Guns Guns Guns

Users who are viewing this thread

Scipionus

Recruit
I was wondering.. is it plausable to make a side-adjustment to remove firearms from the game.. because where as I am loving Blood and Steel I sometimes feel like I want a more traditional.. gunless experiance. It may just be me being picky... but still.

IMO

"Our arrows will blot out the sun"
"Then we will fight in the shade"

is better than...

"BEWM HEADSHOT"
"ARGH!!!"

Steffenximus said:
Guns are an important aspect of this mod. If you don't like it, you should find another mod.
way to tell him!  if you don't like guns, move to england and quit playing computer games.  guns are everywhere, deal with it.

I'm not saying I don't like them, in fact I quite enjoy their existance in the mod. I guess what I'm trying to say really is if it would be possible to put up a set of downloads for individual features that the mod hosts.. like.. just an example here..

Say I want to play native but I really really hate having to enter towns and villages to talk to the Guild Master or Village Elder respectively. All I want is the option to talk to them directly from the interaction menu.

Guns were just an example of one of the things I might not want to play at that exact moment in time.. if you know what I mean.

I like guns though, just not all day every day.

In short, is there a way to pick and choose what features I want in or not (beyond realistic weather and what not)

You can change mod options from camp menu (and when starting a new game). You probably know but there are options like Disable female mercs and such.

Personally I think guns are so big part of the mod that it wouldn't work without them.

Scipionus said:
I'm not saying I don't like them, in fact I quite enjoy their existance in the mod. I guess what I'm trying to say really is if it would be possible to put up a set of downloads for individual features that the mod hosts.. like.. just an example here..

Say I want to play native but I really really hate having to enter towns and villages to talk to the Guild Master or Village Elder respectively. All I want is the option to talk to them directly from the interaction menu.

Guns were just an example of one of the things I might not want to play at that exact moment in time.. if you know what I mean.

I like guns though, just not all day every day.

In short, is there a way to pick and choose what features I want in or not (beyond realistic weather and what not)
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,101731.0.html

It's good to see someone actually answering my question rather than playing "Who has the bigger d*ck" game with me...

So far as I know, TweakMB won't remove firearms.  To do that would be fairly complicated- you'd have to edit both the item_kinds and the troops with the available editors, and even there, it may not work.  It can be done without coding, but really the best way is to use the source code and build a variant that you like, because it will be less likely to have serious problems.

That said, guns really are an important part of the mod's balance, and it simply wouldn't play the same without them.  Faction balance would go all kinds of askew- several of the Factions count on both guns and Cannons for their balance.  I have no plans to introduce such a patch at this time, as it would be a very different game.

Anyhow, do what you like, that's what source code is for :grin:

Scipionus wasn't just looking for a way to remove guns; he also wanted to know how to tweak other things.  but i do agree that this game wouldn't hold half as much appeal with me if it didn't have firearms.

Well I was just using guns as an example. ONLY removing guns would make it extremely unbalanced.. if I was going to do something so monumental as that then I would do all sorts of stuff to balance it out. However I still feel extremely overpowered when I can defeat any enemy force with enough ammo supplies and a bunch of Swadian Handgunners.. in sieges.. the enemies are packed so closely together that a single handgunner shot usually kills about 7 or 8 units at a time. Mix that in with having about 100 handgunners and you will never ever lose a siege... I mean the mortar makes me feel like a god in a siege wether I'm defending or attacking.. I can take out 5-10 people easily with a very low cannon skill. It just.. doesn't feel right. I agree however that guns are a huge part of the mod and recklessly taking them out without any further modification would be a mistake, and I won't be doing that.

As for killing armored units with anything other than a gun... I don't know if you've played the barbarian class using the dark king sword but you can pretty much cut through anything like butter.

Mix that in with having about 100 handgunners and you will never ever lose a siege...
That's because they simulate what it was like when armies could transport enough cannon, powder and shot, and the age of castles more or less came to an end.  Basically, it's how things are supposed to work.  And you'll find that aggressive sieges become fairly routine no matter what- it's the defensive scenarios that are really difficult. 

With enough high-end troops, whether we're talking Irregulars, Rhulg, various flavors of Cannoneers, Nest of Bees, etc., there are dozens of ways to achieve victory in an aggressive siege without losing many troops.  The hard part in the game is dealing with the Lords when they summon their hosts and come after you in force.

Scipionus said:
Well I was just using guns as an example. ONLY removing guns would make it extremely unbalanced.. if I was going to do something so monumental as that then I would do all sorts of stuff to balance it out. However I still feel extremely overpowered when I can defeat any enemy force with enough ammo supplies and a bunch of Swadian Handgunners.. in sieges.. the enemies are packed so closely together that a single handgunner shot usually kills about 7 or 8 units at a time. Mix that in with having about 100 handgunners and you will never ever lose a siege... I mean the mortar makes me feel like a god in a siege wether I'm defending or attacking.. I can take out 5-10 people easily with a very low cannon skill. It just.. doesn't feel right. I agree however that guns are a huge part of the mod and recklessly taking them out without any further modification would be a mistake, and I won't be doing that.

As for killing armored units with anything other than a gun... I don't know if you've played the barbarian class using the dark king sword but you can pretty much cut through anything like butter.
Cannons have 3 shots, and they are really effective against unarmored targets (and I bet you killed looters or bandits), or in sieges where all units are at 5 cm from each other. If you think they are overpowered, try fighting an elite army, and you'll be sorry for bringing them instead of Vaegirs and Snipers.

Dark King Sword is decent vs armor, but piercing melee weapons are far better.

I prefer the Manhunter's Short Polehammer. It's 1-H so you can use a shield too. You could also try the 2-H pierce weapons, forgot their names, something with Inquisitor (115 speed and 160 range) and another one Knight maybe (120 speed and 120 range). All of these are swing-only weapons.

Never gotten quite the results with the piercing or MSP as I have with the gold ole fashioned Dark King's Sword.  Besides, the DKS allows me to go double dragon.

I think it depends on what you build for.  Shield plus piercing gives you shield bash, which is handy for crowd control.  If you're a heavy-armor barb, that makes sense.  I like the nicer two-hand swords, though- I'm almost inclined to raise the best ones' prices again, because they're just about the most flexible hack n' slash weapons in the game atm.

Back
Top Bottom