Debating implementation of a Reaction/Like system

Users who are viewing this thread

Not every site needs a like dislike system, just use word, not thard hotr
It's already been argumented for and against. Read the earlier posts.

Pro: Mostly factual arguments, little emotional arguments. Examples from other communities where it work to help developers prioritize certain bugs or suggestions by upvotes. Helps users sort messages by reaction score to ease the community in finding helpful posts for the above issues or just good/fun messages in the right threads/forums. E.g. and etc:

Against: Mostly emotional arguments, little factual arguments. TL;DR: We don't wanna be like reddit or most forums on the internet because we're speshial. We don't trust ourselves (but mostly others) utilizing the system correctly. Act like moderators doesn't exist and that rollback ain't possible.

It's not scare tactics or red herrings. Upvotes/downvotes kill discussion on forums where they're implemented for several reasons, allow me to remind you of a couple that concern me the most.

1. Our lizard brains enjoy seeing points go up. We want more points. So people post memes or opinions that gets them points. If we had them for a media section or whatever, that'd be fine, probably, but not for the forum at large.

2. Reactions let people join an argument without actually attacking or defending it. A horde of upvotes/downvotes is demoralizing to argue with, and no matter how reasoned your opinion is it will always appear to be the wrong one if the other guy has a zillion points or whatever and you don't.

This isn't emotional fear mongering or whatever you want to paint it. It happens all the time, on numerous platforms (reddit being the best, most obvious and confirming example) and it's bad. If someone has something worth discussing, let them and others defend it. If it's a crap idea or whatever, there are people that will call them out without the aid of downvotes.

Also, trying to spin these theoretical arguments as "emotional" or "scare tactics" is just ridiculous. You don't have to trial every single idea to know whether or not it's bad. For instance it doesn't take a genius to realise that the current ability to post to people's profiles is just making it easier to troll people.

Reactions let people join an argument without actually attacking or defending it.

But why should you always have to defend it.
This thread, with only 7 pages already has lot's of arguments. People have for example already talked about this issue on page 4.
But sure we can add and add and add arguments to have a 100+ pages, where the same points are burried in loads of text and brought back again to have and endloses cycle of pointless back and forth.
At some point a discussion ends.
And for some discussions all arguments should lead to a conclusion which is followed by an action.
This thread for example.

... has yet to conclusively produce a convincing argument for such a system.

I guess that depends on the perspective.
But I don't think that any mindblowing arguments for either side will come anymore.
Either way, what's the point of a discussion like this when there is no final solution.
I personally would like to have either or vote or a moderator decison on the topic. Just something final.
I don't think I have anything to add to this discussion anymore.
So I'll shut up and wait what happens.

It's not scare tactics or red herrings. Upvotes/downvotes kill discussion on forums where they're implemented for several reasons, allow me to remind you of a couple that concern me the most.

1. Our lizard brains enjoy seeing points go up. We want more points. So people post memes or opinions that gets them points. If we had them for a media section or whatever, that'd be fine, probably, but not for the forum at large.

2. Reactions let people join an argument without actually attacking or defending it. A horde of upvotes/downvotes is demoralizing to argue with, and no matter how reasoned your opinion is it will always appear to be the wrong one if the other guy has a zillion points or whatever and you don't.

This isn't emotional fear mongering or whatever you want to paint it. It happens all the time, on numerous platforms (reddit being the best, most obvious and confirming example) and it's bad. If someone has something worth discussing, let them and others defend it. If it's a crap idea or whatever, there are people that will call them out without the aid of downvotes.
Allow me to also remind you there are plenty of working examples of the like-system implementation (as posted earlier in this thread). You may have some rational concerns but are they strong enough to be so very opposed to an idea which might very well just enhance the user experience?

What annoys me the most with this thread, contrary to plenty of other threads on this forum are that it appears few people actually read OPs suggestion before using logical fallancies. You may have not used one, but don't speak for the rest of the fellows. It would be ironic to defend past posters who've in their posts been arguing past (or misunderstood) the original intent for the vote-system (and whose posts I must've misinterpreted as red herrings).

To recap, the original discussion was about encouraging and making good suggestions/ideas more visible to the ordinary visitor or user who might not be as invested as you in spending hours and hours browsing threads and posts to find interesting content or good content (again, moderators does exist). As a community manager myself for the last ten years I'm well aware of the benefits, but also the consequences of making changes. As long as you can revert action and have a mature team of moderators, development and exploring fresh ideas are possible. This was not a thread about adding a like-system for memes, even though that was shortly discussed. About the thing with the dislike button in OPs post, I'd recommend to behave like a normal person and discuss that aspect without critizing the whole idea, as even I criticized it and listed alternative solutions/sites where a similar system had been implemented.

But it's clear now that even without such a system, there's already plenty of a hivemind here, and users doing selective reading. Thus I have been convinced that we shouldn't implement this suggestion, not due to risk have newcomers exploit the system before having their thread/likes taken away, but for the regulars whose sanity and eyesight would only dimish at a quicker pace. The drastically lower Bannerlord player statistics would also make suggestions like this less necessary as I'm sure the forums see less of an influx.

