In Progress Game is unable to save config/savegame files in : ...\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Yup, happend to me aswell but with TournamentXPanded. It tells you to update the mod because of the new game version, but when you do it corrupts the save file making it unsavable (so I guess dont do it).

Tournament XPanded - Version 1.6.3.hf2 (and hf1) fixes the save issue with BL1.2.0. There may be another issue around item modifiers that has yet to be figured out - hf2 adds extra error handling around that to try and prevent it from being an issue. (Or you can turn off item modifiers in the experimental settings of the mod).
I've been playing all morning with it on the latest BL1.2.1 that came out today and I've had no problems saving or crashing. If you do have problems you can send me the logfile on nexus or I can tell you how to turn on more diagnostics if you're in a mind to help troubleshoot it.

Tournament
Tournament XPanded - Version 1.6.3.hf2 (and hf1) fixes the save issue with BL1.2.0. There may be another issue around item modifiers that has yet to be figured out - hf2 adds extra error handling around that to try and prevent it from being an issue. (Or you can turn off item modifiers in the experimental settings of the mod).
I've been playing all morning with it on the latest BL1.2.1 that came out today and I've had no problems saving or crashing. If you do have problems you can send me the logfile on nexus or I can tell you how to turn on more diagnostics if you're in a mind to help troubleshoot it.
I started a new campaing. But if it comes ever again, yeah pls tell me how to troubleshoot this or to know where the error is. Bc I googled it several days and nobody knew something about it...

I also have this problem but I don't have the mod you are talking about.
After loading one of my save I can save multiple times but after 10-20 seconds I can't anymore and I get "Cannot Create Save Data ".
When I go to the logs Folder I get this:
[17:29:41.6212810] Saving with new context

[17:29:41.6212810] SaveContext::Save

[17:29:41.8616384] SaveContext::CollectObjects took 240 ms.

[17:29:42.0965207] SaveContext::Saving Objects took 234 ms.

[17:29:42.3398697] SaveContext::Saving Containers took 242 ms.

[17:29:42.3398697] SaveContext::Save took 717 ms.

[17:29:42.3398697] Save Context took 717 ms.

[17:29:42.3398697] Couldn't save because of errors listed below.

[17:29:42.3398697] [0]Not implemented

[17:29:42.3398697] --------------------

Is there a way to have more logs I tried to modify the log_level parameter of the file:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\Modules\Native\engine_module.ini

But I didn't get more logs.

EDIT : I update to 1.3.0 I now didn't encounter this error in 1H with the same save.

Last edited:
For me i think it was not TournamentXPanded, at least alone, i tried up to the last e1.6.3.hf4, and i still have the issue, i tried to unistall the mods with a clean save plus savefix provided by github, as soon i load the game im able to save, but if i move a few meters and try to save im unable to, i gave up and began a new play with less mods, and at the moment it works perfectly with:
MB2-01.jpg

Come back after a few weeks of not playing. And I cannot make a save.
I don't have anything but the stock windows virus, detects no threats.
I disabled all mods and now I am stuck, I checked cache etc.
What the actual F.
I'm going to tally this up to, is just early access. I guess I'll come back in another week or so.

Last edited:
I am running the latest e1.4.0, Windows Defender is not blocking the app and I do not use any controlled folders for ransomware protection. I have restarted the Campaign every time there's a new patch in the hopes this save file will issue will be fixed. I can save games fine for a couple or few hours but EVERY.SINGLE.TIME I eventually get "cannot create save file." I'm pretty much fed up with not being able to progress the game, please please fix this!

It's been reported times and times again that the issue is related to sudden savegame bloating. Just keep an eye on your save files: sooner or later your latest one (likely an autosave) will suddenly go from ~35/40mb to ~65/75mb, which quite evidently shows something got corrupted. Once that happens, you won't be able to save anymore. At the moment the only solution is to keep several savefiles on rotation, so as soon as you see the issue coming up, you have a previous save to revert to without losing too much progress.

This happens with or without mods, although some mods can possibly make it more frequent (not even necessarily for any specific technical reason: the main one why for instance the Tournament mod was wrongly accused - apart from a different problem it caused when it still saved data in the game in its older iterations - is likely because by its very nature it encourages savescumming playstiles: and guess what happens more often if savescumming when you have a random chance of the game corrupting each time you save it?).

