PSA: Perks are getting "updated/reworked"

Users who are viewing this thread

Rycon Caldestan

Sergeant at Arms
Hey all,

There have been a TON of threads regarding perks, and I hate to admit how many of them I've read.
If you search "Perk" on the forum it populates 10 pages worth of threads. Some are discussing mechanics, suggestions, or thoughts on general function based on the text written for each perk. Many are bug reports listing (repeatedly) about the various perks that Don’t work or Requests to list working Perks vs. not yet implemented ones

I think it is pretty clear that perks have only barely been implemented, considering they are mostly not listed in Known Issues Thread by @MArdA TaleWorlds .
Traits, Perks, and Character Development Issues:
  • Aserai faction bonus doesn't affect every caravan.
  • Rougery not lvling up when recruiting looters and sea raiders
  • Traits are not affecting the persuasion processes. This bug is under investigation.

But here is the good news Per Callum, (EDIT: And Again Here) perks are getting "reworked/updated"! We still don't know when, but I at least interpret that as actively being worked on. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress in this area, but at least am happy to see confirmation that work is needed and intended.

Everyone here is excited about this game. I’ve had a ton of fun with the content already produced and am excited about more.

Also, I think it is worth acknowledging that TW is working under "Normal" circumstances due to the coronavirus pandemic. I'm sure some of us can relate that working from home (particularly with young ones) can be tough :wink:.

Last edited:
Thank you for the update -- and this, is very important news indeed.

it is absolutely crucial that the perks -- EVEN IF THE DEVS THINK IS CURRENTLY IMBALANCED OR FLAWED -- need to be in the game. Because, without any idea of whether perks are working or not, the people testing the game out in early access have no idea how the relative balance within the game could change in what way, and whether that would be beneficial, or detrimental to the game.

We need to actually experience just how significant/negligible the perks are, to give the devs a proper feedback. As it is, we've basically got nothing so far. Some perks may completely change our experiences up to date inside out. So, for the sake of early access, it needs to be here.

Thank you for the update -- and this, is very important news indeed.

it is absolutely crucial that the perks -- EVEN IF THE DEVS THINK IS CURRENTLY IMBALANCED OR FLAWED -- need to be in the game. Because, without any idea of whether perks are working or not, the people testing the game out in early access have no idea how the relative balance within the game could change in what way, and whether that would be beneficial, or detrimental to the game.

We need to actually experience just how significant/negligible the perks are, to give the devs a proper feedback. As it is, we've basically got nothing so far. Some perks may completely change our experiences up to date inside out. So, for the sake of early access, it needs to be here.

It's a bit misguiding because getting into the game it's already immediately apparent that most of the content just isn't there. However, it's even less content than you think. Essentially the entire character progression system is non-existent or very limited, the economy is veerryyy basic, empire management doesn't exist, campaign and faction AI don't exist in the overworld wars are essentially random, companions are randomly generated numbers with random backgrounds, battle AI is super basic, perks don't actually exist and neither do faction bonuses.

Basically for as barebones as the game seems right now in early access, it's actually far less content than your initial impression gives, all the text is there but most of it isn't functioning lol.

Last edited:
I really hope in the final version we get a meaningful skill tree, where each perks feel relevant and useful while the powerful along the path are reward for certain milestone. Aka it should be made that we feel gradually more powerful/versertile as we traverse the tree.

Currently many of the trees are filled with useless or irelevant perks as fillers for the more powerful ones near the end. It's an approach that's common in MMO in order to inflate the number of 'builts'. I hope what we have right now are simply because they're incomplete placeholder, and not representave of the mindset the dev intended for the system.

It's a shame we have to find this information deep in forum replies rather than as a nice roadmap. Just think about how constructive our criticisms would be if we had some glimpse into the dev's plans for the future.

This topic title cracks me up, of ****ing course they are, most aren't even codded into the game and many don't even use the same in game terminology in their description as the rest of the game.

And when they update them there will still be tones of topics about them either that they aren't good enough or still don't work right.
If we're lucky in a year we'll all be satisfied by the leveling/perk stuff but until then everyday expect a truckload of "hey where's my ****?" posts.
We want all our ****.

This topic title cracks me up, of ****ing course they are, most aren't even codded into the game and many don't even use the same in game terminology in their description as the rest of the game.

And when they update them there will still be tones of topics about them either that they aren't good enough or still don't work right.
If we're lucky in a year we'll all be satisfied by the leveling/perk stuff but until then everyday expect a truckload of "hey where's my ****?" posts.
We want all our ****.
Agreed. However, more posts keep getting made on this subject, so here we are.

It's a bit misguiding because getting into the game it's already immediately apparent that most of the content just isn't there. However, it's even less content than you think. Essentially the entire character progression system is non-existent or very limited, the economy is veerryyy basic, empire management doesn't exist, campaign and faction AI don't exist in the overworld wars are essentially random, companions are randomly generated numbers with random backgrounds, battle AI is super basic, perks don't actually exist and neither do faction bonuses.

Basically for as barebones as the game seems right now in early access, it's actually far less content than your initial impression gives, all the text is there but most of it isn't functioning lol.

Thats my take on this game at this point as well. The other issue that comes to mind is that this is after at least years of development. EA is one thing but this game was tested prior to EA and when is EA over? In a year? I just dont see it making as much as a improvement over warband that i was hoping for... Im on this forum to remain optimistic.

Thats my take on this game at this point as well. The other issue that comes to mind is that this is after at least years of development. EA is one thing but this game was tested prior to EA and when is EA over? In a year? I just dont see it making as much as a improvement over warband that i was hoping for... Im on this forum to remain optimistic.

I don't really know what happened with pre EA development, but I really doubt this game was tested, given how many bugs were/are there. TW clearly screwed up with the initial release, and they know it. The hope is that they will make up for it now that things are out in the open.

Back
Top Bottom