Last edited:
Going a bit unrelated to this particular topic but this caught my eye:

As long as you can revert action

There's no revert action around here though. Look at the forums we're stuck with now - personally I find them repulsive compared to the old forums and it's been half a year of adaptation time. Some neat features like the alarm bell and groups don't make up for the loss of intuitive use for me. Everything takes more clicks to get to and the whole things looks poor visually. I don't enjoy using it nearly as much as I used to, though part of that can be attributed to the new game being what it is. Nothing has been reverted nor will it be.

I could also go on a tangent about how Bannerlord's Multiplayer has been a massive blunder and you as a prominent Warband community hoster have surely noticed it - openly discussed and suggested about it, even. Yet there can nor will be any revert action for that, however that's outside the scope of this thread and a different problem.

Allow me to also remind you there are plenty of working examples of the like-system implementation (as posted earlier in this thread). You may have some rational concerns but are they strong enough to be so very opposed to an idea which might very well just enhance the user experience?

What annoys me the most with this thread, contrary to plenty of other threads on this forum are that it appears few people actually read OPs suggestion before using logical fallancies. You may have not used one, but don't speak for the rest of the fellows. It would be ironic to defend past posters who've in their posts been arguing past (or misunderstood) the original intent for the vote-system (and whose posts I must've misinterpreted as red herrings).

To recap, the original discussion was about encouraging and making good suggestions/ideas more visible to the ordinary visitor or user who might not be as invested as you in spending hours and hours browsing threads and posts to find interesting content or good content (again, moderators does exist). As a community manager myself for the last ten years I'm well aware of the benefits, but also the consequences of making changes. As long as you can revert action and have a mature team of moderators, development and exploring fresh ideas are possible. This was not a thread about adding a like-system for memes, even though that was shortly discussed. About the thing with the dislike button in OPs post, I'd recommend to behave like a normal person and discuss that aspect without critizing the whole idea, as even I criticized it and listed alternative solutions/sites where a similar system had been implemented.

But it's clear now that even without such a system, there's already plenty of a hivemind here, and users doing selective reading. Thus I have been convinced that we shouldn't implement this suggestion, not due to risk have newcomers exploit the system before having their thread/likes taken away, but for the regulars whose sanity and eyesight would only dimish at a quicker pace. The drastically lower Bannerlord player statistics would also make suggestions like this less necessary as I'm sure the forums see less of an influx.
Source?

Prime example of selective reading, or no previous reading of this thread or subject at all.
Oh right, it would've been much easier if you just had a selection of the top most upvoted messages within this thread.

It doesn't influence discussion anywhere else on the internet. Why is it assumed the TaleWorlds forum is such a hive of scum and villainy that it will do so here?...It's a way to say "good post" without spamming the thread with "good post". I understand the concern that certain folks will flock to liking certain opinions, but on one of the places where such opinions are more controversial than any here; a US Civil War forum, the like system doesn't even remotely do anything to the discussion that occurs.
How it can be buried if there's no sorting by likes? And now suggestions are not being buried by ****post conversations in controversial threads?
But then again, let's ignore all the fully functioning communities using the system without any issues, because we're above/underneath them.
Just some games I've got: Destiny 2 (upvote thread), Star Citizen (users reproduce issues), Minecraft (upvote thread), AoE (upvote post).

Edit: I'm not entirely for OPs suggestion. I would still like the natural ''last posted/reply''-option to be default. However, I do see the benefits of having such a system restricted to the suggestions forums, as a way to better get an overview of what a lot of users find being interesting additions (even if the whole god damn community isn't sitting 24/7 in a suggestions forum). If that system is deemed unreasonable, then a like system that isn't intervening with hierarchy would be nice just to be able to gain an overview of the most liked content this week/month/year.
Points will, whether you like the natural behavior of humans need for acknowledgement or not, make more users voice their suggestions/bugs. If you can gain acknowledgement or be highlighted by others, it might actually lead to more users being genuinely interested in proving feedback/help, rather than just trolling. It's not like moderators will disappear or won't take care of any trolls attempting to jump on the bandwagon.

This might greatly improve the situation if you're one of the users complaining over the forums being a tiny representation of what suggestions, ideas or priorities the entire community want. Then you should be pro anything which makes it easier for a larger audience to voice their opinions.

I still don't, and probably won't ever understand people who value some kind of internet up vote. Things like reddit and Facebook and Twitter with people wanting to have their **** upvoted or shared or liked... It's like an emotional disease. Or deficiency somewhere else in their life where they have to put value in imaginary updoots.

Regardless though, if you're on a forum and can't be bothered to sort through a thread your interested in without the gratification of some sort of upvote system. To the point where it actually annoys you that it doesn't exist... Well you've got some problems.

I personally would like to have either or vote or a moderator decison on the topic. Just something final.
I mean, that's already happened. Reaccs/points have been suggested numerous times in the past, and every time users have argued against it, and moderators have also agreed it's a bad idea. Their possibility was again discussed for implementation in the new forums by mods and TW staff, and it was again decided against.

Back
Top Bottom