Of course the game just gives the same error message for every possible issue that causes the save to fail, so the usual silly oversights such as messed up antivirus softwares, folder permissions or lack of disk space end up being reported in the same topics, but the two things *are not correlated*: proof of that is you can perfectly fine load and save the same campaign from 20 minutes before the issue came up. Until, once again, a new save bloats (and likely corrupts) the file again, and the issue is back.

It's been reported times and times again that the issue is related to sudden savegame bloating. Just keep an eye on your save files: sooner or later your latest one (likely an autosave) will suddenly go from ~35/40mb to ~65/75mb, which quite evidently shows something got corrupted. Once that happens, you won't be able to save anymore. At the moment the only solution is to keep several savefiles on rotation, so as soon as you see the issue coming up, you have a previous save to revert to without losing too much progress.

This happens with or without mods, although some mods can possibly make it more frequent (not even necessarily for any specific technical reason: the main one why for instance the Tournament mod was wrongly accused - apart from a different problem it caused when it still saved data in the game in its older iterations - is likely because by its very nature it encourages savescumming playstiles: and guess what happens more often if savescumming when you have a random chance of the game corrupting each time you save it?).

Of course the game just gives the same error message for every possible issue that causes the save to fail, so the usual silly oversights such as messed up antivirus softwares, folder permissions or lack of disk space end up being reported in the same topics, but the two things *are not correlated*: proof of that is you can perfectly fine load and save the same campaign from 20 minutes before the issue came up. Until, once again, a new save bloats (and likely corrupts) the file again, and the issue is back.
Need some clarification, when this happens do you have to delete the bloated save in order for other saves to work again?

Also, when you say without mods, do you mean mods disabled or no mods ever on a fresh install?

I ran into this problem a while back, confirmed not antivirus, but couldnt find solid sounding info like this at the time.

Need some clarification, when this happens do you have to delete the bloated save in order for other saves to work again?

Also, when you say without mods, do you mean mods disabled or no mods ever on a fresh install?

I ran into this problem a while back, confirmed not antivirus, but couldnt find solid sounding info like this at the time.

The other (older) saves will work, it's the bloated save that's irremediably borked (even if it actually loads, you won't be able to save anymore, even on new files). You can delete it, overwrite it, whatever: you just won't be able to continue that savegame anymore.

Usually, if the previous save is still fine (and with the normal size of about ~35mb) the issue usually won't reappear at the same time even if you more or less try to retrace your steps (although sooner or later it likely will reappear): but there have been a few people who reported saves that could still be resaved just after being loaded, and that repeatedly would then give the error in a reproducible way just a few steps into it: this could either mean they had an already borked and bloated save that still managed to resave just once or so, or that they happened to save just before one of the things that cause this bloat, whatever it might be that's borked in the code. So close to it, actually, that they couldn't avoid it anymore: those saves would be very useful to the devs to better identify the cause, but alas I don't know if anyone who happened to encounter such a "perfect spot" bothered to upload their save for investigation.

This is why it's important to keep a healthy number of separate saves on rotation: because a save from 2 minutes before might not be enough to recover the game for the long term.

As for mods: yep, AFAIK even games with no mods whatsoever, I've seen plenty of people reporting this issue while never having gone to the beta branch or installed any mods. It just seems to be definitely less frequent in unmodded games, which however can be just a biased perspective for various reasons: the playstile thing mentioned before, or the fact some mods can give similar errors for very different reasons, which often tend to overlap in the feedback. And, last but definitely not least, the very fact there's A LOT more communication about game issues among players active in the modding community (which, at the moment, is focused more on fixing the game rather than expanding it, for obvious reasons) than elsewhere, so the issue gets reported and talked about much more there than here, which could lead to make it seem the problem has a strong correlation with mods when that correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation.
There also have been reports about the Community Patch guys having supposedly identified a likely cause for it and being investigating the issue for a fix, but... heh, that's third party information, as the Community Patch project is, quite baffling I dare say, not very sharing with the community (they even closed the comment thread on the Nexus, for some reason). So take it with a grain of salt.

