Crafting Guide (Smithy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Thanks for making and posting. I had figured out most but not all of this material. What's not clear yet is whether it's worth the time/effort to level up Smithing in the first place. I feel like it might be the route to getting the best possible weapons in late game....or it might not. We just don't know yet (and maybe it isn't yet in EA, but will be on full release). Regardless, it's still something I enjoy doing; I just don't know if it's worth putting attribute/focus points into.

Worth mentioning: even if you don't intend to skill up Smithing for its own sake, it's still a good way to augment money-making: Instead of selling captured loot weapons directly, I've found it much more lucrative to smelt them down to component parts and sell those off instead. At least this is true of the low-end weapons one typically loots from bandits, anyway.

Great video. One thing I've noticed while smithing is that you seem to have a chance to unlock parts from weapons you smelt. I -think- it's separate from leveling up the skill. I'll have to pay closer attention while I'm playing today to check this.

Maybe at the end you are able to craft better weapons than top tier weapons available for purchase. Not sure yet, it would be cool though.
Also the fact you can customize all stats to fit into your playstyle may worth it.

Also the fact you can customize all stats to fit into your playstyle may worth it.

Definitely. I made myself the longest possible sword, knowing it would hurt other stats, for mounted use. (that said, it still seems far harder to actually hit someone from horseback with a 100+ reach weapon than it was in Warband). Will probably make a short-reach axe today for foot use (and for the "civilian" outfit....I haven't run into the ubiquitous Belligerent Drunk yet, but I know he's gotta be here somewhere, lol).

Thanks for making and posting. I had figured out most but not all of this material. What's not clear yet is whether it's worth the time/effort to level up Smithing in the first place. I feel like it might be the route to getting the best possible weapons in late game....or it might not. We just don't know yet (and maybe it isn't yet in EA, but will be on full release). Regardless, it's still something I enjoy doing; I just don't know if it's worth putting attribute/focus points into.

Worth mentioning: even if you don't intend to skill up Smithing for its own sake, it's still a good way to augment money-making: Instead of selling captured loot weapons directly, I've found it much more lucrative to smelt them down to component parts and sell those off instead. At least this is true of the low-end weapons one typically loots from bandits, anyway.
Well I agree that early game you won't make the best weapons, but I'm doubting that late game when you have a high smithing and the difficulty level is lower than your smithing you can probably INCREASE some stats. We'll see, thanks for your comment.

Great video. One thing I've noticed while smithing is that you seem to have a chance to unlock parts from weapons you smelt. I -think- it's separate from leveling up the skill. I'll have to pay closer attention while I'm playing today to check this.
That is something that I didn't check out yet, thanks for letting me know. Maybe that's how I unlocked the spear tips by smelting spears before.

It seems like crafting weapons is a money sink at least on low level smithing. Do I get smithing exp from smelting and refining as well? If so I think the best is to smelt all loot to level smithing and get more money from it, and then when smithing is high you can make the weapons you want. Like if you prefer damage and speed over length you can choose that, and with good skill you can make the equivalent of balanced or master work.

It seems like crafting weapons is a money sink at least on low level smithing. Do I get smithing exp from smelting and refining as well? If so I think the best is to smelt all loot to level smithing and get more money from it, and then when smithing is high you can make the weapons you want. Like if you prefer damage and speed over length you can choose that, and with good skill you can make the equivalent of balanced or master work.

Yeah, smelting/refining also gives Smithing XP (probably less, but it's there). What you describe is exactly how I'm approaching Smithing.

As an aside, the basic choice seems to be length/damage vs speed/handling. i.e., increasing length also increases damage but reduces speed and handling...and vice versa. For me (and I assume most or at least many), I prefer longer/slower/higher-damage for mounted use, but will go for a shorter/quicker weapon on foot. (not to an extreme...I don't run around with a dagger lol. But you get the idea).

You get exp for forging and smelting as I mentioned. I do not know if you get xp for refining tho, i haven't tried that. Yes forging in the end will be quite expensive as we are low level. But to be honest i kept questing in between my forging. I'm already at 30K gold from questing, if you find a good balance, forging is not that expensive, unless you don't quest on the side, or raid bandits.

I have this message on the FORGE Button.

"You haven't unlocked some of the selected pieces"

Well I have them! I'm trying to craft a Two Handed Axe and both pieces are yellow and I clicked on them!

Is this a BUG?

I have this message on the FORGE Button.

"You haven't unlocked some of the selected pieces"

Well I have them! I'm trying to craft a Two Handed Axe and both pieces are yellow and I clicked on them!

Is this a BUG?
I notice that I have to same problem on the first two handed axe we could craft. I have the materials too and still it gives me that message. I believe indeed it's a bug; maybe something we should report. The game is still in pre alpha.

It seems the Two handed Axe crafting is bugged completely!

When I smelt an axe, the pieces don't appear on my list!!! Can we report bugs? Do they look on this???

I'm quite disappointed! I mean, don't they test the game before? This is really basics.

It seems the Two handed Axe crafting is bugged completely!

When I smelt an axe, the pieces don't appear on my list!!! Can we report bugs? Do they look on this???

I'm quite disappointed! I mean, don't they test the game before? This is really basics.
Yea i notice they put more focus on different things, but yeah singleplayer was the reason they worked so long. They'll probably put out quite a few hotfixes for the coming weeks as people find bugs. I'll see if this can be reported.

Back
Top Bottom