Fix the completely unrealistic, frustrating terrain generation

Users who are viewing this thread

I've experienced a few issue with this as well, normally it wouldnt matter much but having an army of cavalry spawning between mountains with pretty much a 75 degree set of slopes around them doesn't turn out too well. Even with real mountains the peaks of them aren't even that close together and there is some flatland between.

I'd like proper forests when you're in forest areas as well.  I mean big, scary looming trees, tightly packed brush that you can ride through but slows you down etc.

You have my support, try fighting 100v100 khergit I just want to bash my screen in everytime I battle outside of my castle because the terrain is like Mt. Everest all over the place.

This is what happens when a game is rushed to market.    So much of this game could be better.  Imagine if this game were made by a company that had the resources to really make it shine.  We'd have better trees, better character models, animations, bigger maps with more detail to them and the larger map would have more detail and look 100% better.

Someday I hope TaleWorlds hires more artist and programmers and they make this game the way it should be made.  Imagine the game we'd be playing if they used up to date graphics and animations.  ^_^

Actually, to make some nice mountains. You'd need big environments, mountains are big and you can see them from large distances, so not a big mountain in front of you and thats it. Then, some big rock meshes (there are very few of them) well placed, AI capable of avoiding them, and some good physics. So if a knight go with his horse from top to down in a 70º mountain it actually falls rather than stick to the ground and just move slowly.

Not mentioning that the AI always try to step over the mountain rather than flank it.

M&B works perfectly with plain terrains, with low hills, horses accelerate accordingly, etc. But, when the hill becomes more inclined, then it starts to work un realisticaly, and in case of the AI, plain dumb.

Teala said:
This is what happens when a game is rushed to market.    So much of this game could be better.  Imagine if this game were made by a company that had the resources to really make it shine.  We'd have better trees, better character models, animations, bigger maps with more detail to them and the larger map would have more detail and look 100% better.

Dude, things that you just mentioned aren't important! GAMEPLAY! That's what is important!
I do not need good graphics. I prefer to have game without bugs than foto-realistic graphics.

I'm not playing game to just watch how my units looks like. I want them to FIGHT! But AI in that game is so poor that they're not good even at it..
Isn't it weird? Fighters which do not know to fight well...

Having played Warband for about 40 hours now, I'm not so sure that the typical mountain terrains are quite as "flawed" as some have suggested here. I agree that, sometimes the huge pointy hills are unrealistic, and that these types of terrain happen too often. All too often the maps generated near mountains looks more like a crater field than mountainous terrain. If there were gradients toward one edge or corner of the map, and the terrain generator calculated drainages that created dendritic gully patterns this basic terrain form could be improved. At present it seems that what the designers have done is taken a topographic map of a mountainous region at 1:50,000 scale and rendered that same topographic patterns at about 1:250 scale and without any surface drainage or directional gradient toward a master drainage. Still, when the pointy hills are not absurdly tall relative to their breadth, the hilly maps are relatively playable. A related problem is that the terrain advantage gained by taking high ground is so tenuous because of how rapidly foot troops can run (and how limitless is their endurance when travelling at sprinting speed in full battle gear).

I think the fundamental problem is the scale of the battle maps, and the speed of infantry. Maps are far too small and infantry are far too fast both relative to the map size and horse speed. Horse speed on slops might

Agree that mountain maps that involve a gradient and scale peaks to a more appropriate size would be a welcome addition, but I think that achieving this would require increasing the size of the battle maps by about 5 to 10 times.

I would have to agree but it is not just mointains that piss me off, i hate it how when you on a bridge per say and then when you get into the battle, you are on a plain feild!? No river or bridge.....nothing....so irritating, another thing, when you battle by the sea, again nothing, just an open feild, stuff like this really pisses me off.
One last thing, it annoys me so much that when you battle in a "forest" there are a couple of trees? i no it would be hard for cavilry but cavilry do need "some" down points

antix95 said:
I would have to agree but it is not just mointains that piss me off, i hate it how when you on a bridge per say and then when you get into the battle, you are on a plain feild!? No river or bridge.....nothing....so irritating, another thing, when you battle by the sea, again nothing, just an open feild, stuff like this really pisses me off.
One last thing, it annoys me so much that when you battle in a "forest" there are a couple of trees? i no it would be hard for cavilry but cavilry do need "some" down points
Whoa, battle in a thick forest, that would be awesome!

The Chubu said:
antix95 said:
Check out the Polished Landscapes mod by Gutekfiutek, it's awesome!

I like fighting in mountain areas. You have to use the terrain, command the people to not stuck etc. It is hard and challenging.

You just suck!  :lol: :wink:

Wurzelmann said:
The Chubu said:
antix95 said:
Check out the Polished Landscapes mod by Gutekfiutek, it's awesome!
Nice! Thanks but im not playing mount&blade (other games either) currently...

I have too much time ...
terraingeneration.jpg
sorry for the size

Back
Top Bottom