Dev Blog 01/03/2018

Users who are viewing this thread

[parsehtml][IMG]https://www.taleworlds.com/Images/News/blog_post_29_taleworldswebsite.jpg[/IMG] Hump day is behind us and the weekend is in sight; Thursday is upon us and it is time for another of our weekly updates! Grab a cup of [i]camel-mile[/i] tea, sit back and let us introduce you to a new addition to the [b]Mount[/b] & Blade series. [/parsehtml]Read more at: https://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/49

Captain Dead said:
Dear Taleworlds

You have taken so long to Create this game i'm no longer interested i've gone thru the stages of Hype for this game and In the 5+ **** YEARS!!!!

I no longer Care about this game It's Outdated And OLD news that leads me onto the case of Answering a Question many ask Yes you can take Too long Creating a game

People Like Warband With all the flaws and bugs yet Still people play it to this day!!

Just gonna Leave that Here  :lol: :lol:

- Doesn't care about the game
- Posts on the game's forum about his lack of interest

i have a suggestion could we possibly add so when you become a lord of a city or castle you could sit on ur chair/throne and menues come up allowing you to give orders instead of moving around to ur servants, taking away from feeling powerful. idk adding some quick selection of crowns to wear, wifu/queen etc wear crowns while in castle/town. more dialogue to wifu. able to take wifu out for combat would be really nice palease.
.get/or be able to equip horses/camels with armour. this could be a mod/update/dlc anything. I would like to Bond with my horse :smile:. take your time making the game awesome.

Lord Farquad said:
i have a suggestion could we possibly add so when you become a lord of a city or castle you could sit on ur chair/throne and menues come up allowing you to give orders instead of moving around to ur servants, taking away from feeling powerful. idk adding some quick selection of crowns to wear, wifu/queen etc wear crowns while in castle/town. more dialogue to wifu. able to take wifu out for combat would be really nice palease.
.get/or be able to equip horses/camels with armour. this could be a mod/update/dlc anything. I would like to Bond with my horse :smile:. take your time making the game awesome.

Horse armour is already in the game, it’s a separate slot.
I like the idea of sitting at the head of your court and seeking council and/or delegating responsibilities. As for ‘wifu’ being taken to battle, I doubt that suits TW’s feudal society simulation.

AmateurHetman said:
Lord Farquad said:

I like the idea of sitting at the head of your court and seeking council and/or delegating responsibilities. As for ‘wifu’ being taken to battle, I doubt that suits TW’s feudal society simulation.

Yeah I agree that would be really cool sitting in your throne room making decision without running to every single NPC and going through each dialogue.
Also lmao hetman  :lol:

Dethikus said:
AmateurHetman said:
Lord Farquad said:

Yeah I agree that would be really cool sitting in your throne room making decision without running to every single NPC and going through each dialogue.
Also lmao hetman  :lol:

I agree with the lads about giving orders, that would be a nice feature and it will give players the fell of being a powerful noble/lord/king, but taking your wife to battle seems unnecessary.

Elephants would be amazing as mounts
And what factions should have elephants? Considering none of the cultures that inspired Bannerlords factions didn't used elephants. Not to mention they are going to be op and break the game imo. If some modder wants to put elephants no problem, but I don't think they should be included in the vanilla game.

I have a question for Callum ,when will we see a new gameplay video ? at E3 ?

Bloid said:
Two-humped camels when? Can only those kinds survive in non-desert climates?
Dromedaries can also survive everywhere (coldtropical places being the exception). Would not make much sense to add "attrition" to kill camels and dromedaries in colder regions, it would unbalance factions too much (and killing horses in arid regions too).

About the blog: really awesome. Honestly, you can't make a game out of mostly ground-breaking stuff, nothing works out that way (that thing about needing a lot of familiarity and a little bit of strangeness for us to see innovation, new and interesting stuff, etc). And if there were far too many 'groundbreaking changes', it wouldn't be Mount & Blade anymore, it would become something else and we would resent that.
Camels are a really necessary addition for more diversity. Not a fan of camels, but I agree wholeheartedly with the modeler: they are funny animals.

