Gun wankery

Users who are viewing this thread

That's like saying that the Bang rifle is the grandfather of the Garand because both used a gas trap system.

Oh wait. http://www.forgottenweapons.com/m1-garand-development/danish-bang-rifle/

Except the Mannlicher is not mentioned on the list of influential rifles. :iamamoron:

Furthermore, the Garand used a clip (attempted) patented by John Petersen during the development race of those two designers - not a Mannlicher design.

Besides, the list of en bloc using rifles is rather long:
The en bloc clip was invented by Ferdinand Mannlicher for use in his Model 1885 and Model 1888 rifle

Other rifles utilizing en-bloc clips include the German Gewehr 88 (since 1905 replaced by stripper clips), the Mexican Mondragón, the French Berthier Mle 1890 and RSC Mle 1917, the Italian M1870/87 Vetterli-Vitali and M1891 Carcano, the various (Romanian, Dutch, Portuguese) turnbolt Mannlichers, the Austro-Hungarian straight-pull Steyr-Mannlicher M1895, the Hungarian FÉG 35M, and the US M1895 Lee Navy, M1 Garand and Pedersen T1E3. Original Austrian Mannlicher clips were often uni-directional, but already the Gewehr 88 and subsequently the M1891 Carcano used symmetrical clips. John Pedersen at first developed an irreversible clip[1] for his rifle, later he redesigned the clip to be reversible.[2] This design was also utilized for the competing designs by John Garand.[3]

Doctor Dingleberry said:
nooooooo_luke_skywalker.gif
:shifty:

Someone invents the thing, the other guy copies the idea and makes the clip symmetrical. The third guy takes the symmetrical clip. No, no, the first guy had no role in it whatsoever  :shifty:

In regards to all the rifles listed, one has to wonder - what is the system they use named?  :shifty:

Mannlicher system or not, there's no justification to the statement that the use of the same magazine system makes one firearm the grandfather of another. Operating system; yes. Magazine system; no.

An example: The STG is considered the father of assault rifles - but it's not the direct parent of the AK-47, despite them using the same magazine system, and both being assault rifles. They use a different operating system.

Are you really quoting the Memorandum on Methodology of Ascertaining Genealogy of Long Firearms adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations on the 25th of March 2018 via Resolution 52/307?  :shifty:

Also, your example with AK and STG does not work that well as the feed system is definitely not as distinctive for the AK as it is for the Garand.

Hey, you're the one that started the Firearm Genealogy bull**** - can't help that I'm better at it than you are. :mrgreen:

Not as distinctive? How many other rifles had 30 round detachable magazines at the time these two rifles were developed? It was very distinctive to have a magazine of 30 rounds on a general issue firearm firing a rifle cartridge. Just as it was NOT particularly distinctive for a service rifle to have an en bloc clip feed at the beginning of WWII.

Besides, Garand wasn't copying the irreversible Mannlicher clip - he as copying the reversible Petersen clip.

Doctor Dingleberry said:
Hey, you're the one that started the Firearm Genealogy bull**** - can't help that I'm better at it than you are. :mrgreen:
I said that the roots of the Garand also lie with the Austrian rifle, which they simply do. It is you who sounds like a guy who made it big in the Big Apple, who wears a cashmere coat and is driven around in a sixteen cylinder Cadillac, while being kind of ashamed that his grandfather lives half-across the globe in a small village near the Danube in nowhere near as fancy mansion :shifty:

As for how many rifles or firearms had 30 round detachable magazines at the time AK or MP were developped? Well, if the key feature is a detachable magazine, then one can name BAR, M1 Carbine or FG-42 as far as the most famous ones are concerned. Add in the G43 chambered for Kurz, if you like the 30 number (or the post war M1 Carbine, further suggesting that it is 'merely' about making the mag bigger and not any distinctive engineering characteristic). If you want the magazine to be curved and 30 and rifle, one can also mention the ZGB33 / BREN  :mrgreen: This is, of course, nowhere near as distinctive as the Garand's enblocs as there were tons and tons of firearms using detachable box magazines, wherease there were not that many firearms using enblocs.

That being said, I don't think a claim that "MP-44 is the grandfather of the AK" can be rejected either. Which is why I was very interested in you producing the said UN Memorandum that would confirm that the genealogy is about the operating system and is not about the feed system. I would be all too happy to see you being better at it than I am but so far you keep failing to identify it  :mrgreen:

Doctor Dingleberry said:
Besides, Garand wasn't copying the irreversible Mannlicher clip - he as copying the reversible Petersen clip.
BenKenobi said:
Someone invents the thing, the other guy copies the idea and makes the clip symmetrical. The third guy takes the symmetrical clip. No, no, the first guy had no role in it whatsoever  :shifty:

CompetentWildIrrawaddydolphin-max-1mb.gif

BenKenobi said:
I said that the roots of the Garand also lie with the Austrian rifle, which they simply do. It is you who sounds like a guy who made it big in the Big Apple, who wears a cashmere coat and is driven around in a sixteen cylinder Cadillac, while being kind of ashamed that his grandfather lives half-across the globe in a small village near the Danube in nowhere near as fancy mansion :shifty:

*snip*
No, you claimed grandparentage. You didn't say "Hey, look how far that Mannlicher feed system got - it made it into the M1." Because I agree completely with that.

If I'm the guy in the Cadillac, you the guy back in Hungary who's too stubborn to admit that he wishes he'd left for NY instead of staying behind to cultivate the fine culinary qualities of turnips - so he never fails to mention, to everyone, that it was his idea, not mine, to go to NY.

The answer to the rest of your post is in your own post (and mine, for that matter). Operating system, not feed system.

The BREN isn't a rifle, it's a machine gun. Of your other examples, only the late M2 Carbine MIGHT apply - but was developed in '44, after the Stg-44. Of the rest, 20 rounds or less is max. The G43 in Kurz doesn't count, because it uses STG-44 mags, so it's clearly developed after the StG was.

Which leaves me with my original statement; the StG set a new standard for the standard infantry weapon - a standard that nigh-all rifles have upheld since. At the time, it was first mover. It was unique. It was distinctive as hell. Even if it was just extending a mag, much like how an en bloc was just leaving the stripper clip in the rifle. :wink:
So,
A) The StG is the grandfather of all 30-rounder-magazine-using personal rifles, and the Mannlicher is the grandfather of every weapon that happened to use an en bloc feed system, or;

B) The Mannlicher is not the grandfather of every rifle with an en bloc feeding system, because the StG is not the grandfather of all weapons using 30 rounder mags, ever, even if "there were tons and tons of literally no major service infantry rifles with 30 rounder magazines using detachable box magazines when the StG started doing it, wherease there were not that many at the time of the Garand development at least four service rifles (according to wiki) using enblocs."

Pick one.

As for the StG vs AK, the StG uses a long-stroke gas piston and a tilting bolt. The AK is a long-stroke gas piston rotating bolt. In this regard, the AK is more similar to the Garand. :mrgreen:

I'm not looking forward to the age where you have a blob of overhanging skin between your eyebrows  :cry:

Doctor Dingleberry said:
BenKenobi said:

*snip*
No, you claimed grandparentage. You didn't say "Hey, look how far that Mannlicher feed system got - it made it into the M1." Because I agree completely with that.
Doctor Dingleberry said:
The answer to the rest of your post is in your own post (and mine, for that matter). Operating system, not feed system.
This again brings me to the UN Memorandum  :mrgreen:

A)

Back
Top Bottom