Can anyone involved with development tell me when I can expect siege AI to be competent?

Users who are viewing this thread

I’m a long time lurker and fan of the mount and blade series. I still remember begging my mom in Bestbuy and getting her to buy the original mount and blade because the warrior on the box cover looked like aragorn, when I was a kid. I’ve probably spent thousands of hours on that game and warband. I bought Bannerlord at release and have put in about 100 hours into the game over this last year. I’m trying not to burn myself out on the game and pace myself. I understand the game is in early access.

I have been monitoring development of the game regularly. I understand that 1.56 was a big update and it is nice to see significant content be added to the game. That being said, I’m not going to start another playthrough till the siege AI is significantly better. During my last playthrough I resorted to auto resolve or cheap trebuchet/catapult spam to force a breach. Because the siege AI is so terrible on offense and defense. Can anyone in touch with the development team give me a rough estimate on when the siege AI will be competent? I would prefer an answer that isn’t, “soon”.

I understand that the problem has to do with the scenes and their pathfinding and that it likely has to be done individually for each castle and town design. I also know that keep battles are a planned content update in the future. So hopefully that means their has been a shift towards fixing sieges in regards to development. I don’t mean to be crass or rude, but it would be really dumb to add something like keep battles for sieges when it is a broken feature and avoided regularly in playthroughs among the playerbase.

Can the devgods be so gracious as to give me any kind of timeline? Such as “1-3 months or 3-6months”.

I’m going to be frank, I’m not going to play or support the game till the siege AI/pathfinding is remarkably better.

Sincerely,
Longtime fan

Note: Any mod that is able to fix siege AI will be downloaded so quick by me...

I feel the same. I have no interest in playing until siege AI, pathfinding, and positioning troops before battle deployment is fully working. I don't give a damn about perks and dynastic succession. Last I played was mid-July.

It's a mess, it's going to be months I know that.
If that’s the case, good luck with the keep battle addition. I’m not going to utilize a feature that is an extension of a completely broken feature. I hope the addition of keep battles in the near future means sieges will get some love.

I’m a long time lurker and fan of the mount and blade series. I still remember begging my mom in Bestbuy and getting her to buy the original mount and blade because the warrior on the box cover looked like aragorn, when I was a kid. I’ve probably spent thousands of hours on that game and warband. I bought Bannerlord at release and have put in about 100 hours into the game over this last year. I’m trying not to burn myself out on the game and pace myself. I understand the game is in early access.

I have been monitoring development of the game regularly. I understand that 1.56 was a big update and it is nice to see significant content be added to the game. That being said, I’m not going to start another playthrough till the siege AI is significantly better. During my last playthrough I resorted to auto resolve or cheap trebuchet/catapult spam to force a breach. Because the siege AI is so terrible on offense and defense. Can anyone in touch with the development team give me a rough estimate on when the siege AI will be competent? I would prefer an answer that isn’t, “soon”.

I understand that the problem has to do with the scenes and their pathfinding and that it likely has to be done individually for each castle and town design. I also know that keep battles are a planned content update in the future. So hopefully that means their has been a shift towards fixing sieges in regards to development. I don’t mean to be crass or rude, but it would be really dumb to add something like keep battles for sieges when it is a broken feature and avoided regularly in playthroughs among the playerbase.

Can the devgods be so gracious as to give me any kind of timeline? Such as “1-3 months or 3-6months”.

I’m going to be frank, I’m not going to play or support the game till the siege AI/pathfinding is remarkably better.

Sincerely,
Longtime fan

If they didnt fix/have what they showed at gamescome aka Intelligent AI using tactics and you being vassal Ai depending on commanders traits would command you and give you where to be,what to command and where to attack.Not to mention waht was promissed of Ai actualy using formations and tactics deppending on Ai comanders traist adn skill lvl then sadly you will need to wait so much more.I even remmemr they talking how there will be like 1 lvl,2lvl,3lvl stages of siege where depending on castle lvl when sieging the Defending ai woudld be on main wall then retreat toinner wall then the fighing on streets using barricades and then ending with inner keep fight where remaining sodliers would retreat.In the end we got just basic firt wall defence and now we got keep battle and thast about it.There probbaly wont even bee layered/gradual tactical retreat to inner walls/inner baricades before entering teh final keep battle.

im quite surprised how the devs haven't really been working on sieges as much, since they were the staple advertisement for the game (both gameplay trailers including sieges were the most popular on youtube). Not a good look that they are broken and screwy in the actual game...

Right now siege AI needs massive work, the ladders/siege towers almost don't work since one or two guys go up them at a time while an entire formation wait for them to be massacred before sending another 2 or 3 guys up, rams work fine until they breach the first gate then sometimes the men that should start attacking the next gate never go forward and you have to destroy it by yourself.

Another thing that affects some siege scenes badly is lag maybe due to pathfinding, some scenes play really smooth (vlandia, empire) while others like battania and sturgia i have some massive stutters even if the game runs butter smooth in all other situations.

and i'm not even starting on defender AI that too need work so they actually defend something instead of being sitting ducks guarding the gate, would really like to see a dev talking about these issues since sieges are most of the mid-late game and really important.

It truly is sad. And seems unlikely to ever really get better as they are attaching AI logic directly to the individual maps... that is non-adaptive. That is a real mess.

People have been asking for this since day 1 of launch and it's hardly been touched.

I would be surprised if it gets fixed in 2021

If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself.

This is so true in sieges it hurts. For example, I recently discovered (this may be old news to some) that we can throw the ammo of mangonels (siege catapults) by hand - even the fire pots, turning them basically into hand grenades. If one does that while on the defending side, for example throwing htem in the crowds of attackers at the base of the ladder or siege tower , there can easily be gotten 70+ kills.

I was under the impression the defenders had it much harder than in Warband; maybe options like this were added to give the player more agency in BL, because right now command wise there is little to be done that can make a difference to the outcome.

There is a mod that fixes this problem a bit.
Download only the AI Module if you only want to change the logic of the AI.

I'm also really looking forward to the Siege AI in the game working properly.

Sincerely,
Longtime fan

There is a mod that fixes this problem a bit.
Download only the AI Module if you only want to change the logic of the AI.

I'm also really looking forward to the Siege AI in the game working properly.

One more proof showing the embarrassments of the current state of AI.
Flanking? what is that? Bots look like Justin Bieber fans chasing an autograph through the shopping centre corridors...

giphy.gif

While it is obvious it needs improvement; A.I. is not exactly an easy fix. Let's consider sieges in the total war series. A 20 year old series with 14 instalments and a much larger developer;

Like when everyone always says "God the A.I. is terrible in this game..." I want them to say - compared to what?

Name a game that does have good A.I.?

Fact is - until we get machine learning in video games A.I is always going to be janky. TW can improve it for Bannerlord but I don't know where everyone gets their high expectations from...

Back
Top Bottom