The addition (or rather exclusion) of no "## replies to the discussion" on the devblog page was also something good. It was giving that mental map that the blogs before december were having >250 replies, and the ones after january were having around ~140, while it has less to do with the popularity of the devblogs than with the late-to-new-year season, they were adding that "doom and gloom" feeling to the posts.

Really interested in knowing about your plans for gaming events this year, more things like the camel and, obviously, some more gameplay info. Anything about the campaign map (maybe a devblog on the creation and expansion of Bannerlord's Calradia would surely be astounding).

Thank you, guise, keep up the good work and waiting anxiously for more news.

From what I remember the factor that can be dangerous for camel health is humidity and not cold in per se. In deserts it can be really cold during the night not to mention the siberian cold in the Gobi desert during winter.

Also horses are not so negatively affected by dry clymet . they are just not that resistant to the luck of water as camels who in the other hand are the absolut champions in this.

Meevar the Mighty said:
sushiman said:
Elephant mount and unit.. elephant carry 3 men..armor elephant is cool.. Elephant attack in front, rider in front attack to front left and front right, and 2 in the middle attack use arrow... and camel mount.. Elephant carry ammunition and unit can use that ammo.. For camel, have bonus damage to horse.. Player kingdom with custom unit.. Custom unit edit use point.. In game character editor is back.. Family tree..  mount and blade is the title so need variety of mounted animal

O, shushiman, looking at your posts so far, you are going to be a wonderful member of the forums. Welcome.

I would like to add to the suggestion that we could also have chariots with a variety of mounted animals, so perhaps elephants on one side and a camel on the other.

It's coming true! :party:

Another filler blog. Kudos.

I gotta ask though: Why do they show us these features? Does that mean that all the core features are completed (sad), or that they are still working on those? (still hoping)

P.S.: If you want to add camels in a game like bannerlord, you must also implement one of the primary reasons camels were used in warfare: to scare off horses and disorganize the enemy cavalry. Even Age of Empires 2 (1999) had this feature, it was implemented by giving camel riders a bonus against horse riders. Something similar ought to be done here.

A game like bannerlord should have this feature. But, instead, they celebrate the fact that they made a new skeleton for camels (something even I can do in Maya, and I am considered a noob at modeling and rigging).

Bannerlord is NOT enough...  :sad:

Lamias said:
A game like bannerlord should have this feature.

read the blog again. You will notice some of the disadvantages and advantages they have against other units (like infantry and horse cavalry). It is listed in there.

It is not just "another 3d model"

I re-read the blog, and I believe you didn't understand what I meant.

Of course they have their stats, as a war asset. Spearmen get their strengths and weaknesses, archers get their own, and surely camels will have their own as well. That's to be expected. But I am not talking about the advantages and disadvantages that every unit inevitably has.

What I said was specific to camels, and their tactical use in battles. Arab lords etc knew that horses are afraid - disgusted of camels, and they used them to disorganize the enemy cavalry. It was one of the core advantages to using camels, and I did not read that in the blog. Not having this is like having spears and not being able to brace them in order to inflict major damage to cavalry, which was also a battle mechanism and marked the end of dominance of cavalry in medieval battlefields.

What I am saying, essentially, is that TW failed to implement a core warfare mechanism, and instead just gave us another mount with different stats.

I hope I am being understood, because there is a difference.

Camels scaring horses, spearmen bracing spears, fire arrows reducing enemy morale, horse charge having trampling damage, these are all battle MECHANISMS that were used back then.
Longbow delivering more damage than normal bow, camel having more hp than horses but being slower, these are all unit and weapon STATS.