The other (older) saves will work, it's the bloated save that's irremediably borked (even if it actually loads, you won't be able to save anymore, even on new files). You can delete it, overwrite it, whatever: you just won't be able to continue that savegame anymore.

Usually, if the previous save is still fine (and with the normal size of about ~35mb) the issue usually won't reappear at the same time even if you more or less try to retrace your steps (although sooner or later it likely will reappear): but there have been a few people who reported saves that could still be resaved just after being loaded, and that repeatedly would then give the error in a reproducible way just a few steps into it: this could either mean they had an already borked and bloated save that still managed to resave just once or so, or that they happened to save just before one of the things that cause this bloat, whatever it might be that's borked in the code. So close to it, actually, that they couldn't avoid it anymore: those saves would be very useful to the devs to better identify the cause, but alas I don't know if anyone who happened to encounter such a "perfect spot" bothered to upload their save for investigation.

This is why it's important to keep a healthy number of separate saves on rotation: because a save from 2 minutes before might not be enough to recover the game for the long term.

As for mods: yep, AFAIK even games with no mods whatsoever, I've seen plenty of people reporting this issue while never having gone to the beta branch or installed any mods. It just seems to be definitely less frequent in unmodded games, which however can be just a biased perspective for various reasons: the playstile thing mentioned before, or the fact some mods can give similar errors for very different reasons, which often tend to overlap in the feedback. And, last but definitely not least, the very fact there's A LOT more communication about game issues among players active in the modding community (which, at the moment, is focused more on fixing the game rather than expanding it, for obvious reasons) than elsewhere, so the issue gets reported and talked about much more there than here, which could lead to make it seem the problem has a strong correlation with mods when that correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation.
There also have been reports about the Community Patch guys having supposedly identified a likely cause for it and being investigating the issue for a fix, but... heh, that's third party information, as the Community Patch project is, quite baffling I dare say, not very sharing with the community (they even closed the comment thread on the Nexus, for some reason). So take it with a grain of salt.
Thanks for the info, it's definitely kind of tough right now to figure out which bug reports are bug bugs and which are "I went mod crazy" bugs. I lost my most recent campaign to the scoreboard on battle crash, and now doing modless 1.4.1. If I run into this save bug I'll be sure to upload it.

This bug has popped up in varius forms for me the current and most ****ing annoying is this :
From the second i have a bug and bannerlord asks me to send a crashreport to them all saves under the same flag colour/ emblem are no longer usable becouse you cant save annymore Even those that worked before the crash. this is the 4 th time i ragequit becouse of this stupid ****ing retarded bug.

please stop evryone's job doing no matter what and put them on fixing this issue.

i skipped 1.4.0 becouse of this retarded bug i even got a new ****ing pc. and now this **** is happening in an even ****tier form for the love of god or allah or hoever you pray to plz fix this ****. get the cleaning personnel on it to if you have to.

(Edit) After some searching i found that the culprit for me is actually my favorite Mod Dynaculture. Taleworld plz help this dude out :grin: he gets u more costumers.
(Edit 2) I deleted the mod and its back so i think it has something to do with native. note it used to be because after i joined as a Mercenairy now the bug only happens when im a vassal.

Last edited:

lol don't say the community patch isent sharing with the community they just dont want chaos on their propperly managed channels they just want to force people to submit thei bug reports on github.

lol don't say the community patch isent sharing with the community they just dont want chaos on their propperly managed channels they just want to force people to submit thei bug reports on github.

Which doesn't make closing the Nexus thread any less unusual and, yes, community unfriendly, by definition. As only a microscopic percentage of the playerbase uses Github: this doesn't just mean much less people will contribute with bug reports (but that's their business: indeed getting them only from people who bother to use Github may very well make it more orderly and avoid excessive inaccurate feedback, so there's advantages too indeed), but also that players lose the Nexus platform as the hub in which to discuss the mod and, for instance, help one another with their issues, compatibility troubles between mods etc, nor they have - as it happens with most other mods - the Nexus as a hub to get infos and updates by the modders about what they are working on etc. Which is a disadvantage for the players themselves: so, again by definition, "not very sharing with the community".

Anyway, this is OT so whatever.

Back
Top Bottom