Debating implementation of a Reaction/Like system

Users who are viewing this thread

Because every now and then someone wants to talk about it. This discussion topic is years old, nothing wrong with people having it, might as well be in one place for a while.

Why not just add something like "There won't be a like/reaction system in this forum. Please do not request this." to the Forum Rules and get over it instead of tormenting people with meaningless debate that you have already came to conclusion?

Because it's still up for debate. Lots of things can change. One day if enough people want it, or it finally seems like a good idea, it'll happen. It might be hard to gauge interest if we ban any talk of it entirely. You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to.

Personally, I would like to move with the times and use the reaction system across the entire forums, but there does still seem to be a lot of people who are averse to the idea. As Nemo said though, the debate continues so maybe one day we will add them, providing most people are comfortable with that change.

Yeah. I really prefer people reacting with words instead. It mirrors actual discussion. Upvotes and downvotes are nifty ideas but a downvote is the equivalent of sticking a thumbs down in someone’s face after they’ve said something. By itself it isn’t such a big deal but the problem is what happens down the line. The most popular words are not necessarily the most correct and a number by the side of a sentence or thought showing the acceptance or rejection could discourage or contaminate thinking about the substance of what one is reading.

This is legitimately the worst thing I've ever read.

Don't worry Callum's joking (I hope), can't wait for perfectly good posts be trash-disliked because of the poster's personality rather than their actual posts. It's something I can somewhat relate to.

I wish there was a reaction based system in these forums so I could show my dislike on ideas like reaction based system in these forums without actually trying to argue my point with words.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

On another note; If you can disable the likes/dislikes on your comments and OPs, then it's not really an issue for the sensitive lot, however, I don't think likes/dislikes should be tallied against the user, otherwise people would be posting the most cringe-inducing threads in an attempt to gather an audience, so their likes on their profile go up and it turns into a popularity contest rather than actual decent discussion on the somewhat decent OP threads. Having a like/dislike system sort of debunks the whole 'professionalism' idea, and rather just some community forum resurrected from the dark depths of tumblr.

Last edited:
What professionalism? Forum sites was build for this and like this. We do it everyday in Tom's Hardware and surprise surprise no one killed yet.

From my POV, that just sounds like scared conservatism.

What professionalism? Forum sites was build for this and like this. We do it everyday in Tom's Hardware and surprise surprise no one killed yet.

From my POV, that just sounds like scared conservatism.

Tom's hardware, as in, the site which is basically Quora for gaming? We've got a QnA 'best answers' tally, but there's no real need for like/dislikes on every (possibly controversial, if we're talking off-topic) discussion thread on the forum. Everyone wants likes, and they'll do what they can to get them (which usually means a lot more 'spam'). This forum isn't QnA (infact there's little to no QnA) but mainly consists of heated discussions from both off-topic controversial threads or on-topic clan 'beef' and controversial threads, it's not really fitting for a forum such as this one, but for a more techy style forum it fits fine - it'll clearly do more harm than good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom