from Britons) or a strong Briton with a romanized name and manners.

May I live longer to see Roman-Britons came into this marvelous, epic mod? Hope so.

ronamjack

Veteran
Best answers
matmohair1 said:
That sword is very 'Arming Sword'-y for a viking, it seems to me.  If it's realistic though, it shows how much swords in Northern Europe changed between Brytenwalda's time period and 1066

If we're sticking with 1066, this painting is just awesome.

DerHerbst

Knight
Best answers
matmohair1 said:
Can you source any of those images?  Did you find them online or do you own books?  I'd like to aquire whatever books they may be from.  I own almost all of the Osprey books covering the late-Roman to Norman Age but I don't recognize any of those beautiful illustrations.  Thanks!

Best answers
Seven of the last images are from the Norwegian book "Vikinger I Krig"
I've got it myself. Great book, but I fear it does not have an English translation yet.

Edit:
I found a few illustrations from the same guy. Anders Kvåle Rue is his name.

DerHerbst

Knight
Best answers
Oh thanks for the info!  Not only is the book unavailable in English, the Amazon website doesn't even carry it!  I'll have to search it out online.  I will also look for the Anders Kvale Rue images online.  If you know of any more books depicting warriors from 400-1000AD, feel free to post some titles.  I can't get enough of this stuff!

matmohair1

Marquis
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
visored, boar helmet with tusks and a bird crest.
Valsgarde helmet plates, Sweden - 8th Century

gdwitt

Knight at Arms
Best answers
Very cool. Keep up the posts. Many people are watching this forum even if they don't post.

matmohair1

Marquis
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Best answers
gdwitt said:
Very cool. Keep up the posts. Many people are watching this forum even if they don't post.
:wink: Vikings at War -  2016

Plates

Archers

Warrior serving king Gudrød, 810

Norwegian viking, 830

Viking from Mid-Norway, 850 - 890

The Ballateare man, Isle of Man, 900 - 950

Rus, Volga river, 922

Garrison soldier, Birka, Sweden, 930

Chieftain, Gjermundbu, Norway, 950 - 975

The Mammen Man, Viborg, Denmark, 970

Royal Guard and enlisted soldier,