SP Fantasy (Game of Thrones) A Clash of Kings (7.0 released 13th of May, 2019)

Which do you prefer?

• The books

Votes: 888 51.2%
  • The show

Votes: 847 48.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Mravac Kid said:
I wonder, how come this mod doesn't have a subforum of its own? With 900+ pages of comments, there's certainly plenty enough to talk about for it to justify having one.

For legal reasons, mods utilising third party IP (for example, those based on a licenced world) cannot be considered for a subforum.

I've been seeing some castles consisting of just walls against a hill, or castles with hills directly next to them, and I have to display some disapproval here. Those structures are defensively unsound, so badly that it's damaging my ability to take them seriously. Hills are easy to climb, even steep ones - far easier than it is to climb manned walls - and at the same time, harder to effectively man and defend than walls. In addition, hills erode constantly, sending debris down, making building directly below them a hazard.

If I had to provide an example, then I bid you to look for a real-world castle that's built like Raventree Hall in the moddb previews. It simply isn't done in real world, and that's because it's not defensible.

Sorry for being naggy.  :oops:

UnclePutte said:
I've been seeing some castles consisting of just walls against a hill, or castles with hills directly next to them, and I have to display some disapproval here. Those structures are defensively unsound, so badly that it's damaging my ability to take them seriously. Hills are easy to climb, even steep ones - far easier than it is to climb manned walls - and at the same time, harder to effectively man and defend than walls. In addition, hills erode constantly, sending debris down, making building directly below them a hazard.

If I had to provide an example, then I bid you to look for a real-world castle that's built like Raventree Hall in the moddb previews. It simply isn't done in real world, and that's because it's not defensible.

The wall is 700 feet tall and gorram wildlings can still shoot arrows up. Is all I'm saying.

There's a million things about castle construction that don't make sense in ASOIAF. The North lets Moat Cailin run down into a ruin, when just a small amount of maintenance would keep it in tip-top shape. The Eyrie exists. I could go on.

I've definitely noted that some of the castle constructions don't make Real World sense, but I get excited every time I siege or defend a castle that has a unique scene. It adds to the texture of the mod, if that makes any sense.

TarquinGaming said:
UnclePutte said:

The wall is 700 feet tall and gorram wildlings can still shoot arrows up. Is all I'm saying.

There's a million things about castle construction that don't make sense in ASOIAF. The North lets Moat Cailin run down into a ruin, when just a small amount of maintenance would keep it in tip-top shape. The Eyrie exists. I could go on.

I've definitely noted that some of the castle constructions don't make Real World sense, but I get excited every time I siege or defend a castle that has a unique scene. It adds to the texture of the mod, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, I can't deny those. As much as it grates on me, the Ice and Fire is a fantasy setting, not a realism setting. And no author is ever perfect. I do think that, as long as fixing the scenes do not require undue effort, attention to the surroundings should be given, just to avoid creating purposefully silly things.

And, uh... well, I'd imagine that plenty of keeps built dumb existed in the history of the world as well. Until first tested, at least. People have always enjoyed making things "good enough" rather than working for "perfect".

UnclePutte said:
And, uh... well, I'd imagine that plenty of keeps built dumb existed in the history of the world as well. Until first tested, at least. People have always enjoyed making things "good enough" rather than working for "perfect".

The glaring thing to me is that so many keeps/castles don't have curtain walls, which are entirely period appropriate to The War of the Roses. I mean, the benefits of curtain walls sort of explain themselves, we know that Winterfell has one that was built long after the initial construction. That any family of good fortune and stature would have a castle for three hundred years and NOT build themselves a curtain wall, unless they were very far from any suitable quarries, it's just odd. Also, a fair amount of castles are described as having Zwinger formations built into them (which IS apparent in many scenes in the mod, to my delight)...and if you know that you can hire someone to build a curtain wall and a zwinger, why wouldn't you?

