Need More Info Game crashing when entering town scene, with possible solution

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
v1.2.7
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Yes, but I removed mods.
@Megas Hmm, I just read your crash report thread, you might not be experiencing the same issue. Are you getting an alert window with the message including something like 'd3d_device_context_ -> Map at rglGPU_device::lock_texture Failed!'?

@Megas Hmm, I just read your crash report thread, you might not be experiencing the same issue. Are you getting an alert window with the message including something like 'd3d_device_context_ -> Map at rglGPU_device::lock_texture Failed!'?
bro the game just crash in the arena and very rarely in fights with 800-1000 , I don't know what to do, I think I'll get an RTX in about 2 years and that's it =[

I checked the information. The error was fixed after changing the driver to version 23.5.2. I have a 5500 XT graphics card. Many thanks to the author.

I checked the information. The error was fixed after changing the driver to version 23.5.2. I have a 5500 XT graphics card. Many thanks to the author.
??? bro i have rx590 (8gb) and i have the last diver version 23.11.1 and the game crash in the arena

??? bro i have rx590 (8gb) and i have the last diver version 23.11.1 and the game crash in the arena
Have you tried to install the version of Adrenaline Edition 23.5.2? Download this, supports RX590
drivers.amd.com/drivers/whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.5.2-win10-win11-may31.exe

Last edited:
Have you tried to install the version of Adrenaline Edition 23.5.2? Download this, supports RX590
drivers.amd.com/drivers/whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.5.2-win10-win11-may31.exe
I tried several versions, everything is in vain, I deleted the game, nobody cares

Thanks for this. The crashing was driving me nuts and 23.5.2 fixed it. Hopefully AMD can get this fixed fast as I have other games that likely require the newer drivers. I filed a crash report but couldn't really give specifics as it was crashing after loading many big battles. But almost always on the bigger sieges. Since it's slightly different for everyone I'm guessing it has to do with RAM or GPU RAM maxing out.

In the beginning it wasn't too bad but once those battles had 400+ sized armies it really started to ramp up in occurrence. (5700XT w/ 8GB & 64GB RAM with tons of browser tabs and other programs running in the background )

Last edited:
Solid work there Szentgyörgyi.

Unfortunately reverting to older drivers isn't a viable solution for me as newer versions has bug/performance fixes for other applications/games for me. But I'll see if I'll have the time at some point to try reverting to that driver version to verify if it fixes the issue for me as well. I do however think I had the same issue on previous playthroughs that predates those driver versions, I could be wrong though.

I'll post some info as well, in case it could possibly help the devs if they ever try and contact AMD about the issue.

It differs for me though in the sense that it's not a normal crash but my entire PC freezes and I'm forced to reboot the entire system. Hence I do not get a crash report.

Version number: 1.2.8.31530
Modded/Unmodded: Unmodded

Summary: Computer freezes while loading town scene/siege battle in specific towns.
How to Reproduce: Load siege battle/Enter town scene at specific towns
Scene Name (if related): Amitatys, Pen Cannoc, Onira & possibly others
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT
GPU Driver Version: 23.30.13.01-231128a-398226C-AMD-Software-Adrenalin-Edition (23.12.1 Adrenaline Edition)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200 MHZ CL16 Vengeance (4x8GB)
Motherboard: TUF Gaming X570-PLUS
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2 NVMe

Troubleshooting: Tried lower/different Gfx settings, updating drivers, verifying game files, doing a clean install, different saves.

Last edited:
Same thing happening to me. Trying to enter the town of Charas (specifically the streets of) causes a driver timeout as well as the following error message:

>--------------------------- ERROR --------------------------- rglGPU_device_d3d11::create_render_texture The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.

All other towns/scenes that I've visited seemed fine. I've also definately visited Charas more than once when I was playing the game a year or so ago on the exact same hardware (r3600 cpu, 5700 xt GPU), and had no issues.

I just walked around Charas, no problems - 1.2.8 - 7900 XTX (24G mem)

This game HATES 8G GPU mem, if you're not willing to wind back drivers then I suggest cleaning out all 3-4 places of shaders cache and re downloading. (see other posts for locations of shader cache)

I just walked around Charas, no problems - 1.2.8 - 7900 XTX (24G mem)

This game HATES 8G GPU mem, if you're not willing to wind back drivers then I suggest cleaning out all 3-4 places of shaders cache and re downloading. (see other posts for locations of shader cache)
Is this really about the 8 Gigs? Seems to me like it's more of a 5700 XT-specific issue, and AMD is world-renowned for its buggy drivers (stands to reason they find it harder to make good ones given how Nvidia has 85% of the desktop market and AMD has like 5%)

My Nvidia 1080 with 8G gave me the same problem. I upgraded to a 7900 XTX with 24G, problem went away ! Not fixed, I just found a work around. I strongly suspect the game / driver is trying allocate memory, fails for some reason (8G too small??) then crash.

My Nvidia 1080 with 8G gave me the same problem. I upgraded to a 7900 XTX with 24G, problem went away ! Not fixed, I just found a work around. I strongly suspect the game / driver is trying allocate memory, fails for some reason (8G too small??) then crash.
Could be. I've just tried lowering the texture settings to low (im on 5700 xt) then entering Charas, and this time the scene has actually loaded in, but then still instantly crashed like it would before ,just in the scene instead of during the loading screen.

Could be. I've just tried lowering the texture settings to low (im on 5700 xt) then entering Charas, and this time the scene has actually loaded in, but then still instantly crashed like it would before ,just in the scene instead of during the loading screen.
Try installing the older driver I suggested, see if that helps.

I just wanna add a report that entering the streets of the city of Amprela did not produce an immediate loading screen crash for me, but the same crash instead occured when i got close to the entrance of the city's keep.

cpu - r3600
gpu - 5700 xt

Back
Top Bottom