Resolved e1.4.3.237794 Level up prevention due to skill point requirement bug

Users who are viewing this thread

ExCess

Recruit
Hello,

since I updated my game yesterday (20th august), I noticed that my skill point (SP) requirements for the level up dramatically changed / increased.
Before patch 1.4.3 I had about 90/100 SP, to reach Level 20.
Now I need over 147000 skill points which means an average of +8000 skill points per skill in order to get the next level. (see the picture below)
As I said everything was good before patching the game...

If neccessary, my specs:

WIN 10 Pro (10.0.18363)
RTX 2070 Super
Ryzen 7 3800x
32 gb RAM
ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
2,5 TB SSD (combined)

Looks like it's now XP instead of SP, this way it is probably easier to level up late game.
For example your skill increase from 200 to 201 (which takes much more XP to do, right?) is more rewarding than skill increase from 20 to 21 - before it was the same 1 SP.

Good assumption, but would be not better to call it experience points ?
I didn't check whether increasing a skill by 1 point gives a specific amount of XP.
But its quite ****ty that my pogress bar went down from 90% to ....5%?

I've gotten the same issue lately. It doesn't seem to actually affect anything as far as I've found, as I still level up as normal, and beyond looking crazy it hasn't hindered anything. Not sure if it's XP, either, as it only moved up whenever I gained a skill point for me, and the increase seems to be equal to how it was before- every skill point gained registers as hundreds on the bar, and I level up as quickly as I did before.

I played an hour today and i noticed that you gain SP/XP over time. It's not that much but still ok.
1 skill level up gives you around 1k SP/XP
But apparently only higher skill 40+ or something.
I checked my SP bar after I gained 1 point in engineering (3 -> 4), nothing changed.
Its ok for me if higher skill level ups give your decent amount of SP/XP but if you dont get any SP/XP for low skill level up it's going to be quite frustrating.
If you start the game you can only gain level ups through idling or walking around.
Seems pretty bad for me.
I like the old system, that you have to gather a specific amount of SP to increase your level.
The higher the next level the more SP is necessary.

What I noticed aswell:
I have Smithing at 273.
Just one high tier forging gave me over 30k SP/XP. Thats approx 15-20% for a level up.

But in the end I can't level up!
See picture below.

Last edited:
OK, I can explain it, I already figured out where is a catch:
1. XP gained is independent at your certain skill (for example you will have 2x XP for skills, but for level XP it will always be 1x), you will still get XP (for example blacksmithing) even if you reached maximum skill level.
2. XP limit is infinite. You can have evem bilion XP and you will not get a new level. I think that XP system is not completely changed from previous patch, next level(s) you will gain only when you reach certain amount of XP AND some of your skills have to get a new level (for exapmle incerasing archery by 1 point). Of coure if you have far more XP, you can get multiple new levels as well. Speaking from personal experience.

By the way, I had the same problem, because XP of level is not yet fully independent on skill upgrading, I think.

So I reported this issue before and was told it is the intended functionality with the points being XP now instead of SP. While the number looks bigger, you may find that level up actually happens a bit quicker. It confused the heck out of me when I was playing 1.4.3 in beta. I think they should change the description of SP to XP on the level up bar. The bug is that while it is based on your xp, you still need to get a skill point after maxing the bar in order for the lvl up to take effect.

/ff

I created a new character....
I don't mind but it's quite unlikely that my save game gets fixed.

Have a nice day.

There's nothing wrong with your old save. The reason you couldn't level up is because while levels go by raw XP, you still need to get a skill point to trigger the actual level up. I don't know if that's intended or an oversight, but as soon as you get a skill point in anything, you'll level up. This way works a lot better since you still get XP for using skills that are over the learning limit. You won't get any more skill points in that skill, but you'll get plenty of XP towards your next level up.

Also, just an aside, but leveling Smithing too early in the game can really hurt your development over the long run, since its harder to gain skill points the higher your level. So you could easily get up to level 20-25 just sitting in town smithing javelins, but then its going to be so much slower to level the other skills you need. I kind of ruined my last playthrough that way. Now I only let my companions smith for me, and my combat skills are already higher after 100 days than they were at 400 days

Back
Top Bottom