Lamias said:
What I am saying, essentially, is that TW failed to implement a core warfare mechanism, and instead just gave us another mount with different stats.

what you said is that they didn't talk about one type of mechanic that is important to you, which makes the entire thingy just

Lamias said:
instead, they celebrate the fact that they made a new skeleton for camels (something even I can do in Maya, and I am considered a noob at modeling and rigging).

when they talked about a few things, like how camels can be useful against cavalry. You can, of course, read about it in the blog, no point listing it here. And that doesn't even implies that all the mechanics were described, when they were giving examples.

In short, you are overreacting on a baseless point. Maybe take a step back  :razz:

Talking about how you want this or that to be part of the feature is fine. How about you bring actual evidence of the "fear effect" you desire, which could help convince them to add it (if it is not there already)? Not something like "a game from 99 had this, so you guys should to, because reasons"

Lamias said:
I re-read the blog, and I believe you didn't understand what I meant.

Of course they have their stats, as a war asset. Spearmen get their strengths and weaknesses, archers get their own, and surely camels will have their own as well. That's to be expected. But I am not talking about the advantages and disadvantages that every unit inevitably has.

What I said was specific to camels, and their tactical use in battles. Arab lords etc knew that horses are afraid - disgusted of camels, and they used them to disorganize the enemy cavalry. It was one of the core advantages to using camels, and I did not read that in the blog. Not having this is like having spears and not being able to brace them in order to inflict major damage to cavalry, which was also a battle mechanism and marked the end of dominance of cavalry in medieval battlefields.

I hope I am being understood, because there is a difference.

Camels scaring horses, spearmen bracing spears, fire arrows reducing enemy morale, horse charge having trampling damage, these are all battle MECHANISMS that were used back then.
Longbow delivering more damage than normal bow, camel having more hp than horses but being slower, these are all unit and weapon STATS.

It's not really possible or fun to implement horses being scared of camels in mount & blade.
They have  mentioned that camels have a bonus in the desert, which is unique and certainly makes them worth using.

I'm not sure how TW plans to implement camels, and not really concerned as it's their fictional world. However, scaring horses wasn't the main reason camels were used, historically speaking. It also doesn't mean that horses would always be scared of camels; it's mostly about the horse getting used to see a camel and be familiar with its smell. As for the camel, it is a cool animal and is pretty much indifferent to horses.

Their main use was actually logistical...pack animal/mobility/survival in the desert. They also could be deployed as a strategic mount for infantry,which doesn't make them a cavalry per se, but it gave a distinct logistical advantage to fight other troops on foot. Usually, the soldiers would dismount and fight instead of charging against other cavalry, like in AOE. But there were instances where they have been used as skirmisher mounted archers, albeit infrequently.

Arab lords etc knew that horses are afraid
Horses hate the smell of camel, it has nothing to do with fear. Also a camel survives better in desert areas than a horse.
having spears and not being able to brace them in order to inflict major damage to cavalry, which was also a battle mechanism and marked the end of dominance of cavalry in medieval battlefields
I'm pretty sure that a organized heavy cavalry charge, 9 times outta 10 would penetrate any shield/spear wall.
fire arrows reducing enemy morale
Fire arrows were not used historically, thats hollywood bs. Modern research into medieval arms demonstrates how problematic shooting a burning arrow is, in fact the success rate was only about 2%. I’m sorry, but I can’t put my hands on a link to the research, but you might be able to find it with google. You can test it yourself tho, take a arrow, lit it on fire and shot it, the fire from the arrow will be extinguished in flight.

Donkeys, mules, different breeds/sizes of horses too please. If mods can do that, the official devs can.

Thalamond said:
Since hunting was a big part of the life of nobility in the Middle Ages (and beyond) I think it should be implemented into the game as well. Something like being asked by your liege lord/king to go on a hunt with him. If you are good at it - and he likes you - he will be impressed and your standing will increase with him. If, on the other hand, you are good at hunting, and he is a jealous type, you may actually decrease your standing. There are many options here for making hunting meaningful. Proper game/deer AI is warranted as well, however, if this is going to work.

And if you shoot him, your relations turn hostile.

Back
Top Bottom