All sorts of Lords have money, and they nearly all live behind ancient fortifications that hadn't been updated beyond basic maintenance in anyone's lifetime. Hmm. Maybe the Targ kings issued some kind of edict telling people they couldn't build good castles?

edit: this all about ASOIAF in general, not this mod

edit2: Lord Canute, I've been extremely impressed by every piece of your work so far, but your scene for Ten Towers totally blew me away. I don't know why I didn't immediately check out all the new scenes (wanted to experience them organically, I suppose) but wow. It's the best scene I've ever seen in Warband and Steam tells me that I've played 924 hours of it (which is something I hadn't noticed). I haven't had the chance to defend it yet but I can't wait.

Just wondering if you are ever going to add blackfyre back into the game it was so good in the previous version

things I haven't seen in the changelog:

will womens faces be changed back or at least have more variety since they r all pretty much clones with different color hair, ages, and dresses?

will stone hedge be moved back to it's previous spot as the new book and basically every map of Westeros has it on the other side of the river?

you mention a lot of Essos new towns will you also change Vaith and Godsgrace?

any thoughts on creating castle-towns which would be castles with nerfed versions of what towns have (I know someone said this may take a lot of coding as I'v said previously I have no idea how to mod so would understand if you didn't want to pursue it even though this is supposed to be a .5 version upgrade from 1.5 and lore-wise would make a lot of since as you've pointed out :/) including tourney's so Harrenhal can have one ect.?

one last plea to bring back Bone-Breaker (I know you already said it probably wasn't ever coming back a few pages ago), that thing was epic.

probably get disregarded as usual but figured I'd ask anyway.

Azsouth said:
even though this is supposed to be a .5 version upgrade from 1.5

The rest of what you said I can't address, except that probably the location will be changed. The preview on moddb says "The worldbook also included some maps with a bit of new information regarding castle/town placement and rivers, so I am also doing various map changes."

However, the numbers of a mod DO NOT indicate a real-number progression between versions, with caveats. For example, it's not like 1.5 is ".5" units of version upgrades from 1.0, that's not how patch identification in software versions work. Let me explain. No, let me sum up.

188px-VersionNumbers.svg.png

From the preview: "Once that is done, I'll finish work on the new diplomacy system (mostly implemented already, just have to test it) which will make the world a lot more dynamic." This sentence, this tiny little sentence, is the dream. Dynamic diplomacy, in any form, will be the biggest change this mod has received since I started playing it in 1.31. I am thrilled.

Also, Stone Hedge. Here's the deal. Dunno if he'll change it, you really seem to want it changed, here's how:
Go to your module folder, open parties.txt, and search for the string below however is most convenient for you. I recommend "Stone_Hedge"

1 139 139 p_castle_86 Stone_Hedge 4215937 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 88.590900 -30.257000 88.590900 -30.257000 88.590900 -30.257000 0.0 0

Replace ^This entire string, absolutely no other changes don't you dare add a 0 somewhere, with the string below.

1 139 139 p_castle_86 Stone_Hedge 4215937 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 92.927000 -24.109000 92.927000 -24.109000 92.927000 -24.109000 0.0 0

and then:

veFJc87.jpg

as with all edits to files, you may need to start a new game for the changes to take effect

rabbittruns said:
Cozur, I have been lurking and playing previous builds for over a year now and have never posted before, but I just wanted to thank you so MUCH for your hard work.. your modification literally makes me feel like I live in Westeros and am a part of the GoT world.. I just wanted to post this because I am certain there are many, many more like me who haven't posted, and reading many of the previous posts I don't believe you are getting the credit or respect you deserve.  Anyways thanks so much man, I am really looking forward to 2.0 and consider myself privileged to enjoy any build in between!

nothing says thank you like a donation!

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&[email protected]&lc=US&item_name=Donations%20for%20ACOK&item_number=ACOK&no_note=0

Would it ever be possible to have some sort of priority list for what factions lords will be most likely to join once their faction is eliminated/they defect? Seeing Gregor join Dorne and various wildlings joining the North made me wonder. I've never modded so I'm aware this might be plain impossible, it's just an observation.

"Maces now do slightly less damage.
One-Handed Maces can no longer knock down enemies.
One-Handed Maces can no longer crush through shields."

Argh my favorite weapon ^^
The one hand mace was clearly over powered.
Back to Darksister, especially with the longer reach.  :cool:
Well done Cozur !

Back
Top Bottom