Need More Info Game crashing when entering town scene, with possible solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
v1.2.7
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Yes, but I removed mods.
Summary: GPU driver crashes when entering certain town scenes with error message:
d3d_device_context_ -> Map at rglGPU_device::lock_texture Failed! The GPU device instance has been suspended
How to Reproduce:
Have latest AMD drivers.
Have any version of Bannerlord.
Try entering certain town scenes (Amprela and Amytatis give consistent results).
Have you used cheats and if so which: no
Scene Name (if related): Amprela/Amytatis
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
GPU Driver Version: 23.12.1
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 32GB
Motherboard: TUF X570+
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Samsung 980PRO

Probably same issue as these threads:

I tried several solutions, including the one recommended in the mentioned threads (upping page file size). Nothing worked.

So I started doing some testing:

Tried different graphics settings, everything lowered as far as possible -> no luck.
Tried different game versions -> no luck. I could reproduce the crash on pre-release versions too.
Tried installing on Linux with proton. Could not reproduce the crash there. Though it might be from vulkan, so I tried running Bannerlord with dxvk on windows, still crashing.
So if dxvk wasn't it, maybe an earlier driver? Sure enough after testing it with driver version 23.2.1 the issue went away.

tl;dr: Reverting to older AMD GPU driver fixes this issue.

I haven't tried bisecting the amd drivers to figure out which version was the culprit, since that would take a lot of time, but maybe some of you having the same issue can chip in?

Steps to revert to older AMD driver:
1. Disable window's automatic driver update
2. Use DDU to wipe the old driver.
3. Install older driver from AMD's website, for 5700xt it's https://www.amd.com/en/support/prev...d-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

Edit: From my testing the latest working amd gpu driver is version 23.5.2.

Edit2: the issue persists with version 1.2.7 of the game

Last edited:
Great find ! every bit of testing and fixes / work-arounds helps many.

I had Locked texture error with an nVidia 1080 GPU . So maybe the issue is buggy drivers, both AMD and nVidia ? AMD are famous for buggy drivers :grin:

Great find ! every bit of testing and fixes / work-arounds helps many.

I had Locked texture error with an nVidia 1080 GPU . So maybe the issue is buggy drivers, both AMD and nVidia ? AMD are famous for buggy drivers :grin:
bro if this is the only game which crashes means they don't make the game work for amd =/ I mean, what would you like me to do to use a 3-4 year old version only to have all my other games crash?

I'll do some more testing later today, try to find out which driver update introduced changes that trigger the issue.
Though it has to be said I don't remember having this issue with any other video game.

It might be the case of Bannerlord's engine relying on gpu drivers to work in a certain way, then when the drivers are updated the rug is pulled out from under Bannerlord and we get these crashes.

the procesor or the video card?
Video card.

I'll do some more testing later today, try to find out which driver update introduced changes that trigger the issue.
Though it has to be said I don't remember having this issue with any other video game.

It might be the case of Bannerlord's engine relying on gpu drivers to work in a certain way, then when the drivers are updated the rug is pulled out from under Bannerlord and we get these crashes.

Video card.
i have ryzen 7 3700x and Rx 590 (8gb) =/ thanks anyway =}}

Did some more testing, trying to figure out which driver update would trigger the issue.
From my testing the latest working version is 23.5.2, while the next version available from AMD's website, 23.7.1, will trigger the crash.

Edit: I didn't test all of them, went with 23.2.1 -> 23.5.2 -> 23.8.1 -> 23.7.1 to narrow it down easily, assuming the issue isn't fixed/regressing anywhere.

Did some more testing, trying to figure out which driver update would trigger the issue.
From my testing the latest working version is 23.5.2, while the next version available from AMD's website, 23.7.1, will trigger the crash.
it seems quite correct, now the question is why it crashes? =}

Edit: I didn't test all of them, went with 23.2.1 -> 23.5.2 -> 23.8.1 -> 23.7.1 to narrow it down easily, assuming the issue isn't fixed/regressing anywhere.

So from the driver release notes we have
Fixed Issues

Certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Application crash or driver timeout may be observed during playback of AV1 video content using DaVinci Resolve™ Studio.
Improvements to high idle power when using select 4k@144Hz FreeSync enabled displays or multimonitor display configurations (such as 4k@144HZ or 4k@120Hz + 1440p@60Hz display) using on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Intermittent corruption may be observed playing WWE 2K23™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
Intermittent corruption may be observed after switching windows while playing Nioh 2™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6800 XT.
Improvements to performance while playing The Great War: Western Front™.

Known Issues

Application crash may be intermittently observed while playing RuneScape™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT.
Intermittent corruption may be observed around some player models while playing Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix+™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT.
Stuttering may be observed while playing Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II with Radeon™ Anti-Lag enabled. As a temporary solution, users encountering this are recommended to disable the Anti-Lag in the per-game settings.
Performance Metrics Overlay may report N/A for FPS on various games.
Display signal may be lost after switching windows on certain Adaptive-Sync enable displays on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
Higher than expected GPU Memory Utilization when using certain Record and Stream settings such as Instant Replay.
Performance drop may be experienced for DirectX® 11 games on AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 XT when AMD SmartAccess Memory is Enabled. As a temporary workaround, users encountering this are recommended to disable SmartAccess Memory in the Performance Tuning Page.

At first glance my bet would be on

> Performance drop may be experienced for DirectX® 11 games on AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 XT when AMD SmartAccess Memory is Enabled. As a temporary workaround, users encountering this are recommended to disable SmartAccess Memory in the Performance Tuning Page.

I'm going to test to see if disabling that on latest drivers does anything.

Fixed Issues

Certain virtual reality games or applications may encounter suboptimal performance or occasional stuttering on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Application crash or driver timeout may be observed during playback of AV1 video content using DaVinci Resolve™ Studio.
Improvements to high idle power when using select 4k@144Hz FreeSync enabled displays or multimonitor display configurations (such as 4k@144HZ or 4k@120Hz + 1440p@60Hz display) using on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
Intermittent corruption may be observed playing WWE 2K23™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
Intermittent corruption may be observed after switching windows while playing Nioh 2™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6800 XT.

Known Issues

Application crash may be intermittently observed while playing RuneScape™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT.
Intermittent corruption may be observed around some player models while playing Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Mega Mix+™ on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT.
Stuttering may be observed while playing Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® II with Radeon™ Anti-Lag enabled. As a temporary solution, users encountering this are recommended to disable the Anti-Lag in the per-game settings.
Display signal may be lost after switching windows on certain Adaptive-Sync enable displays on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
Higher than expected GPU Memory Utilization when using certain Record and Stream settings such as Instant Replay.
Performance drop may be experienced for DirectX® 11 games on AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 XT when AMD SmartAccess Memory is Enabled. As a temporary workaround, users encountering this are recommended to disable SmartAccess Memory in the Performance Tuning Page.

> Performance drop may be experienced for DirectX® 11 games on AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 XT when AMD SmartAccess Memory is Enabled. As a temporary workaround, users encountering this are recommended to disable SmartAccess Memory in the Performance Tuning Page.

i have rx590 (8gb) =}

Fixed Issues

Known Issues

I'm starting to get tired, I just want to play the game, I just reported to amd

so the game still crashes on an older version or?

Tested this, installed latest driver, disabled SAM, crash still occurring, so that's not it.

I just tested the oldest driver version for the rx590 i can get, and it still crashes (22.11.1) , if I remember correctly, the game had no crash on version 19.+ , but the oldest version now is 22.11.1

Back
Top Bottom