Do you like the idea of 'respawning' in Warband?

If you die in warband, should you respawn, or be out of that game, and have to wait for the next one

• Yes, let me die and kill over and over again

Votes: 27 11.2%
  • Yes, but a limited amount per team.

Votes: 28 11.6%
  • Yes, but a limited amount per person

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • Maybe once or twice, during a reinforcement spawn

Votes: 88 36.4%
  • No. You're dead. Go away.

Votes: 60 24.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

killer-blead said:
Don't worry archery will be a bit harder for people with all the melee-ers running around (with shields). + Arching has never been easy enough to spoil a game.
Depending on which version you were playing, archering often completely ruined age of chivalry (half-life 2 medieval mod). In some versions it was quite balanced, but then they changed it, making footmen able to die from 1 (yes ONE, as in O-N-E) javelin or crossbowbolt, knights from 2 or 1 headshot. In another version, the shortsword was made more powerful, making archers almost as potent as knights in melee. Actually even more powerful, because the knight/footman usually had to use up all his stamina to get near the archer, resulting in a lot of taunts.

One of the main reasons I stopped playing AoC after playing it quite some time (together with the discovery of M&B :grin:)

And piercing should still be less armor-neglecting :razz:.

It would be a lot harder to hit humans with archery then the AI. A ton harder. Lets not discuss archery before we see how it works on Warband. You cant say piss taste like crap before you've tasted them, if you get the picture.

Back to the whole respawn thingie, if you look at Counter Strike and BattleField you can find several.

Team Deathmatch: This means that the 2 teams fight until every member of 1 team is eliminated. Then both teams respawn and fight again. Like the normal CS game. I believe this could work in M&B.

Deathmatch: This means that when you die, you respawn. Like CS deathmatch, Quake, Unreal Tournament, whatever. This could also work, but this is perhaps the least realistic. But it should be possible to make a DM server, cause playing DM is fun! Just run like a madman, kill, die, respawn. Nice for people who are not that good, because they can play and play and play, and when they die it don't hurt the team much. DM should be implemented, it is one of the best ways for new players to get the grip of the game without hurting the team.

Tickets: This means that each team have several "tickets" to respawn. So, if a team have 30 tickets it means that players from that team can die and respawn 30 times. I think it could work, but it would either be as a limited DM, or like in BF where you respawn after a certain time along with others. It could work with M&B.

Now comes the other types of respawningsystems, from M&B and other ideas.

M&B Respawn: When your army have lost 50% of the men on the battlefield you get reinforcements, IE the guys who have died. This however needs to be limited in some way, preferably by a limited number of waves. This would probably be the best.

Tickets based on trooptype: Would work like in BF, but that different types of troops have different amounts of tickets. Like Captain Lusts idea. I think this could work.

Many people use Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, skype, what ever to communicate with their team via microphone, but it would be nice if they implement it in the game and that it works like it should. Take CounterStrike, the ingame voicechat lowers the game sound when you use it, and the sound is important in CS, so the ingame voicechat is almost never used.

Oh yes, that is by far the most important feature of a voicechat, to be able to mute anyone you want. It could be quite easy to do this with a button on the scoreboard, or a command, like /mute njawb, and you mute the player called njawb.

stygN said:
Oh yes, that is by far the most important feature of a voicechat, to be able to mute anyone you want. It could be quite easy to do this with a button on the scoreboard, or a command, like /mute njawb, and you mute the player called njawb.

/mute AngryGermanKid.

God that would me a bliss. And there should be different channels for different troop types too. Like a private channel for archers and another one for infantry

I hate when you're besieging a castle, going for the last survivors that are inside the walls, of course once a third of your force is there, the enemy 'respawns' and kills them. I crush the uprising and a third of my force gets there again (they don't seem to hear my orders or just not stop ealry enough), a 'respawn'.
So, no, you're out.

Revilo said:
That still leaves the problem of a few people wasting the respawns for the rest of their class. Vote kicking would fix this though
A mechanic that leads to good people trying to get the bad ones kicked is always a good one. [/sarcasm]

Whatever the respawn policy is of battles (two teams forming formations and stuff like that), there should always be an instant-respawn, classic and chaotic (team) deathmatch mode. Little tactics, lots of sword fun.

I personally prefer respawns coming in waves, sort of like Day of Defeat does it. Basically, the first person to die starts the counter, and everyone who dies after simply gets tacked on to the wave. Once the counter reaches zero, they all respawn at once. With a respawn counter of sufficient length, it allows you to temporarily take people out of the fight.

Of course, I honestly would prefer if this could be left up to server admins, mod makers and map makers. Giving people the choice is always the best option. Naturally, it will lead to some instant respawn servers like Team Fortress 2, but that's unavoidable. There will be many servers with respawn timers. I know if I host one, even if I have to find a mod to do it I will find a way to enable respawn timers.

Back
Top Bottom