In Progress Game is unable to save config/savegame files in : ...\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord

Users who are viewing this thread

Manoroth73

Recruit
Hi,

Summary:

I'm able to launch the game but my game is unable to save games, or save my settings.

Examples :

- If I launch a new campaign, skipping the tutorial, then trying to save, the game says something like "unable to save game file data"

- If I try to load a savegame, game crash.

- My game is actually windowed in the settings. If i change it in the game settings (from game UI) to Fullscreen, it changes to Fullscreen; but when I exit game (not alt + f4, normal exit), and relaunch the game, it is windowed again. It applies for every game setting (graphical, audio, etc.).

So my guess is the game seems to be unable to write in "..\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord" files or save this files.
I checked, every directory inside "..\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord" have all Windows rights they need.

How to Reproduce:

I had audio config issues with my headphone, so I made a backup and deleted the whole "...\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord directory" to test solutions.
Then, I had this problem of not saving settings / not being able to load save games, etc.

I deleted again the directory "...\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord directory", and uninstalled / reinstalled game from steam.
The installation did create "..\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord" directory and "Configs", "Editor Files", "Online Images" directories, but they are empty.

I restored my "..\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord" directory backup with all my previous working savegames and settings. I still have the same problem.

I'm not the only one to have this problem :

Quest/Settlement Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Version: 1.0.4
Computer Specs
:
GPU: RTX 2080 Ti
CPU: i7 9700k
RAM: 16 Go DDR4
Motherboard: MSI Z390 AC Carbon
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Only SSD Nvme

Thanks for taking the time to read and acknowledge this post.

Last edited:
I have the same issue and also Bitdefender Antivirus.
I added some exceptions for every application of Bannerlord but i still have the same issue.

How did you add these exceptions to make it work ?

Thank you

Well. I have the exact same problem.
Only thing is that I get the directories but empty. My BitDefender isn't blocking anything and there's no notification either.

Quest/Settlement Name (if related):N/A
Media (Screenshots & Video): N/A
Version: 1.0.5 (but kept doing it from 1.0.0)
Computer Specs
:
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
CPU: i7 8700k
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Windows on M2 game on HDD.

Well. I have the exact same problem.
Only thing is that I get the directories but empty. My BitDefender isn't blocking anything and there's no notification either.

Quest/Settlement Name (if related):N/A
Media (Screenshots & Video): N/A
Version: 1.0.5 (but kept doing it from 1.0.0)
Computer Specs:
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
CPU: i7 8700k
RAM: 32GB DDR4
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Windows on M2 game on HDD.
SOLVED
For anyone with the same problem... Antivirus will intervene. In my case, bit defender, there was no notification. Even with some exceptions and whitelisting the problem was persistent.The category you need to check is "Safe Files/Application Access". Grant access to the Bannelornd Launcher and you're good to go.

Glad to see there are some workaround working for you. We are investigating this issue if there can be anything to solve it through our end. Until that time you can try adding Bannerlord to your anti-virus Softwares safe lists.

I have the same problem: "cannot create save data" when I try to save a campaign. I am not using Bitdefender but Microsoft Security. I do not think it is the antivirus software as I tried turning off the anti-virus but still cannot save a campaign. Tried reinstalling and also making sure all the relevant folders have write access.

The game does automaticaly create a saved game but if I try to load it, the game crashes. Other steam games work fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the same problem: "cannot create save data" when I try to save a campaign. I am not using Bitdefender but Microsoft Security. I do not think it is the antivirus software as I tried turning off the anti-virus but still cannot save a campaign. Tried reinstalling and also making sure all the relevant folders have write access.

The game does automaticaly create a saved game but if I try to load it, the game crashes. Other steam games work fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The default save location is My Document\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves\Native\####.sav
For a reason that I don't understand the game could not write to this folder so I removed the HD containing this folder and created a new My Documents folder on a different HD and this finally resolved the problem for me.

I am having this similar issue except I am using the in built anti-virus for Windows 10. This has an option to 'whitelist' certain applications. But for the life of me I can't get it to do so, even when following internet instructions. This makes the game completely unplayable and Bannerlord is the only game this happens to. This also only started in the latest patch.

The default save location is My Document\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves\Native\####.sav
For a reason that I don't understand the game could not write to this folder so I removed the HD containing this folder and created a new My Documents folder on a different HD and this finally resolved the problem for me.

I tried turning off my antivirus but that did not solve the issue. How exactly did you solve it? How did you remove the hard drive containing that folder and how did you create a new My Documents folder on a different hard drive?

Hi all, i had the same issue before, but i was able to fix it by doing the following (windows 10):
-Go to Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Ransomware protection > Allow an app through Controlled folder access > Add an allowed app > recently blocked apps > "taleworlds.mountandblade.launcher.exe"
-if you have the game open already, it should be able to save immediately.

good luck!

Hi all, i had the same issue before, but i was able to fix it by doing the following (windows 10):
-Go to Windows Security > Virus & threat protection > Ransomware protection > Allow an app through Controlled folder access > Add an allowed app > recently blocked apps > "taleworlds.mountandblade.launcher.exe"
-if you have the game open already, it should be able to save immediately.

good luck!
I tried this. My antivirus isn't blocking it and I still can't save.

Hello,

I'm having this issue since yesterday, never had it before.

I tried dkdarkknight's solution, but in vain. It did not work for me.
I don't have any antivirus installed except Windows' one.

Please, moderators, any suggestion would be welcome. The game is not playable at this point.

Same here, i was playing, i saved with no problems, killed a looters party, killed another one, and when i was to kill a third one it tells me it can't save the save_auto, i tried to save manually and nothing, why? i was playing and suddenly...
I tried to add an exception and deactivate my antivirus (avast) and it didn't solve it...
I went to my documents/blablabla/game saves/native/ and there were my old saves, i tried to rename game saves to game saves old to see if the game creates a new folder, and yes, when i tried to save it created a new /game saves/native/ folder but it was still unable to save, why? no idea at all :razz:
If i load and old save i can save new ones.... but... for how much time?.... lets see. :S

Last edited:
All of a sudden I have the same issue, since today. I could play and create save files fine until last night.
Now I can still load existing saves, but not create new ones.
I don't have Bitdefender or any other Antivirus running, and afaik there was no update or any other changes applied to my system since it last worked.

I have the same problem too after new beta patch (1.2.0). at the start of the new save everything's fine, but after a while I cant save anymore for some reason. I dont have any antivirus on and I add the mnb folder and .exe in windows antivirus exceptions too, still not able to save.

After a few more hours playing it happened me only one more time, but as im saving a lot more often (almost every battle, after and before) it wasn't a great lose.
I didn't identified the reason at all. By the way my active mods are:
045c3fba3188309035238b385501024f-full.jpg

Back
Top Bottom