Fix the completely unrealistic, frustrating terrain generation

Users who are viewing this thread

Cannot begin to explain how much crazy terrain pisses me off. I would definitely approve of more flat, or single-sloped mapping.

Not single-sloped, it should have hilly terain, but not with many steep mountains. One maybe 2 or 3 hills.

PrinceGhaldir said:
Not single-sloped, it should have hilly terain, but not with many steep mountains. One maybe 2 or 3 hills.

Ok, that is true, I agree. But what I meant to say was that the map should have one general slope if it's near a mountain, with a few discrepancies scattered around.

Could we also put more variety in maps while we are at it.

They're a bit bland with undulating terrain and the odd tree here and there. I'd like more stuff in them ideally.
Even if its a few mores trees and rocks or some ponds and streams about the place.
Something that will make the terrain dynamic and give different opportunities for tactics.

Also can we have small random maps for multiplayer.
And snow. Snow would be nice too.

Liam the Ranger said:
I agree. If you want to make it harder for cavalry which I guess is the point then adding some fences, ditches or even develop boggy ground to slow them down would be great, the vertical slopes are just stupid. The fact you were traveling on the map at the same speed as when your on the flat makes no sense either.
Agree that the mountain battles can be awefull, a wheat field with a fence around it would be cool :razz:

DrunkenOrc said:
Cannot begin to explain how much crazy terrain pisses me off. I would definitely approve of more flat, or single-sloped mapping.

Plus One Million here.......  Warband is almost unplayable for me because of the ridiculously insane terrain...  I have to purposely herd my enemies into FLAT portions of the map just to get semi-decent terrain to fight on.

+another one here... just had 3 battles in a row yesterday where i started looking straight into a mountain side (and a different one each time) which where something like an 80% incline or something like it... not to mention that fighting in that terrain... well if I should say it, it feels like somewhere from outer space terrain... so please... give terrain generation some love soon :smile: love this game but this is one of the few things that bug me when i see it and have to fight in it

Liam the Ranger said:
I agree. If you want to make it harder for cavalry which I guess is the point then adding some fences, ditches or even develop boggy ground to slow them down would be great, the vertical slopes are just stupid. The fact you were traveling on the map at the same speed as when your on the flat makes no sense either.

yes.  I made some mod-scenes to replace castles with 'natural' defences, and made marshland by having shallow water liberally strewn with Barrier-4m scene props. 
Made for a very interesting position to either defend or to attack.  Took hours to do one scene though!

terrain generation is one of my favorit features of this game but the hilly randomly generation is a bit off radome planes is pretty deacent though.

Hate to say this but I actually like fighting in the mountains some of my favorite battles have gone down where I massed rhodok sharpshooters on a hill and used my Calvary to push the enemy into training to assault the mountain.
At the same time however the terrain generation does need some help, and the suggestions for a map-wide slope seems to be the best and easiest way to add realism as the foothills of a mountain range may be bumpy and have peaks and valley but there is a general upward slope as they approach the peaks.
on top of that the amount of peaks should be reduced a small bit or changed so they are connected like a range.
1/2 of my mountain battles are amazing the other half sucks mainly due to the fact that with the current generation you occasionally get nearly unplayable maps.
But I still think the mountains should keep their height and difficulty just the addition of the above mentioned would add realism.

Nobody said the height was wrong, only that there is valley between the "mountains."

The terrain generation does need some help,
eg. a map-wide slope seems to be the best and easiest way to add realism as the foothills of a mountain range may be bumpy and have peaks and valley but there is a general upward slope as they approach the peaks.
on top of that the amount of peaks should be reduced a small bit or changed so they are connected like a range.
1/2 of mountain battles suck mainly due to the fact that with the current generation you occasionally get nearly unplayable maps.

Estoral, we agree with you to a considerable extent.

Question: If there is an overall gradient of hill with some randomly generated noise, how do you decide who spawns on the high ground?
I'm not sure if I would like it if I had no control over my strategic position on the battle map, and I think it would be kinda bland if everyone started at the same middle height with the slope parallel to the lines of the armies.

I would like to see a more realistic mountain generation system. I'm just nervous about the implementation and how it could be potentially irritating.

Personal opinion here, but I think that Warband has gotten worse when it comes to Mountain/Hilly battle terrain generation.  And now they've added the 'One Path' through these Mountain/Hills that your horsemen will take.  A Cavalry charge ends up being one long line of bumper-cars, snaking it's way towards the enemy via the 'One Path'.

It's not even fun to watch a Mounted charge anymore.  I just send them off, grit my teeth and leave to do something else.

mailor said:
Any info if this issue is adressed? I HATE those "mountains".

+1, I couldn't see ANYONE ever walking through mountains like that, much less fighting on them.... especially when the battles always seem to spawn you at the worst spots, then you walk 100 yards and you're in a pretty sizeable valley (which would have been a lot more likely for you to be walking through when you were ambushed...

At any rate, the mountain generation is insane.  :mrgreen:

there should also be houses, farm buildings (in the plains) tents (in the steppes) and mines (in the mountains) since people don't just live in towns and villages, there are also some isolated people on farma.

paladir said:
there should also be houses, farm buildings (in the plains) tents (in the steppes) and mines (in the mountains) since people don't just live in towns and villages, there are also some isolated people on farma.

I think this is one area that they could take some ideas from Medieval: total war.... look at the landscapes in that game, they're terrific.  A few more farms, houses, sloping hills, and in general more involving terrain would be a next step in my mind  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom