corona? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Unnecessary partisan PoV. I didn't mention NZ because - unlike Japan or Taiwan - they did institute lockdowns, which are my major point of contention and whose blatant immorality is a hill I am willing to literally die on since covid did nothing to me anyway.
Taiwan and Japan rely on a nanny state and the sense of duty and compliance from their citizens. Something rarely found outside East Asia.
Replace the Taiwanese population with Americans (or any non-Asians really) and you would need lockdowns there too, island or not.
The problem is not with the level of restrictions, but with people being irresponsible and selfish in the name of their alleged rights.

That reminds me of simple folks from the Balkans who ask "but what about Sweden?" when demanding less restrictions, while their inability to comply with simple measures is most un-Swedish-like.

There are no absolutes in morality. Your rights are granted in light of the alternatives, it's relative. Your right to go about your business is less valid when the alternative is people die untreated in their homes.

I think you should be able to get mad and vent about it but try not to disproportionately antagonise people; 'the irrational enemy' is how people fall for attractive narratives about all their problems, and end up taking the conspiracy or jew hating pill or whatever

Last edited:
Lockdowns are really not that clear cut. Not all medical experts agree that strict lockdowns are the way to go, and as with all things one has to consider cost and benefit. The ideal situation would be to have citizens practice self distancing and trying to stay at home when they can on their own, in a responsible way. As @MadVader pointed out that unfortunately does not happen everywhere.

Vaccines on the other hand are pretty clear cut. If you want the lockdowns to go away for good, that's the way to do it.

A fascinating disease that keeps on giving (more diseases).

EDIT:
Today Danish authorities have announced a complete stop on using the AstraZeneca covid-19 vaccine, due to risk of blood clots/platelets imbalance.
Those who have received the first dose (150,000 people) will be offered an alternative (Pfizer). Only 600 have received both doses.

Danish: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/danmark-stopper-med-vaccinere-med-astrazeneca

Last edited:
Today Danish authorities have announced a complete stop on using the AstraZeneca covid-19 vaccine, due to risk of blood clots/platelets imbalance.
Those who have received the first dose (150,000 people) will be offered an alternative (Pfizer). Only 600 have received both doses.
It's curious - a political decision to allay people's (irrational) fears. In Denmark of all places - I would expect Scandinavians to be more resistant to this.
At this point, maybe the rival pharma are leaning on politicians and media.

Part of the decision is that other vaccines are available and the pandemic is well controlled in Denmark (right now).
The Ministry of Health actually doesn't rule out using it again if the situation should worsen with lack of other vaccines. But it's not likely.

The Czech minister of internal affairs has offered to buy Denmark's AstraZeneca supply ?

Google Translate
We are looking for vaccines all over the world. We are willing to buy AstraZeneca from Denmark. On Monday, I fly to Moscow, where I want to arrange possible deliveries of Sputnik V after its approval by the European Medicines Agency.
Same with Latvia

Got my first dose of the Moderna sauce around 6 hours ago. I didn't even feel the injection, I actually have more painful insulin shots. My arm is finally getting a bit sore now though, and I was told the real ****ty side effects occur the day after. Hopefully I gain superpowers tomorrow.

Got my first dose of the Moderna sauce around 6 hours ago. I didn't even feel the injection, I actually have more painful insulin shots. My arm is finally getting a bit sore now though, and I was told the real ****ty side effects occur the day after. Hopefully I gain superpowers tomorrow.
Day two of Moderna was hell for me. On day three I was as good as new.

Thanks for the warning, how bad was it?
Ongoing fever and high temperature in my case. Not really bad, but I really couldn't do anything productive, since fever messes with your head.
They say the reaction after the second dose is worse, so I'll see how that goes in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
On day 3 now, and I haven't had any side effects whatsoever, aside from my arm being sore yesterday. I'll start trying to figure out what superpowers I have.

Now I've got a question for all you non-Canadians out there - if you've been vaccinated or have been able to schedule an appointment for it, when has your local authority been scheduling your second dose?

I'm thoroughly and sincerely disappointed with my government for completely failing Canadians on this front and potentially creating deadlier variants by scheduling second dose appointments up to five months after the first dose. There's absolutely no science to support it and I'd go picket Queen's Park right now if the police wouldn't haul me away thanks to another panic-button stay at home order.

In Denmark the second dose is given 4 weeks after the first one. That's standard, and what was used in the studies.
You are automatically scheduled for both doses. (When we dropped AstraZeneca, those who had been given the first dose was offered Pfizer as alternative).
When I was vaccinated in January there was short supply and I had to wait 5 weeks, like many others. But supply has since been more stable.

If the second dose is given 5 months after the first one, it's essentially a second vaccination, meaning they consider one dose to be enough, or simply want to 'save' doses. In either case, there's no research to support that.

It depends on the vaccine. There are plenty of studies what one/two doses of vaccines do in N months.
The recommended period between doses is 3 weeks for Pfizer and 4-7 weeks for Moderna (use the CDC site if in doubt). J+J doesn't need a second dose. What's your poison? :razz:

all of them. Canada hasn't succeeded in securing a vaccine, even though canadian expertise was involved in the one used in chile, so it ordered doses from anyone and anything. It's pathetic really. Canada also refused canadian expertise to produce local vaccines and has ordered from companies outside the country to arrange for local production.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom