Former General Manager Ali Erkin

Users who are viewing this thread

If you were reading the news about TaleWorlds, you'd see that Ali Erkin vanished to nowhere while Bannerlord was being developed in 2019. Why he left TaleWorlds while the game was being developed? He had got a better offer from someone else or there was a split in management? I thought this would affect Bannerlord's release and it clearly didn't. Why did he leave, ideas?

News 2 years ago: https://play4.uk/game-news/ali-erki...worlds-entertainment-resigned-game-news-2897/

Last edited:
Interesting and why didn't we learn of this sooner?
There are two possible explanations:
1. He was sacked for mismanaging the overall development by the owners (there are others apart from Armagan, the kind that want their ROI maximized and years of delays are a great expense)
2. He left because he couldn't maintain a schedule - with Armagan and other lead designers constantly changing the feature set and overriding his plans directly with developers (you are screwed when you have all the responsibility, but not the power that should go with it)

Edit: Ah. it was all over Reddit at the time and Callum was there calming hysterical responses.
BTW, what is this unannounced sci-fi game they are making?
Passion for sci-fi

Last edited:
Interesting and why didn't we learn of this sooner?
There are two possible explanations:
1. He was sacked for mismanaging the overall development by the owners (there are others apart from Armagan, the kind that want their ROI maximized and years of delays are a great expense)
Turkish government was also funding TaleWorlds but I didn't know there were other individuals funding TaleWorlds aswell, it's getting interesting.

2. He left because he couldn't maintain a schedule with Armagan and other lead designers constantly changing the feature set and overriding his plans directly with developers (you are screwed when you have all the responsibility, but not the power that should go with it)
That sounds logical. Maybe that's the reason he left. Bannerlord would have been greater with him maybe, idk I liked his work.

The worst case scenario would be if Armagan is devoting all his time, energies and attention to another game and devoted a section of the talent to do that, especially if it's a passion project. It's inevitably disastrous for the current project I've found, even with the best of intentions.

@Itisausername
8JJx_.png
AD5qC.png

BTW, what is this unannounced sci-fi game they are making?
whatever it is, I'll be hyped af. I can't imagine how fun a mount & blade-like space game would be. and I hope management will be better so we will get a better game

If you were reading the news about TaleWorlds, you'd see that Ali Erkin vanished to nowhere while Bannerlord was being developed in 2019. Why he left TaleWorlds while the game was being developed? He had got a better offer from someone else or there was a split in management? I thought this would affect Bannerlord's release and it clearly didn't. Why did he leave, ideas?

News 2 years ago: https://play4.uk/game-news/ali-erki...worlds-entertainment-resigned-game-news-2897/

I love dealing with controversial issues that are within the orbit of the game's development; why aren't there ambushes, devblogs used to say this and now we have this and that...etc that sort of thing.

However, the questions you are raising today I think are outside the fan-consumer "opinionable spectrum"; I mean, whatever the reasons were for Ali Erkin's quitting Taleworlds, they are within the personal/professional realm. I don't think it's ethical to engage in this kind of cotroversy as we are not giving any valuable feedback to the game's development, which IMO should be our concern.

Just one more opinion without pretending to be a white knight.

I love dealing with controversial issues that are within the orbit of the game's development; why aren't there ambushes, devblogs used to say this and now we have this and that...etc that sort of thing.

However, the questions you are raising today I think are outside the fan-consumer "opinionable spectrum"; I mean, whatever the reasons were for Ali Erkin's quitting Taleworlds, they are within the personal/professional realm. I don't think it's ethical to engage in this kind of cotroversy as we are not giving any valuable feedback to the game's development, which should be our concern.

agreed with this

However, the questions you are raising today I think are outside the fan-consumer "opinionable spectrum"; I mean, whatever the reasons were for Ali Erkin's quitting Taleworlds, they are within the personal/professional realm. I don't think it's ethical to engage in this kind of cotroversy as we are not giving any valuable feedback to the game's development, which IMO should be our concern.
I strongly disagree (for a change).
If we assume that this is a professional issue (and not a purely personal one), management of a game's development is crucial - it's a difference between producing a good game on time and endless delays that give you a game that's too little and too late.
A lot of people here already assume that Bannerlord's main problem is that it's mismanaged and we are probably right.
Since TaleWorlds won't comment on internal issues like this, all we have is speculation based on bits and pieces that are public (like Erkin leaving, other devs leaving, Glassdoor comments, alarmingly numerous job vacancies...)
This is not about someone's personal stuff, it's about professional management, so it's a legitimate area of discussion, particularly for people like me that are professionally interested in development problems and management failures.
Now I really hope it's not cancer why he left, or I'll have to delete my account. :ohdear:

I agree with Terco.

For all we now Ali left for personal reasons beyond his control; besides bannerlord development is not in the hands of one man. I don't think this is worth discussing.

I agree with Terco.

For all we now Ali left for personal reasons beyond his control; besides bannerlord development is not in the hands of one man. I don't think this is worth discussing.
But maybe it should be in some ways, which is the part worth discussing.

Bannerlord feels at times to be a Vessel with no helmsman: the wave and wind are just taking it wherever now that they are in the sea they wish to be in.

Maybe there is a helmsman, but the Captain/Officers can’t make their orders clear.

Maybe there is no Captain?!?

But this ship is just bobbing at this stage, and I’m not fully confident it’s gonna pull back into port, or even which port it will pull back into

Back
Top Bottom